SBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I got a BIG disagreement with registering any firearm I own with the government in any way. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I really want one of these, I pondered the though, of just keeping it locked away in the closet, but that kinda beats the whole point of it.

GLP_1263.jpg

So my question is, whats the best way to go about getting all the paper work to LEGALY own one of these. I have a private business right now, but its not LLC. Would I be better off getting the CLEO (I think thats the right terminology) sign off on it, or going through the business? What are the different steps?

IF I decide to do this, is my tax stamp good for one serial number, or can I build multiple SBRs? If I get the lower engraved, how many uppers can I own.

Will the tax stamp for the SBR help/hurt/change trying to get a supressor down the road if I decide to go that route?

If I go through the business (or will I have to create a trust other than my business?) is there any way to seperate the business from me?

If I do this, and want to let someone borrow my SBR, (suppressed possibly, maybe one day auto (if I win the lottery)) is that legal?

Thanks for the help.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We are not trying to be dicks. Its just every one of your questions has been answered at least once in the last month. When I get back to a real computer I will be happy to help.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I knew some had been answered, I thought a few were new. Search HATES me. It never works. Results of SBR search netted me nothing. It showed 4 pages or something of results. I was able to see what was on the first page, It wouldnt allow me to go to any other pages.

JumpmanUSC

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 23, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I got a BIG disagreement with registering any firearm I own with the government in any way. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I really want one of these, I pondered the though, of just keeping it locked away in the closet, but that kinda beats the whole point of it.
    So my question is, whats the best way to go about getting all the paper work to LEGALY own one of these. I have a private business right now, but its not LLC. Would I be better off getting the CLEO (I think thats the right terminology) sign off on it, or going through the business? What are the different steps?
    IF I decide to do this, is my tax stamp good for one serial number, or can I build multiple SBRs? If I get the lower engraved, how many uppers can I own.
    Will the tax stamp for the SBR help/hurt/change trying to get a supressor down the road if I decide to go that route?
    If I go through the business (or will I have to create a trust other than my business?) is there any way to seperate the business from me?
    If I do this, and want to let someone borrow my SBR, (suppressed possibly, maybe one day auto (if I win the lottery)) is that legal?
    Thanks for the help.

Let me try to take a crack at this:
    1. Buy the gun from a dealer that carries the item you want. If it a SBR, and it is out of state, the dealer will transfer said firearm to a dealer in LA normally using ATF Form 3.
    2. Your dealer in-state handles the paperwork for you (state paperwork and ATF paperwork). Using your business as the legal entity that will take the possession of this gun will free you from the hassle of CLEO sign off and fingerprint cards. Still won't save you from the $200 stamp, but you already knew that.
    3. The tax you pay is for ONE STAMP, and one only. You can have multiple uppers for a registered AR lower. Let me repeat, one stamp does not allow you to build multiple SBRs.
    4. Getting a suppressor later has nothing to do with having a papered SBR. They are two completely different animals that each require the requisite paperwork to possess.
    5. You cannot lend your SBR to anyone unless you are with the item. You will be committing a felony of unlawful transfer of a NFA item. If it is papered under a corporation, LLC or trust- corporate officers, LLC members and trustees can have possession of the item/s provided it is lawful for them to have said item/s.
    6. Even if you win the lottery, you cannot at this time make a SBR a full-auto or select-fire gun (unless you are a SOT or wanna-be felon). You can buy a FA or select-fire gun registered prior to May 86 and have fun with it with whatever upper your heart desires.

Top Bottom