Safari Charlie--anyone know what's in it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyslexiateechur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    So at a gun show this past weekend they were selling this stuff and I asked what was in it. I was told that it was a secret.

:confused:

Does anyone know what they actually put in this stuff?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It contains the following: cayenne pepper, hot mustard powder, ipecac, asafoetida, croton oil, and black powder.

Really though, what are you talking about?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    No. I bought a can from Blades and Barrels this weekend at the Monroe gunshow and pickup a brochure with it.
    The brochure was mostly testimonials with very little info about the product.

I did notice that it was made here in LA.

I'll PM bladesnbarrels and see if they can post some info about it.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Here is a link to the manufactures web site: http://www.superslickstuff.com/lubricant/Safari-Charlie-Gun-Lube.html

They are in Pearl River, LA.

Product Description
    Safari Charlie is a superior gun lube and protectant.
    1. Release agent lifts rust, dirt, grime, grease and even drives out moisture
    2. Lube does not attract dust, dirt, powder residue on guns and Safari Charlie does not sling off moving parts
    3. Non-petroleum greaseless qualities retard gum-up or build-up
    4. Removes gun powder burns.
    5. With Safari Charlie you get superior clean and lube action. Reduces heating and friction for longer durations
    6. Neutralizes finger acid and protects expensive metal gun surfaces
    7. Lube works to 65 F below zero
    8. Many claim separate products are not necessary for cleaning prior to lubrication with Safari Charlie
    9. Contains no Teflon, no Silicone, no wax, no graphite or anything that can scrape off or build up.

gun lube

Safari Charlie's Gun Lube PLUS' unique ingredients provide SUPERIOR gun protection, deep surface cleansing and longer lasting - improved lubrication. Our unique advanced technology cleaner-lube has proven SUPERIOR during the most demanding gun operations, especially when the lube is used in extreme weather and environmental conditions.

Sporting guns and Military/Police weapons function smoothly and with more reliably when cleaned and lubricated with Safari Charlie’s Gun Lube. Our negatively-charged synthetic product repels water, dust, dirt, and powder residue and at the same time, provides longer-lasting greaseless gun lubrication. This lube even neutralizes finger print acid and provides higher quality protection for expensive metal surfaces.

Coating metal surfaces with our non-petroleum based Safari Charlie's cleaning gun lubricant lays down a cleaned “molecular cushion” that provides the best of lubrication between closely positioned and ultra-fast moving parts. Safari Charlie Gun Lube either eliminates or greatly reduces collection of debris, undesired high level of friction, increased accumulation of heat and absorption of moisture on your gun's metal surfaces. Conversely, petroleum lubes attract dust, dirt and powder residues that actually hold-in heat and moisture, unlike our Safari Charlie lubricant. Petroleum gumming along with other foreign material build-up increases friction - heating that causes excessive drag and unwanted wear on moving gun parts. This increased friction - heating causes faulty operations (jamming) and also reduces operational life (break-downs).

For a "to go" alternative, check out our Safari Charlie Gun Lube 2oz compact solution.
    Can't get enough of Charlie's awesome safari formula? Then you need Safari Charlie Gun Lube Gallon

bladesnbarrels

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    Louisiana
    OK, I'll try to help.. We are a distributor of Safari Charlie.. We picked up a few cans to try out in our shop and liked it so much that we contacted Mark and Karen and started carrying the product.. As for the ingredients, well it is a secret.. They purchased the formula and they are keeping it to themselves. They are some really nice and knowledgeable folks, so if you contact them by the 800 number on the can they can give you tons of information about the procuct.. All I know is that it works and works really well..

dyslexiateechur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Thanks for replying bladesnbarrels. I assume that the guy I talked to last weekend was one of the owners.

I have a Chemistry background so that's always my first question when someone tells me about a new product.

dyslexiateechur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Run an analysis. ;)

LOL I'm seriously considering doing this one day when I get bored--I'm betting GCMS and FTIR at least can tell me a thing or two. I'm betting there's nothing in there that's not cataloged. I hate being told I'm not allowed to know something. ;-)

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    I've been using this for over a year now. I really like it. I've also tried it on some of my tools as a rust preventative and I'm pretty impressed. My wife hates the smell of most gun cleaning solvents but this smells more like a household cleaner. So now I get to clean my guns in peace instead of hearing the BS about how she can smell "that" all the way in the bedroom.

dyslexiateechur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Seriously though. This stuff might be good gun lube. Asbestos is pretty good at fire protection.

Exactly. There are a ton of chemicals that I wouldn't mess with.

Oh well, I ended up buying from the other guy selling oil anyway--he actually answered when I asked what was in it. :biglaugh:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I'm just about out of my can of SC, where can i get some between lafayette and new orleans? Please PM me if yall have any info!!

thanks

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom