safe to be out on lake porchartrain tonight?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    My budy just got a 16x4 alluminum flatboat with a 25hp 2 stroke and center console. Hes hell bent on going fishing on the lake tonight by madisonville. Im not an experienced boater and neither is he. Given the weather, chance of thunderstorms, im thinking this could be dangerous. What do u experienced boaters say? Is it a good night to be out there screwing around or should i talk him into waiting for better weather? I wanna go but i just dont know enough to evaluate the risks, and i sure as hell dont wanna die.

Any words of wisdon would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    There is NO substitute for experience and I suggest if you need to ask, then he needs more..

I would not do it, and I have been boating almost every other weekend for years, Lake P is dangerous..

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    Damn guys.... really?! So help me understand about what can go wrong. He says the lake is calm and were only going out to the power lines somewhere by madisonville. His father in law is a boater and said if we eint going far we should be alright. Hearing this fired my buddy up even more of course.

Last edited:

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I can kick up have a 16x7.5 i've taken in thr lake for years. Let me warn you, the lake can kick up really fast. I've been out a few miles from shore (during the day) and had storms come up that beat the hell out of me. Long story short...wait until nice weather during the day.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    If he's hell bent on going, let him go. Alone.

I've been boating and fishing a long time, and one of the most horrifying times I ever had on the water was on Pontchartrain at night in a boat way bigger than the one you're talking about.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    ya man thats no bueno. all kinds of crap out there to worry about. i dont like going out in any boat at night (on purpose). theres all kinds of pilings, markers and crab traps to mess up your day. plus the way the weathers been today. i'd have to pass especially with an inexperienced captain at the helm

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Put your cellphone in a zip lock bag and be sure to tell everybody where you are going so they'll know where to start looking

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    Can u swim? you can't see the weather till it is on you, trust me i have three boats and are always in them. Night, lake, rookies=bad. Wait for some clear daytime and enjoy it, just my tow pennies...

aherring1983

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Be very careful, the lake can sink a boat in a matter of minutes, waves have kicked up on me before and I've hardly made it back in with a boat 1/2 full of water, wear your life jacket, keep a flashlight in your pocket, your cellphone double bagged tied to your lifejacket, and let a few people know where your headed out to.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Do not try it. The lake can change in minutes on nights like this. I've been in a 28' offshore boat in this weather and it got bad quick.

If you go leave a plan on where you will be so they will know where to start looking for you tomorrow.

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    I cant thank u all enough for all the input. We came to a happy compromise. We'll put it in the water,but its 100 ft to shore, no further. This phucker is worried about fishing regulations, im more worried about surviving. Anyway. Ill report back tomorrow. Hopefully y'all dont get to read about us in the paper in the morning. Im a good swimmer, just hope not to have to use it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom