Savage Axis or Model 10?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    If I were to build up a bolt gun and replace the trigger (rifle basix) and stock (Boyd's super light laminate) before even firing a round, why pay the extra money for a model 10? I see that an Axis can be had for $199 (after rebate). The supply of Stevens actions (for cheap) seems to have dried up. Purpose would be a light weight hunting rifle.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Bump my mind has been wandering.

What I have read the axis action is fairly accurate, but the guns have a lousy stock and a rough trigger. Sounds like a few minutes can have the trigger clean (or buy a trigger or just learn to deal with it) and for another hundred or so you could have a good stock.

So for about $300 you could have a solid shooter minus the doodads. Cheaper than many complete uppers for my ar.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Buy the 10, though the Axis is actually very well built they don't leave a lot to be desired as far as how they are bedded in a stock and some other minor stuff.

Ok so between say the axis-sr and the 10pt-sr (there is about 200-250 differnece in price but both have a threaded barrel and are relitively low cost), excluding the action it looks like am getting the accutrigger, better stock, and a heavier barrel profile. Now those nicer features are probably worth the increase in price, but my goal for this gun/build would be mid to long range shooting. I would hate to spend extra on those key components just find there way to the trash heep.

I hunted for a long time and been shooting since before I could ride a bike, and I like to think I do alright sub 200yards, but this would be a step into a new world for me.

Honestly what interests me about the axis is how cheap I could get into it, and as my skill set increases to the point where the equipment is holding me back I can upgrade that.

Now if the 10 is gtg for a long long time then maybe that should be my choice.

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Ok so between say the axis-sr and the 10pt-sr (there is about 200-250 differnece in price but both have a threaded barrel and are relitively low cost), excluding the action it looks like am getting the accutrigger, better stock, and a heavier barrel profile. Now those nicer features are probably worth the increase in price, but my goal for this gun/build would be mid to long range shooting. I would hate to spend extra on those key components just find there way to the trash heep.

I hunted for a long time and been shooting since before I could ride a bike, and I like to think I do alright sub 200yards, but this would be a step into a new world for me.

Honestly what interests me about the axis is how cheap I could get into it, and as my skill set increases to the point where the equipment is holding me back I can upgrade that.

Now if the 10 is gtg for a long long time then maybe that should be my choice.

The "universal length" axis action makes mounting some scopes a PITA FYI. The Axis II I think comes with the accutrigger (and is more expensive), but aside from that the axis trigger absolutely pales in comparison to the accutrigger.

Do yourself a favor and buy my 6.5 creedmoor savage model 11 that's in the classifieds if you want to shoot long range. Comes with accustock, nikon 3-9x40 scope and the incredible accutrigger (which I have turned ALL the way down). I guarantee 1/2 MOA or better and there's a target to prove that it's more like 3/8 MOA (or better!).

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The "universal length" axis action makes mounting some scopes a PITA FYI. The Axis II I think comes with the accutrigger (and is more expensive), but aside from that the axis trigger absolutely pales in comparison to the accutrigger.

Do yourself a favor and buy my 6.5 creedmoor savage model 11 that's in the classifieds if you want to shoot long range. Comes with accustock, nikon 3-9x40 scope and the incredible accutrigger (which I have turned ALL the way down). I guarantee 1/2 MOA or better and there's a target to prove that it's more like 3/8 MOA (or better!).

Seems like a pretty sweet gun.

The universal action does seem to be an issue for people but I would probably just run a rail across the top.

I dont know time will tell. The Axis is cheap enough if I buy one I won't here "another gun, what do you need that one for" followed by "because I wanted it nuff said" followed by a retaliatory (new word??) purse and shoe buying spree. :rofl:

But really at $300 for the threaded barrel axis would be pretty pain free to start. I got couple scopes laying around so. I really could do a little at a time. Shooting is supposed to be my cheap hobby. :mamoru:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    No the axis line do shoot pretty well. I got my son a .243 youth. Worked great. Wasn't as accurate as the model 11 or 10's i have but definitely was good enough to hunt and shoot 400 yds I'd guess. I'd honestly look for an axis ii with accutrigger if you're going to do it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ronghanded93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2016
    Addis
    I have the 10 FLCPSR IN 308. Shoots great and is sub MOA right out of the box. Accurate to 500 so far. Barrel is 24 and might be a bit long but I am used to my Ruger which is lighter. No complaints based on the price less than 600 delivered.

TooOld

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Laplace
    Why don't you skim over the "Savage Forum?" There are sections for both the Axis and Model 10's, 11's, etc. There is a lot of information on builds, improvements and results for all Savage models. I think it may help you make up your mind. I have an Axis in 223, did trigger work (reworked and change the spring on original) and added a Boyds stock, excellent shooter 3/4" moa at 100 yds with the right reloads. Also have a Model 10, just added a scope and it's a 1/2" -3/4" shooter. BTW, if you like doing things yourself, the Axis is pretty easy.

Top Bottom