SC resident, but live in LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    I have been living in Louisiana my whole life, but my parents are now moving to South Carolina. I am 18 and going to school At ULL. Although I am staying here, I still had to change my residency to South Carolina. I am looking at getting a new gun. Here is what I am wondering though. Do I have to buy the gun in South Carolina, or can I buy it here in Louisiana? Is there any paperwork or anything I will have to do if I am staying here in LA with it? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Since you are just 18 you can not buy it from a dealer. You can, however, buy it from a private person face to face or receive it as a gift. It is also technically OK for you to possess and open carry but few cops understand the law and will give you grief.

There is no paperwork required in Louisiana for firearms unless it's NFA Class III stuff (machineguns, short barrel rifles, silencers, etc).

Good luck and let us know what you are going to do.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I would guess to remain on an insurance policy or something, which there is nothing wrong with free medical.

My Brother in law starts ULL next month moving in on the 15th and out of my house on the 14th. thank God he is such a ******* lazy ass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    At 18 I can buy a rifle/shotgun from a dealer, but I can not buy a handgun from a dealer. I can however buy it from a private transaction, say a friend or family member.

Also, I changed my residency because it allows me to stay on my parents insurance. Another plus is that what I pay for car insurance was cut in half.

As for why I want a newer gun: Most of the guns that I shoot are old and are still in incredible shape and they happen to be worth some money, so I am trying to get something newer to replace my older guns so I can put them aside and save them. I also just want something different to shoot. I like to go to the range when I can and shoot, it's a hobby. Eventually though, in a few years I might get a CCW.

Lastly, I am still deciding what I want to buy. I am either looking at getting an SKS if I decide to get a rifle. I am also looking at getting a new handgun. Some of the pistols that I have narrowed my choices down to are the new Ruger SR9, CZ75-sp01, maybe a Star model B if I can find one in great shape, and I am also maybe thinking about a 1911 converted to 9mm if i can find a nice used one at a decent price. There are some others I am looking at too, but those are the main ones that I am looking at. If I go with a pistol, I am really only looking at getting a 9mm.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Just and FYI... Llama makes a 9mm 1911..

They are on gunbroker.com every once in a while..

Not the best gun ever made but they do go bang when you pull the trigger..

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    next time there is a get together at Sherburne, you should come out. its not too far from lafayette and lots of folks bring out lots of toys, and dont mind sharing them a bit.

I want a 1911 but I'm a 9mm fan as well. There are quite a few 9mm 1911's but most of them are $$$$$ and from what I've read are reliable enough, but can get hard to find mags and parts for them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Yea, I have been trying to make it out to the range for a while now, but no luck. I will definitely try and make it out to a meet. I am in Chicago though staying with my Dad for another two weeks though. Once I get back though I am going to start shooting more often. There is also a trap shooting club at UL that looks fairly active, so I will probably join that as well.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am not sure if he still has it, this was last month.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=46375#post46375

I had a 1911 built in 9mm and consists of the following:

Brand new Rock Island Armory in .38 Super as a base
    Essex slide
    Fusion Match 9mm barrel professionally fitted (Bob Serva of Fusion Arms)
    Eb Brown match bushing
    Colt 3 dot with sights, fixed
    crisp trigger pull of 4 lbs
    One piece stainless guide rod
    Rock Island .38 Super barrel is included
    Cocobolo grips panels (not the ones in the pic, I was waiting on the cocobolos)
    1 - 9 round mag
    $600.00 FTF

IMG_0288.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom