Saints and rough play

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Let me say I'm not a big football fan but I have watched the Saints over the last few years and have enjoyed their play. I don't remember at any time that broadcasters or referees were hinting at the Saints making illegal hits or playing any harder than anyone else.

But as I watched the Saints in the playoffs against Seattle the ESPN announcers were commenting on how hard hitting and physical the Seahawks were especially on defense. They were pounding on Brees it seemed at will.

My question is this: During that game the Saints made I believe their first drive and were pushing to make a touchdown. Brees passed the ball to one of the receivers and he was speared in the head by the defensive player with a helmet to the head shot causing the Saints player to be taken off the field on a stretcher with a resulting broken jaw. A referee was standing right there and no flag was thrown with the on field ruling that the Saints receiver fumbled Seattle recovering driving for a touchdown. The ESPN guys seemed to enjoy that physical contact. So the question is why wasn't or hasn't this been brought out in the media?

Other teams are hard hitting and extremely physical but the Saints get slammed for paying their palyers to do their job better. I really don't get it! If any play by the Saints was considered a late hit they were penalized. But I don't remember seeing any really hard brutal hitting by the Saints any different then the others.

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Let me say I'm not a big football fan but I have watched the Saints over the last few years and have enjoyed their play. I don't remember at any time that broadcasters or referees were hinting at the Saints making illegal hits or playing any harder than anyone else.

But as I watched the Saints in the playoffs against Seattle the ESPN announcers were commenting on how hard hitting and physical the Seahawks were especially on defense. They were pounding on Brees it seemed at will.

My question is this: During that game the Saints made I believe their first drive and were pushing to make a touchdown. Brees passed the ball to one of the receivers and he was speared in the head by the defensive player with a helmet to the head shot causing the Saints player to be taken off the field on a stretcher with a resulting broken jaw. A referee was standing right there and no flag was thrown with the on field ruling that the Saints receiver fumbled Seattle recovering driving for a touchdown. The ESPN guys seemed to enjoy that physical contact. So the question is why wasn't or hasn't this been brought out in the media?

Other teams are hard hitting and extremely physical but the Saints get slammed for paying their palyers to do their job better. I really don't get it! If any play by the Saints was considered a late hit they were penalized. But I don't remember seeing any really hard brutal hitting by the Saints any different then the others.

Similar situation this past season in the Saints playoff game against the 9ers. Pierre Thomas, I believe it was, got knocked unconscious by an illegal helmet to helmet, causing him to fumble and the ball was recovered by the 9ers. No flag. Yet, a Saints player was flagged either right before or right after that hit for personal foul helmet to helmet. Bias is a B.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's because there is a bazillion dollar class action lawsuit coming in the near future against the NFL by a crap load of former players that are going to assert the NFL knew about the concussions and the long term effects of the brutal hits in the field, and the Saints are the examples being made by the NFL that it is not going to be tolerated.

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    Similar situation this past season in the Saints playoff game against the 9ers. Pierre Thomas, I believe it was, got knocked unconscious by an illegal helmet to helmet, causing him to fumble and the ball was recovered by the 9ers. No flag. Yet, a Saints player was flagged either right before or right after that hit for personal foul helmet to helmet. Bias is a B.

It was Thomas and it happened inside the 9ers 5 yard line. Changed the entire momentum of the game. There were several plays were 9ers defensive guys were trying to rip Brees' head off, with no flags thrown.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    It was Thomas and it happened inside the 9ers 5 yard line. Changed the entire momentum of the game. There were several plays were 9ers defensive guys were trying to rip Brees' head off, with no flags thrown.

I didn't realize it was THAT close to the end zone. I knew they were in the red, and I was PIIIIIIIIIIISSED when they didn't throw a flag. But, I had to leave a few minutes after that, but I knew that was the missed call that was going to end up screwing us out of another SB shot. Giants wouldn't have stood a chance against the Saints this year.

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    It's because there is a bazillion dollar class action lawsuit coming in the near future against the NFL by a crap load of former players that are going to assert the NFL knew about the concussions and the long term effects of the brutal hits in the field, and the Saints are the examples being made by the NFL that it is not going to be tolerated.

The NFL has said as much, the Saints are an example to the rest of the League. Get caught doing this crap and you will get burned, bad.

They got caught, they need to take the punishment like a man and play on. Nothing is worse than a bunch of grown ass men, who get caught red-handed doing something illegal, than whining about how they didn't deserve the punishment. They got caught, so bottom line is they need to man up, take the punishment and hope they can recover eventually. Sure other teams probably did the same thing, sure there are dirty players/teams out there. This was there warning, ill bet if the NFL catches another bounty system that we will see the team loss there titles and forfeit games. The Saints just need to man up, rally around how everyone is completely writing them off for the season and play football. No excuses, just play honest football from here on out. But anyways, just my $.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom