Sawed off shotgun legalities...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    So I found my old H&A .410 crack barrel shotgun in the attic while cleaning last night. It was put up years ago because it didn't work, and I was clueless about firearms back then. After taking it apart, I realized the striker assembly had broken off and I ordered a new one for a whopping $12.

Then I realized I have no real use for this thing, and it's not even that fun to shoot. I figured I could at least saw it off a bit and make it a fun little shooter and possible "last chance" home defense gun.

I want it to be completely legal. As far as I understand it, as long as the barrel is 18" and the overall length is 26" I'm good right? I plan on cutting the stock down to a pistol grip, which will give me about a 19" barrel for the 26" overall. Or I may cut the barrel as short as legally possible, and then just have some extra stock left to give me the overall length needed.

Does this sound right? If not, please someone stop me! :D

Slow

I Support Human Culling
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    i would leave an extra half an inch just so there are no questions. in the event that the gun is used for something or discovered then the ATF will have a field day. for some reason i remember reading somewhere that "overall length" was a somewhat vague definition. however i could be wrong...

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    The minimum overall length of the rifle/shotgun has to be > 26", and the minimum barrel length must be > 18" (for shotguns). Barrel length is determined by measuring from the face of the closed bolt/breach to the crown (by sticking a rod down the barrel). If it had a stock on it from the factory, you can't convert it to just a pistol grip, even if you keep the OAL over 26" because you would be making a AOW.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    The minimum overall length of the rifle/shotgun has to be > 26", and the minimum barrel length must be > 18" (for shotguns). Barrel length is determined by measuring from the face of the closed bolt/breach to the crown (by sticking a rod down the barrel). If it had a stock on it from the factory, you can't convert it to just a pistol grip, even if you keep the OAL over 26" because you would be making a AOW.

But wouldn't that mean that legally I can't put a Knoxx breachers grip or an ATI folding stock on my 18" barrel 870? :eh:

EDIT: never mind i'm a dumbass:doh:

MPI

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008

Not true. You could add a pistol grip if you have an 18" barrel and you keep it over 26" OAL. The AOW law refers to guns that never had a stock and also have a barrel shorter than 18". A short barrel shotgun refers to a gun that has had a stock and a barrel shorter than 18". It is perfectly legal to take a Rem 870 and put the Knoxx Breacher grip or other pistol grip on it as long as both 18" and 26" are met.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    AOW = Any other weapon. It is a class 3 weapon that requires a $5 tax stamp + completion of ATF paperwork.
    Actually it is $5 to transfer it, but it still cost $200 to manufacture an AOW.

ETA: I just realized that Nomad beat me to it. That is what i get for being stuck on page 1 and responding without reading the entire thread.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Not true. You could add a pistol grip if you have an 18" barrel and you keep it over 26" OAL. The AOW law refers to guns that never had a stock and also have a barrel shorter than 18". A short barrel shotgun refers to a gun that has had a stock and a barrel shorter than 18". It is perfectly legal to take a Rem 870 and put the Knoxx Breacher grip or other pistol grip on it as long as both 18" and 26" are met.
    So I got bored and decided to re-read this thread. I'm getting conflicting info here...

You're saying that if I take my regular ol' .410 that currently has a fixed stock and ~24" barrel, I can indeed cut the barrel and stock as long as I meet the minimum barrel and overall lengths? No paperwork, no stamps, no BS?

Here's roughly what I had planned:
    sawedoff.jpg

Can someone give a definitive answer on this? I'm not trying to do anything illegal, but it's also not worth it to me if I have to do paperwork, etc.

Top Bottom