Sales Tax on a Vehicle I Already Own?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Insurance down here is high because of the uninsured and the rest of the population thinks drunk driving is a ''Sport''

You got that right. There was a statistic I read a few years ago in southern Louisiana, 1 out of every 7 vehicles on the road at any given time does not have current liability insurance.
    People continue to drive down here with 2 plus DWIs too. DWI enforcement and prosecution is a joke in southern Louisiana. I don't know how it is in the northern portion of our state, but down here its pretty much a joke.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Donate it to the wife!
    Should be no sales tax for new "owner".

It's a use tax based on the value of the vehicle brought into Louisiana, and you will get a credit of 3%, up to $1000, for the sales tax you paid in NC. The use tax you have to pay to register it here is the 4% state tax, not the Parish tax, so it's not the full 9% or 10% depending on where you're living. That 3% credit will cover a value up to $33,333. Link:

http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...efca2d66886a0ae6862564bb0069108e?OpenDocument

If the value is over $33,333, then donation will work to avoid the sales/use tax.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a use tax based on the value of the vehicle brought into Louisiana, and you will get a credit of 3%, up to $1000, for the sales tax you paid in NC. The use tax you have to pay to register it here is the 4% state tax, not the Parish tax, so it's not the full 9% or 10% depending on where you're living. That 3% credit will cover a value up to $33,333. Link:

http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...efca2d66886a0ae6862564bb0069108e?OpenDocument

If the value is over $33,333, then donation will work to avoid the sales/use tax.

Thanks for the info. My pickup truck dates back to 2006 and would be worth over $30,000 only in my resale dreams. I'm waiting at the OMV now to find out what the damage will be ... fingers crossed that it's low.

Mike

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    honestlou got it right.

You pay a tax to USE property in the state even if it is not purchased here. Anyone that has gone through a Sales tax audit should be familiar with this.

Most states do the exact same thing, with a caveat... LA has a fairly new law (thanks JBE!) that only allows the credit (for what you've already paid) from states with reciprocity on a rate to rate basis (not dollars, due to value changes). i.e. they must allow for the same credit on the other end.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom