Sad Story- 13yo commits suicide in class

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - An official from Lake Charles Memorial Hospital confirms that the 13-year-old boy who attempted suicide at the St. Theodore Holy Family School in Moss Bluff has died from his injuries.

It was shortly after 7:30 in the morning at St. Theodore Holy Family Catholic School when authorities say a thirteen year old boy with a gun shot himself, in an apparent attempt to take his own life. Superintendent of schools Kimberlee Gazzolo issued a brief statement about what happened. "Diocesan officials can confirm at this time that the incident at St. Theodore Holy Family Catholic School in Moss Bluff involved one student only with a self inflicted wound. We will continue to pray for the family, the students and the school community. No further questions will be taken at this time and a statement will be issued at 2 pm at the Chancery office at 414 Iris in Lake Charles."

The incident is under investigation by the Diocese of Lake Charles and Calcasieu Sheriff's Department. Captain Doug Poole answered a few questions from the substation in Moss Bluff. "The incident involved a firearm but no other student was injured."

The school was locked down at first which requires everyone to stay where they are and no one can go inside or leave the school Later parents could be seen arriving at the school to pick up students.

Poole says the parents were contacted by the school to come get their children. Said Poole, "Approximately 7:41 a.m. This morning the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Department responded to an incident that occurred at St. Theodore's Holy Family Catholic School. The patrol division, CDU units and safe school units responded immediately and it was determined it was an isolated incident involving a single student. Once the scene was safely secured the parents were allowed to come retrieve their students and take them home."

He says the students were sent home in a smooth and orderly fashion. "The situation was quickly and effectively brought under control," said Poole.

Classes at Holy Family School have been suspended until Monday.

Continue checking kplctv.com and watch later editions of 7 News for more details on this tragic story.

Copyright 2010 KPLC. All rights reserved.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    and it's directly across the road from a very large public high school....those kind of possibilities are scary as well

yea.....please no FFZ jokes

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Hopefully this child wasn't abused by his priest

That thought never entered my mind. Just that the child was 13yo which for some is a tough time. I call it the ugly duckling stage. Hormones are raging, they are trying to figure out who they are, peer pressure, drugs/alcohol. It's can be brutal.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Not a clue ....how does a mind, young or old, arrive at this decision ???

A few months ago our neighbors brother got mad when he was asked to leave cause he was really screwed up...his response was to draw and shoot...himself...

I suppose that was a violent reaction of some sort

But a young person walking into his own class and doing this....it's way past me

I hope as well it was not a reaction to something like abuse from anyone but I'm guessin this is a real possibility

Maybe more will surface , I hope...

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    I'm just thinking about the trauma this introduces into the minds of the classmates who witnessed it. They have problems with no solutions as well, puberty, the trials of being a teen and dealing with the realities of life. I think at that age something like this creates a permanent place in each one of those kids life from now on. Especially in a school that focuses on a teaching system based on god. Obviously nobody yet knows what the underlying troubles of the young boy were and would never assume the church caused them but I think they clearly did no help solve them either.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I'm just thinking about the trauma this introduces into the minds of the classmates who witnessed it. They have problems with no solutions as well, puberty, the trials of being a teen and dealing with the realities of life. I think at that age something like this creates a permanent place in each one of those kids life from now on. Especially in a school that focuses on a teaching system based on god. Obviously nobody yet knows what the underlying troubles of the young boy were and would never assume the church caused them but I think they clearly did no help solve them either.

Having to help deal with a similar situation, I feel safe in saying that everyone who was a witness to the act has had their life altered. I pray, yes I pray for people and don't use that expression lightly, that something from this event can be turned to a good cause. Maybe a strengthening of the community or class as one, or maybe some parent reading about the story will decide that they need to be more involved in their child's life and actually spend some time talking to them.

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    Wow just wow it never needs to get that bad that child had some problems and no one was there for him just shows us parents never take for granted everything is great TALK to your children I can't Imagine As a parent having to bury one of my children for this reason prayers for family sent

Last edited:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    While it is premature at this point to suggest a priest's um, behavior might be responsible, one would have to be quite naive to rule it out as a possibility. What is offensive here is The Vatican's reluctance to address an apparent long standing problem of child abuse within the Catholic Church.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    While it is premature at this point to suggest a priest's um, behavior might be responsible, one would have to be quite naive to rule it out as a possibility. What is offensive here is The Vatican's reluctance to address an apparent long standing problem of child abuse within the Catholic Church.

There is so much fail here, it's ridiculous. We have quite a few negligent discharge deaths in the United States, should you own a firearm? Because they're really not safe. Things can happen, after all and it's offensive we're not paying attention to these statistics.

Catholics are people. And Catholic teenagers are just like Baptist teenagers, and so on. First time there's a self inflicted shooting in a Catholic school and all of a sudden we're quick to heckle the priests. I didn't see anybody insinuate Mommy touched Johnny a little too much as a toddler when it was Columbine.

HOWEVER! Yes, it is deplorable there is evidence rather than address the issue, there have been priests shuffled from parish to parish in avoidance of the issue. But that is still a separate issue from a child sadly feeling as if all doors was closed to him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom