Savage 99

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stateguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Old gun that intrigues me. See some of them for reasonable prices on gunsamerica and gunbroker. Anyone have experience with one? Other thoughts about them?

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    They were built for 90+ years. My father has one in .300 Savage he bought new in mid-70's, very smooth balanced rifle. I have seen some with really outstanding quality furniture from the factory...tiger maple etc. Classic American rifle.

philup

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    denhamsprings
    I actual have a 303 savage made in 1919-1920 according to the serial number .. its not in the best shape so not worth much money wise but worth a lot to me since it was my great great grandfather's .. I'd love to shoot it but not going to take a chance on it ..

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    My brother has my Dad's .30-30 Savage 99. .30-30 was a special order when the rifle was manufactured- we looked it up on the Savage collector's website according to serial number and downloaded the PDF of the original sales flyer showing the choice for calibers. It has a lyman flip-up for the rear sight with 2 flip-up ring sights at the muzzle and halfway down the barrel. Flip them down and there's an ivory bead. Flip them up and it's a ring with a dot on a post. Brother wants to use it to get a deer this year then I get it back for a while.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Nice smooth actions. had a 99C series A in .308win with two detachable mags, but somebody wanted it more than me. I hope they enjoy it.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I picked up a 99F carbine in .308 a year or two ago. It is probably as strong a lever action as you could ask for, and the rotary magazine was far ahead of its time, allowing ammo that would be unsafe in a tubular magazine. Beautifully made and engineered. Another example of a firearm that would be ridiculously expensive to make today.

Even with its shorter barrel, mine will drive 150 gr Sierra round nose bullets to 2565 FPS from 44.5 grs of Varget with excellent accuracy for a hunting firearm at the ranges for which it was designed.

They were a classic deep woods deer rifle up in the Adirondack Mountains where I grew up.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    Mine uncle has used a model 99 in .243 as long as I can remember. I owned a 308 for about 6 years or so. Both are super accurate and very dependable, however I grew to where I didn't care for the action. They're stiff at beginning and just before close when it locks in.

Top Bottom