Scale Problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I have a scale issue that I’m not quite sure how to deal with.

First, about 6 months ago I purchased a Hornady Electronic Scale. I used this scale for a while and I got to a point where I didn’t trust what it was telling me. What would happen is, the readings would change some (+/- several tenths of a gr.) weighing the same object a few times, and sometimes I would get different weights if I shut it off, and turned it back on again. Not too bad, but enough to worry me, especially getting near max powders!!
    Anyway, I thought I would invest in a better scale so I bought a RCBS 10-10… Well, now I seem to be having trouble with this one. When I weigh, it works good for a while, then it seems to hang on the way up and give me a bad reading. I was double checking every load last night with my Hornady, and they would match perfectly, and then I would be trickling powder and I could see it was sticking, and in one case it was off by as much as a grain, but usually by a few tenths. I haven’t had very good luck with RCBS: Had a bad Priming tool, Their Caliper wasn’t worth a crap, and I had to send this 10-10 back before because the fine-tune-tumbler wouldn’t turn. Then I get the new scale back and the pivot point was messed up, and I took the base from the first scale and the beam from the second and thought I would make one good one LOL!!!:mad:
    Anyway, I don’t know if I’m venting or asking for advice?!! Is there something I could adjust on this RCBS scale so the beam don’t stick? Also, the beam don’t seem to be touching anything.
    Thanks!!

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    I have no idea why some people have problems with their balances...
    1) Any breeze in the room? You really need a breeze shield.
    2) Do you turn it on and let it warm up for about 30 minutes? I never turn mine off.
    3) Call RCBS
    4) Beam? Is it an electronic balance or a beam balance?
    5) Cleanliness is next to Godliness

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Be sure to clean the "V" blocks of the RCBS 10-10 where the balance be rides, small particles of dust can cause it to stick. I use a soft tooth brush to clean my 5-10 on occasions.

Many issues have been noted with electronic types, I use mine for quick and dirty weights of unknowns! or to double check my RCBS beam type.

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    This is the letter I included in returning this scale. I ordered one from Scott Parker, we’ll see how this goes. I did some research on him, and have heard good things about his scales. I’ll let ya know

I wanted you to know I’m returning this RCBS 10-10 scale because it will not accurately measure gun powder. What happens is when you are trickling powder into the scale it will stick as the beam is coming up. And after checking the weight on another scale I found it to be over the target weight by as much as 1 grain. This may not sound like much to you, but if a person is working on maximum loads the result could be dangerous to the shooter! These companies are sourcing this work out to 3rd world countries to save money, are selling more inferior products than they once did. And in this case, they are endangering the people using the product for profit!
    Oh by the way, this is the second time I returned this scale; The micrometer poise would not turn on the first one.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    It's the nature of a beam scale to sometimes stick a little, what I do is watch it and if it looks "sticky" touch it gently with a finger tip or cartridge case to make sure it's free. The instructions say to clean the pivots and bearings, with alcohol or windex, and never apply oil or any lubricant to the pivots or bearings : this will lower the accuracy of the scale. Squeeky clean is the rule, no oil or dirt...it doesn't take much to affect accuracy.
    I can't believe all the trouble you are having with your 10-10, I got a used 5-0-5, cleaned it and have had no problems. RCBS will make your's right, they are a good company. Good luck.

Gary

Last edited:

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I’m here with my scale update. My scale came in from Scott Parker this week. It came back a 1960’s Lyman-M5 by Ohaus. I worked up 50 rounds last night and was pleased with the performance. It did not stick at all, it was sensitive with each grain of Varget added to the pan, and repeated the weight reading with each test! A little pricey but I’m happy to have a scale I feel I can trust now!!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    First I've heard of this. True? (Hopefully not pulling my leg)
    Yes, it is true. Cell phones, cordless phones, and other electronics should be kept at least 6 feet away when using an electronic scale. The slightest air current will also affect accuracy.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    Yes, it is true. Cell phones, cordless phones, and other electronics should be kept at least 6 feet away when using an electronic scale. The slightest air current will also affect accuracy.

Air currents make sense to me. But with all the lab work I have done, no one has ever mentioned nor have I have read about the others that you mentioned.

Thanks for info. Learn something new everyday on this site!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Air currents make sense to me. But with all the lab work I have done, no one has ever mentioned nor have I have read about the others that you mentioned.

Thanks for info. Learn something new everyday on this site!
    There is a huge difference between "reloading" scales and "lab" scales. A $1000 Ohaus will be much better at dealing with interference than an $80 RCBS

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    There is a huge difference between "reloading" scales and "lab" scales. A $1000 Ohaus will be much better at dealing with interference than an $80 RCBS

I get that. I just find it curious that upon "googling" the issue, the only places that the issue is even mentioned is on shooting and reloading forums. I would have also expected to hear of this issue in some of the high precision lab work that our firm has done in the past - levels of precision that far far outweigh the precision needed for reloading by an order of magnitude and more. Never did. Even with a scale better at dealing with interference, I have have expected a warning of "due to potential for interference, don't use next to.....". Again, never. Not saying your wrong. I'm new to the reloading arena. Just confused/curious.

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Scooterj probably meant the $250 electronic hornady scale, not $80 RCBS, it's a beam. I have always heard of Flourescent lights interfering with the electronic scales, cannot prove it though. I do know this type of lighting has a transformer that can/will wreak havoc on a sound system.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Personal experience here. I have four, two bulb, eight foot flourecsent lights in my barn. When they are on they mess with the display on my scale. Don't know about the accuracy though. Can't read the darn thing. My guess is that it's fine and ripple current just messes up the numbers, but I always turn them off.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I just use a filament screw in vanilla bulb (outlawed of course). Mine isn't bothered by a quartz hal lamp though because I tried it once. My guess it that it isn't the tubes themselves that cause the problem but the ballast. Then again, another scale might not do it. Who knows... the world is a strange place.

Last edited:

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge

I turned of lights, air, phone... and i still could not trust my digital scale, and my rcbs was not any better. This new scale i have is dead nuts every time, no regretes spending the extra money!!

Top Bottom