SBR...caliber choice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Dave...I was thinking 7-10" 9mm or 300blk and probably 10-12" for the 223/5.56 bc I think that's the limit on my suppressor for this round

My preference:
    Build SBR lower and start with 10.5in 5.56 upper.
    Then when ready, get 9" 300BLk upper and have the best of both worlds.

I'm getting approx 2350fps out of a 16" 300blk barrel shooting 110g Barnes Black Tips.
    The 9" 300blk barrel is getting approx 2150fps with same 110g projectile (H110 powder).

Go with a 7.62 can and use on both uppers.

30a03398cd3a2c40ad64be5e774521d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    What's y'all preferred maker for 10.5" 5.56 barrels? Adj gas block preferred?

Bcm, fnh, noveske, dan defense all make good barrels. The adjustable gas block is a good idea if youre going with a can for obvious reasons. No one likes all that gas back in their face. If not possibly consider a piston upper.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What's y'all preferred maker for 10.5" 5.56 barrels? Adj gas block preferred?

I wouldn't say it's preferred but for the price it's a good buy with a seekins gas block and rail, together that's already 250 bucks!
    https://dsgarms.com/dsghu1001

I have the complete upper in 556 that I never shot, and in 300 blk that's more accurate than my 9 inch AAC upper. No complaints, bought these as "budget" builds that I'll probably trade off or give to a relative.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Bcm, fnh, noveske, dan defense all make good barrels. The adjustable gas block is a good idea if youre going with a can for obvious reasons. No one likes all that gas back in their face. If not possibly consider a piston upper.

Depends on what you are going for. Bcm and fnh make good barrels. Some say the 10.3 inch dd barrel is over gassed. And noveske is a great barrel (most accurate rifle I own). Rainer's ultra match is great too, Wilson, white oak etc make match barrels.

I think it boils down to what your purpose of this build is. If you wanna shoot 1 ragged hole, or be able to consistently hit a plate at "x" amount of yards depends on the amount of money you want to sink into your barrel. On a rifle three major things to spend money on is the barrel, the trigger, and sights

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I really want to build an 8.5" .300 blackout to suppress.

With a 10.3" 5.56, even suppressed, it is still fairly loud. Without a suppressor, it is VERY loud.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    If you dont mind not having a name brand barrel, I've found that the Odin Works barrels are really nice for the money and pretty darn accurate. They are also half the cost of noveske stuff.

I agree with an adjustable gas block. If you are going to suppress the gun, I'd also consider an AR gas vent in place of a forward assist.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Never heard of the gas vent. Any links?

I'm not so much into "name brand", but I don't mind paying up a little for quality where it counts. When referring to the barrel maker, I just wouldn't want to buy a 10.5-11.5" barrel and have issues with function due to incorrect gas length or diameter of gas hole, etc.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    .300 blackout (or the not-yet-suggested 7.62x39).

But then again I would dodge the tax stamp and just build a pistol.

If 9mm look no further than Keltec Sub2k - truly one of the smallest, best, most accurate firearms made...and the gen 2 has a threaded barrel. I know it's not an SBR but it brings all the elements of such to a package.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I agree with an adjustable gas block. If you are going to suppress the gun, I'd also consider an AR gas vent in place of a forward assist.

Speaking of that, has anybody local had good luck with the RTV trick in the charging handle? How about that combined with the home brew drilling of the charging handle vent trick?

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Speaking of that, has anybody local had good luck with the RTV trick in the charging handle? How about that combined with the home brew drilling of the charging handle vent trick?

I've found that the gasbuster/RTV trick doesnt make anywhere close to the improvement that the AR gas vent makes.

The vent does put you in a position that you have to tune the gun a little bit, but the difference in gas in your face is huge.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use gasket sealer on the CH and a non-adjustable gas block. Never had an issue.

Aero Precision barrels are a great choice if you are watching your dollars.

Otherwise, I'd look at Daniel Defense for CHF, or the Triarc Track barrels if you want cutting edge sorcery: http://triarcsystems.com/barrels/

Top Bottom