Salvaging...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Also I would like to point out that I there is a difference between scrapping and picking. Pickers are the people who pick through your stuff to find something to sale to some unsuspecting sucker.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    If because I'm not a giant ***** like you and the OP then yea I guess that makes me a manly alpha male.

Are your feelings hurt too by men trying to earn money any way they can legally?

Whatever, I never once stated that scrapping is a bad thing. But, being in the trenches and watching the women going through things and crying having to throw stuff out. If that doesn't get to you, then you are way too hung up on yourself on needing to be a "man" in every instance of your life. Sounds like you have compensation issues.

Also, I'm talking about items that people weren't done using. These aren't used up appliances that went bad, it's people's possessions and lives. If you fail to see the need for respect in times of devastation, then we'll never see eye to eye on this.

So it would be OK if the scrapper waited until the homeowner was gone?

If they're just going to roll up and jump out the truck grab the "loot" and roll out without asking permission if the homeowner is present, then yes. They're being pretty ballsy anyway not asking. Been seeing a lot of "loot we shoot" signs and those people packing heat. Seems like they don't want people taking their belongings off the curb.

All of this debris lining the roadways would make great filler for a barrier on the southern border...

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    The funny part is some of the folks that are upset about people taking garbage is the same ones that will stand up to the Feds if a gun ban ever comes lol. I would think going to war with the Feds is gonna take thicker skin!!

You really enjoy busting my balls huh? Don't mistake PO'd for butt hurt... There's a huge difference.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Whatever, I never once stated that scrapping is a bad thing. But, being in the trenches and watching the women going through things and crying having to throw stuff out. If that doesn't get to you, then you are way too hung up on yourself on needing to be a "man" in every instance of your life. Sounds like you have compensation issues.

Also, I'm talking about items that people weren't done using. These aren't used up appliances that went bad, it's people's possessions and lives. If you fail to see the need for respect in times of devastation, then we'll never see eye to eye on this.

If they're just going to roll up and jump out the truck grab the "loot" and roll out without asking permission if the homeowner is present, then yes. They're being pretty ballsy anyway not asking. Been seeing a lot of "loot we shoot" signs and those people packing heat. Seems like they don't want people taking their belongings off the curb.

All of this debris lining the roadways would make great filler for a barrier on the southern border...

People can't understand what that **** feels like till they have to haul their **** to the curb knowing wasn't a damn thing you could do to save it. Emotions by deffinition have no direct link to rational thought. You cant expect someone who has been through this sort of desaster to be of rational mind on everything. People's worlds have been turned upside down and their homes ruined. Dealing with that aint easy.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    People can't understand what that **** feels like till they have to haul their **** to the curb knowing wasn't a damn thing you could do to save it. Emotions by deffinition have no direct link to rational thought. You cant expect someone who has been through this sort of desaster to be of rational mind on everything. People's worlds have been turned upside down and their homes ruined. Dealing with that aint easy.

I went through Katrina and lost everything. If someone came by and took the trash we put on the curb, we were thankful that it was one less thing we had to clean up. Dealing with it ISN'T easy, but not everyone views it the same way. We never got upset if someone took anything we put out, because we put it out there for a reason.

I've never had an emotional connection with a dishwasher or refrigerator, so I can't relate to how some of y'all feel :rofl:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I went through Katrina and lost everything. If someone came by and took the trash we put on the curb, we were thankful that it was one less thing we had to clean up. Dealing with it ISN'T easy, but not everyone views it the same way. We never got upset if someone took anything we put out, because we put it out there for a reason.

I've never had an emotional connection with a dishwasher or refrigerator, so I can't relate to how some of y'all feel :rofl:

My dishwasher not so much but my fridge... oh my dear sweet fridge.:wtc:

It severed my beer at the perfect temp. Again for me its the people pick through the personal items and furniture who will turn around and make a quick buck on craigslist. Often those are the same people who will steal stuff out your yard and even your house if they are allowed to continue unchecked.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My dishwasher not so much but my fridge... oh my dear sweet fridge.:wtc:

It severed my beer at the perfect temp. Again for me its the people pick through the personal items and furniture who will turn around and make a quick buck on craigslist. Often those are the same people who will steal stuff out your yard and even your house if they are allowed to continue unchecked.

No one is stealing flooded "personal items."

If they are personal, why are you throwing them on the street?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If we're "upset" about garbage... Then imagine how we'll feel when it comes to our firearm collections.

I think you're just trying to make yourself feel better for already admitting you'll bend over and take it from the man when they come to get yours.

LOL you really don't know me well enough to understand so I won't hold it against ya.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Putting my stuff to the curb knowing I couldn't do anything about it makes it all better for me. Now if I was cooking fell asleep and burnt the house down that would hurt.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Putting my stuff to the curb knowing I couldn't do anything about it makes it all better for me. Now if I was cooking fell asleep and burnt the house down that would hurt.

I think the flood is worse because you actually have to physically move all your possessions to the curb and sit there and look at all of it. This logic doesn't compute.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    No one is stealing flooded "personal items."

If they are personal, why are you throwing them on the street?

I'm of this mindset: I work hard for everything I have. I bought all of my stuff on my own. I don't always get the one I want, sometimes I have to settle for cheaper stuff than I would like. But, it's all mine through years of hard work. I do have a personal attachment to my "items", even if they will be replaced, it'll be hard to watch it all go. I'm not a hoarder or anything, but I am a possessive person, and would very much appreciate being asked permission to rummage through my stuff.

Does that make me any less of a man? Obviously some of you think so. Grow up, and be realistic. People have feelings.

That's the way I was raised. Work hard for what you have, be proud of it, and take care of it.

So if you think less of me for that... I really don't care.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm of this mindset: I work hard for everything I have. I bought all of my stuff on my own. I don't always get the one I want, sometimes I have to settle for cheaper stuff than I would like. But, it's all mine through years of hard work. I do have a personal attachment to my "items", even if they will be replaced, it'll be hard to watch it all go. I'm not a hoarder or anything, but I am a possessive person, and would very much appreciate being asked permission to rummage through my stuff.

Does that make me any less of a man? Obviously some of you think so. Grow up, and be realistic. People have feelings.

That's the way I was raised. Work hard for what you have, be proud of it, and take care of it.

When you have everything taken away, like I did after Katrina, you learn not to get attached to material things.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I think the flood is worse because you actually have to physically move all your possessions to the curb and sit there and look at all of it. This logic doesn't compute.

I don't sit there and look at it I move on to something else. As long as I have my family I'm good to go.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I agree with Jeeper.
    Have some couth and respect about things. People are working their ass off hauling their personal things to the street. Things that were not garbage last week but are now because of a misfortune.

The idea of loosing what you have is hard enough. To watch some stranger picking through it as your trying to deal with all this is to much to handle sometimes.

I gave away a lot of things that could be used to people who were helping me. The rest I didn't put on the street. I piled mine up down my driveway for that reason. That pile is not just insulation and sheetrock. There are a lot of memories in that pile too. I don't need some stranger making me feel worse than I already do about loosing everything I worked for. I'll have to work harder to move it out when the time comes.

I also have a refrigerator door with a message painted on it at the street.

Your not welcome to come on my property and you have been warned.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

How do you feel when the trash man comes with that big claw truck loads it up and packs it down to fit more stuff on top? Damm how could you "not" want someone to try to make use of it?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    How do you feel when the trash man comes with that big claw truck loads it up and packs it down to fit more stuff on top? Damm how could you "not" want someone to try to make use of it?

See, right now I'm having to argue my original (emotional) point... When on the first and second page I already said I was over it and agreed scrapping is a good thing. I would rather see stuff repurposed and reused, or even broken down to take to the scrap yard. The last thing I put on the road was a fridge that crapped out on me. I was too lazy to fix it, and needed a working fridge then and there, so bought a new one. I had no problem seeing it get picked up. I hope whoever took it was able to fix it.

Now, (with that said) that was not in a time of great tragedy. People affected by this flood are going to be emotionally devastated and have a hard time with this. I thought it would be best to just give it a few days to let the wound start to heal instead of starting up on the first day. It's not like all the good stuff will be gone in the first few hours. I mean 90+% of the houses in Central and Denham flooded. There's plenty for everyone... JUST TRY AND BE EMPATHETICAL TO THESE PEOPLES SITUATION. That was my whole point, and I still agree with that.

If you are a scrapper/salvager/picker, I have no qualms with you whatsoever. If you can fix appliances or whatever that people put on the road and give it a new life, then I respect that. Please don't get the wrong idea, it was just a tough thing for me to watch. And pay attention because I didn't call anyone any names.

So no, I don't want to see it go in the trash if it doesn't have to.

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I agree with Jeeper.
    Have some couth and respect about things. People are working their ass off hauling their personal things to the street. Things that were not garbage last week but are now because of a misfortune.

ALLE-FRIGGIN-LUIA! Thank you... Some people are fine with the situation, it takes others a little longer to get over it.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    ALLE-FRIGGIN-LUIA! Thank you... Some people are fine with the situation, it takes others a little longer to get over it.

I feel your pain brother. I was fishing in 2' of water in my kitchen too.

It aint fun and if you haven't lived it you shouldn't judge other people and how they feel.

Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one.

Top Bottom