Sad day for Louisiana Goverment display in hurricane IDA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Retired last year so I lost all the company services. Switched to Verizon for phone and ATT fiber for internet and all is good. Had GETS, Firstnet, everything at work for years. Never seemed to work any better so no one used it. Text is what saved the day during Gustav, but that horse is long out of the barn.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just wanted to see if im getting the wrong feeling here or am i all alone....

Ive been through quite a few hurricanes and floods as we all have, But its been 7 days in theres no way we should be waiting in line for any amount of time and driving past 100's of gas stations with power or generator power on and plastic bags on the pumps.... we live 250 miles from Houston tx, the largest petro state in the us, and we cant get gas. Why havent the federal reserve been released? Why is it if you need a meal you have to rely on a local church or local business to get a free meal or water? Wheres fema... All im seeing is if you need fema help text a number or email them... Wheres the drop centers for water and MRE's, wheres the national guard? They might be out there somewhere, but they not in Livingston, baton rouge, french settlement, port vincent,Maurepas, head of Island, St. Amant, Gonzales ect...

Sad day when these lineman come from kansas,ect to work, and yea they getting paid good but got nowhere to sleep, gotta wait in parking lots instead of working cuase they dont have fuel for there trucks. I talked to them yesturday and they said if it wouldnt be for southern hospitality, people bringing them meals they would be in a big bind...

Sorry i just think again our government is behind the 8 ball here, they projected only 20%-30% of louisiana were hard hit by Ida... I couldnt imagine if it was 50%

I feel the same way these lineman felt

If I'm not mistaken, the state does not bring in the extra linemen. The linemen are brought in through an agreement/contract between power companies. Wouldn't it make sense for them to also bring in a fuel truck or two? It seems the lack of fuel might be due to a lack of planning by the utility companies. Or maybe the companies are too cheep to ensure they have fuel for their trucks. Entergy covers a large area. Surely fuel was available somewhere in their service area.

As far as the state and fuel, the state has set up a dozen or so fueling stations in south louisiana for state vehicles.

And the national guard was out there.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/nation...y-vehicles-between-lafitte-barataria/37484830

https://www.army.mil/article/249862/multiple_states_guard_members_support_hurricane_relief

https://www.klfy.com/louisiana/phot...-helps-communities-impacted-by-hurricane-ida/

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    So, having bought a generator and chainsaw, how does one go about getting that Joe Biden FEMA reimbursement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I'm seriously thinking of switching to Verizon. They have good coverage, but my internet is a little faster and unlimited with ATT.
    In the nola area version sucks which is why I opted to also keep AT&T. At least my personal experience. From reading the post here though it seems as if I’m the only one who has had a good experience with AT&T.

Last edited:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    A good friend of mine is Louisiana National Guard and working in Laffite right now. Here is a idea of how it's going for those guys.... Needless to say, there isn't much getting done

Edit: nothing but political ******** going on. No actual work being accomplished. Removed pictures for friends safety within unit.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    A good friend of mine is Louisiana National Guard and working in Laffite right now. Here is a idea of how it's going for those guys.... Needless to say, there isn't much getting done

Since he’s still active it’s probably not a good idea for you to be posting that. I’d hate to see someone get a hold of it and get the guy in trouble over voicing his opinion.

what he’s saying doesn’t shock me in the least bit to be honest. That’s exactly how the navy was when I was in and exactly why I decided to not reenlist. I served my 5 year contract honorably and got out after that. I had to lie until the last second about re enlisting because I knew the second I told them I was getting out I’d be black listed. The day I canceled my re enlistment my sr chief told me I was a pos for betraying the navy amd he would maybe consider bringing me meals under the bridge because that’s all I would amount to is a bum living under a bridge.

Last edited:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yikes... Yeah maybe that's why I WAS blacklisted basically in the Navy. I didn't then and still today don't hold my tongue for anyone, regardless of age, rank, or position. Maybe that's why I'm not as far ahead in life as most others. Haha

And good point. Screenshots removed

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don’t understand why these companies who make most of their money from going from storm to storm fixing electricity haven’t prepared better. I blame the big company heads for not bringing a fuel truck, a box truck with portable barracks and cots and a few big generators. It’s not the workers fault, it’s the heads of these companies. Maybe I can start a company that goes to disaster areas and sets up temporary barracks for these guys. As far as food, they have trucks to drive to gather lunch meat etc just like we have to when we run out.

As far as the availability for gas, my BIL owns a lot of gas stations, he cautioned me a few days after the storm that fuel was about to be scarce. One refinery was down and another was at half capacity, or something like that. It takes a while for them to catch up.

Now to the Red Cross etc, I’ve heard a lot of people asking why they were not set up like all of the previous storms. I can remember fire departments begging people to come get tarps and supplies because they had so much stuff. Not this time, if you don’t have Facebook you are screwed.

Now let’s talk about cell service. If anyone doesn’t drop ATT after this latest debacle then you don’t deserve to talk during a storm. As soon as I was able to pay my phones off after the flood I dropped them like a bad habit. I will be calling Verizon to discuss the data situation I’m having in my area but I was able to call the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In the aftermath of Gustav (2008), electricity in Baton Rouge was down almost exactly like Ida. There were no convenience stores open, and there was no ice, for days! 5 days after, I wrote an open letter to the Advocate newspaper sharing my thoughts to our fearless leaders on how to avoid that in the future. Remember, we know where these storms are going to hit and travel within a margin of error of just a few miles. And we damn sure certainly know that millions of dollars are going to be spent by local governments, state governments, and FEMA. Also, this is just about ice! The same planning could be used for anything people need post hurricanes or storms.

So I started offering: (summarizing here!)

1. Staging refrigerated rail cars full of ice (and water), just outside of the cone of probability. The railroads were clearing their tracks hours after Gustav passed! I saw them myself!
    2. Staging freezer trailers just outside of the CoP, full of ice and topped off with diesel. One of the pallets could be extra diesel to run the reefer(s)/fuel the trucks (if necessary).
    3. Using Chinooks or Sky-cranes to drop refrigerated containers of Ice/water in those hard to reach places (inaccessible by road), but heavily populated with hurricane victims that need ice. They didn't hesitate to use these things to drop in those 5,000 lb sandbags to clog the breaches in the various storms.
    4. Get the Guard or the Army involved early!

As for communications? WTF? We have a go kart on Mars that is being driven around by remote control from Earth. We landed a rover on a moving comet a billion miles away! When are the powers that be, going to hold these communications businesses accountable for their mistakes, or short cuts, or lack of properly updated infrastructure/towers/lines, etc? I get the electricity issues, but these phones are on wireless networks. How can we afford to allow simple communications technicalities to shut down our lifelines to our families, friends, police, rescue, etc?

Spend the money you cost cutting shitbags, to make your customers (and first responders), not be inconvenienced, or worse, killed!

Real leaders would be looking for the answers to these issues so they can be addressed BEFORE the next time! But I won't hold my breath that they will listen or learn! And yet, here we are again! Only 13 years removed from Gustav! Same problems! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    In the aftermath of Gustav (2008), electricity in Baton Rouge was down almost exactly like Ida. There were no convenience stores open, and there was no ice, for days! 5 days after, I wrote an open letter to the Advocate newspaper sharing my thoughts to our fearless leaders on how to avoid that in the future. Remember, we know where these storms are going to hit and travel within a margin of error of just a few miles. And we damn sure certainly know that millions of dollars are going to be spent by local governments, state governments, and FEMA. Also, this is just about ice! The same planning could be used for anything people need post hurricanes or storms.

So I started offering: (summarizing here!)

1. Staging refrigerated rail cars full of ice (and water), just outside of the cone of probability. The railroads were clearing their tracks hours after Gustav passed! I saw them myself!
    2. Staging freezer trailers just outside of the CoP, full of ice and topped off with diesel. One of the pallets could be extra diesel to run the reefer(s)/fuel the trucks (if necessary).
    3. Using Chinooks or Sky-cranes to drop refrigerated containers of Ice/water in those hard to reach places (inaccessible by road), but heavily populated with hurricane victims that need ice. They didn't hesitate to use these things to drop in those 5,000 lb sandbags to clog the breaches in the various storms.
    4. Get the Guard or the Army involved early!

As for communications? WTF? We have a go kart on Mars that is being driven around by remote control from Earth. We landed a rover on a moving comet a billion miles away! When are the powers that be, going to hold these communications businesses accountable for their mistakes, or short cuts, or lack of properly updated infrastructure/towers/lines, etc? I get the electricity issues, but these phones are on wireless networks. How can we afford to allow simple communications technicalities to shut down our lifelines to our families, friends, police, rescue, etc?

Spend the money you cost cutting shitbags, to make your customers (and first responders), not be inconvenienced, or worse, killed!

Real leaders would be looking for the answers to these issues so they can be addressed BEFORE the next time! But I won't hold my breath that they will listen or learn! And yet, here we are again! Only 13 years removed from Gustav! Same problems! :rolleyes:

I agree. On a side note, the new iPhone coming out next month is suppose to have SATphone capabilities.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I can only speak for what I'm seeing nearby, but the lineman are for the most part well set here. Northshore Square Mall parking lot has been turned into a huge encampment, they have rows of sleeper trailers, a huge meal service set up, and numerous fuel trucks. Many of our reserves and corrections officers are making a killing on detail there, three people round the clock. There are some groups in hotels, and I've only seen a couple small, independent contractors camping in tents in some empty parking lots, but they got their act together at the mall!

We've had a FEMA site at a park here in town, but from what I hear they're giving a day's worth of MREs/water per person in the car per day, so if you want or have to rely on them for food, you have to go sit and burn gas waiting daily, and the whole family has to take the ride. After Katrina, they were slinging full cases of MREs and water into every car coming through, and people didn't have to spend every day waiting in line for their allotment. Y'all put your tin foil on now...maybe that's how "they" want it to be.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I agree. On a side note, the new iPhone coming out next month is suppose to have SATphone capabilities.

Allegedly. I've seen a few conflicting articles that say it won't be what people are thinking it will, and not in all locations.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I’m anxiously awaiting

Same. I don't think it'll happen, but I'm all for it.

I actually was recently looking into satphones or even the Garmin satellite devices for myself / parents. I could use one for hiking and backpacking and it'd be handy. Them having one would work for random events like hurricanes. They're just quite pricy and require a monthly subscription, which I'm not too keen on.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I drove past the Lamar Dixon Center yesterday and saw dozens of utility trucks in rows, sitting idle. One can only speculate why they weren't working on the power grid. I can't say

A co-worker of mine talked to some linemen who were sitting in Amite. They said they were waiting on utility poles, transformers, and other equipment. They had to stop the repair work because they ran out of equipment.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    So, having bought a generator and chainsaw, how does one go about getting that Joe Biden FEMA reimbursement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will probably not get reimbursed. I applied for a reimbursement for the chainsaw I bought and so far it is still pending. You have to meet a long list of requirements to qualify for the reimbursement, it is not automatic. I have been seeing a ton of people say they applied for the reimbursement and were denied.

metry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    Maybe ya'll have forgotten or just weren't here, but it was MUCH MUCH worse after Katrina. Both the governor and the president were clueless. All local banks were closed shut - you couldn't get at your money. Gas in Baton Rouge was $3 a gallon (in 2005!). My home in Jefferson Parish was without power for more than two months.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Maybe ya'll have forgotten or just weren't here, but it was MUCH MUCH worse after Katrina. Both the governor and the president were clueless. All local banks were closed shut - you couldn't get at your money. Gas in Baton Rouge was $3 a gallon (in 2005!). My home in Jefferson Parish was without power for more than two months.

i haven't forgot... to me it was way better!!! yea a few banks went under water in NOLA, but every corner i went on the national guard were thowing tarps, water, MRE's, was able to get gas where ever i needed to, and i was paying $3 for gas just 2 weeks ago not to mention the state of LA. was in a bad spot then and would have been in a recession and every thing was high $ if it werent for katrina ... in 16 years you would think it would have gotten better... But everybody had diff experiences i guess

Top Bottom