Safe Locations for Private Sales of Firearms?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Over the years, here in Louisiana and previously in Mississippi, I’ve bought and sold firearms primarily with contacts from on here or the Mississippi equivalent, MSGO. Have never had a problem and have met some good folks. However, things are iffier these days and more scam artists or worst lurking on these sites. What options are there for safe exchanges? It’s illegal to bring firearms into a police station. I thought about local gun stores, but I can understand they don’t want to support private sales that take away from their retail business. Any thoughts out there?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I mainly buy and sell through Bayou Shooter so I just pick any mutually agreed on public place . Never met anyone here that seemed shady to me .

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    agree with swampydog, i see more and more folks posting their phone numbers in their sale adds. that opens you up to any random person on google being able to contact you. if you deal directly through pm here then they have to be a registered member so you at least have the option to review their feedback and or posts to get some feel for what you are dealing with. i've had in excess of 50 transactions on here both buying and selling anything from reloading components up to a few firearms and have had nothing but positive interactions. however i do recall a couple instances over the years where i didn't get the warm and fuzzy and opted not to deal with an individual.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Parking lots at popular places are good, Walmart, Home Depot, Academy, Lowes, Target, Costco etc. I do get stressed every time someone does a function check or similar outside of the vehicles (always meet outside of vehicles with persons on their feet), but so far there has been no incident of pubic outcry to police calling (to my knowledge).

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Baton Rouge police station has an area , set aside and monitered with security cameras for legal transactions .
    I saw a news report a couple years ago but don't remember details of program .
    Gary

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

jpso211

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 21, 2018
    Hammond, LA. area
    Over the years, here in Louisiana and previously in Mississippi, I’ve bought and sold firearms primarily with contacts from on here or the Mississippi equivalent, MSGO. Have never had a problem and have met some good folks. However, things are iffier these days and more scam artists or worst lurking on these sites. What options are there for safe exchanges? It’s illegal to bring firearms into a police station. I thought about local gun stores, but I can understand they don’t want to support private sales that take away from their retail business. Any thoughts out there?
    Hope you don't mind some advice from an old Deputy Sheriff Guys and Gals!
    Here's my opinion from first hand professional experience of Does & Don'ts...
    *THE GOLDEN RULE: *
    ALWAYS! TRUST UR INSTINCS!
    *** The safest place to meet is a HIGH TRAFFIC area...***

* Make sure to check the persons Status on here and read their feedback...
    * PM from here till ur comfortable with them...
    * Talk to then on the phone B4 u meet. I never post my number. Someone only has my number after we back and forth PM and then I'll give it out to talk personally if I feel good about that person and have checked them out...
    Criminals are smart. They just to lazy to be honest. If u list ur number they can find ur home and come rob and or worst to u and ur family!
    IF they won't talk to u personally DO NOT MEET!... Better to lose a deal than ur life!
    * When meeting ALWAYS conceal carry!
    * Be observant. Check ur surroundings...
    "Plenty people, lots of light and cameras if dark.
    Myself, I'd only meet someone I personally know after dark. Night time is extremely dangerous!"
    * Get off ur but and meet on your feet outside any vehicle... I suggest u feel them out and judge their character B4 u flash any cash & never hand over cash until u have ur purchase in ur hands...
    *** That's my does! They have served me well enough to be 76 and here talking to u all, lol!***
    Some of u may not agree with my don'ts but trust me and just think like Law enforcement and be suspicious***
    I here everyone saying. " I meet at, and say name the place u meet. Both the good guys and the bad guys on here know exactly where u like meet... To me that's a easy way for a bad guy to know where the cash is. It makes it easier for them to set u and others up...
    ***Example: People like to meet at Academy on Veterans Hwy or etc...
    Then the bad guys stake out those areas looking for anyone with both cash and guns they can score!***
    Thats why I said allot about where to meet without using a name of where that is exactly!
    *** And no I'm not paranoid. I'm just ALWAYS thinking what's the best way to enjoy my hobby and survive...***
    Well anyway that's my two cents worth. It's keep me safe so far! Just was meant as just a little food for though...
    Hope it helps some of u.
    U don't have to agree with me. I just laid out an outline for u to develop ur own set of rules and ideas of how to stay safe!
    Afterall it's ur a@@ on the line. U need to decide what works best for u, yourself!
    God Bless & Stay Safe!

Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    All excellent advice and I think the JPSO/Academy/Lowe’s options are all solid. Thanks all!

Top Bottom