Scare of my lifetime!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    I had the scare of my lifetime yesterday! My mother was at my house yesterday and my wife, mother and I were hanging out when all of the sudden we notcied the kids were not around. I have a 9 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. Normally they are either in their rooms playing or in the backyard and sometimes they play in the front yard but they are not allowed to leave the front yard. When they play in the front they play on my utility trailer right outside the front door and we can see them. We live in a nice neighborhood and safety has never been an issue. The kids were playing in the backyard when I noticed they both walked out the front door and I didn't think anything of it. 2-3 minutes later my wife asked where they were and I told her they walked out the front. We checked the front yard and didn't see any sign of them so we checked their rooms and backyard and still no sign. We initially thought they were hiding from us as they sometimes do so we went around calling their names and didn't get an answer. After a couple of minutes of my wife screaming their names we began to panic! I jumped in my truck to go around the block and told my wife to check at the neigbors across the street because they have a son that is my sons age and sometimes he plays there (but not without asking us first). My son knows better to just leave our yard without asking us. He normally doesn't even walk to the corner (two houses down) without asking first. So I jump in my truck and I'm racing around the neighborhood asking the neighbors outside if they have seen two kids and everyone says that they haven't. Man I'm starting to panic!! My wife calls me and tells me that she found them. I have never had such a range of emotions... PISSED and RELIEF at the same time!! I go back home and my wife tells me that my son went across the street to one of our neigbors to sell his school fundraiser stuff. I know my neighbors well and they are great people; when my son went over there, they opened the door and my kids went inside to sell the fundraiser crap. Well to say that I was pissed is an under statement!!! Yesterday was my sons 9th birthday but I had to teach him that what he did was wrong. I took out the belt and gave him two across the butt (only the second time in his life that he got the belt) and punished him from TV for a week.... Then gave him a big hug and explained to him that what he did was unexeptable and that he knew better than to EVER leave our yard withour approval. It sucks that he had to get punished for his birthday but I didn't see any way around it. I ended up feeling bad and letting him have his TV just for yesterday afternoon because it was his birthday but for the next week, it will be unplugged. I believe my 4 year old daughter learned a lesson at the same time. She was sent to her room for a while kicking and screaming, scared and freaked out more than anything because she saw the concern in our faces when we found them.
    I hope no one ever has to go through what I went through for those 5-10 minutes yesterday!!!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I hope no one ever has to go through what I went through for those 5-10 minutes yesterday!!!

Too late! Happened to me when one of mine was 8. It was indeed the most frightening experience I have ever encountered.

I opted against the ass whipping though. :D

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    It's happened to us before, and my daughter is just 3. We live in a subdivision, so there's really no traffic to worry about (not that we let her play on the street at her age though), but there's a lake right behind our yard, and we don't have a fence. She knows damn well not to go further back than our shed without an adult, but after the last time we lost track of her, I started looking into putting a fence up!

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Been there, done that. Mine were 5 and 7. I know that range of emotion you're talikng about too, relieved and pissed all at the same time.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I realize that living in a nice neighborhood can once in a while, not intentionally, cause someone to relax their vigilance. It happened tgo us many years ago and seems across America to be fairly common. Only a minute or two is all a predator needs and then their gone.

I think you reacted properly. Also, I do not think the neighbor should have had them come inside their home without your knowledge. In this day and age you can't be too careful.

I also feel that these school and scout sales drives causes some children to be put at risk trying to sell that stuff door to door.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    innotek-standard-dog-fence-sd-2000-1-__98132_zoom.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    ...seems across America to be fairly common. Only a minute or two is all a predator needs and then their gone.

Also, I do not think the neighbor should have had them come inside their home without your knowledge. In this day and age you can't be too careful.

I also feel that these school and scout sales drives causes some children to be put at risk trying to sell that stuff door to door.

The actual crime stats don't support this hypothesis. While I agree that you can't be too careful, the chances of a stanger abducting your child is almost infinite; whereas someone's Uncle Jimmy is far more likely to ruin a young neice's or nephew's; and in some cases; grandchildren's life.

If you have a neighbor that has the propensity to be a pedophile or predator; you should have already seen some of the warning signs in a short span of time in the area.

Last edited:

cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010

Those are great ideas. I tell ya, before yesterday I would NOT have looked twice at these tracking devices, but in this day and age, no kid is safe! There are some seriously F*CKED up people out there.

I'm sure most of you knew about this site but I will post it anyhow. It is the Family Watchdog site that you can put in your address and it shows you of any registered sexual predators in your area.
    http://www.familywatchdog.us/Search.asp

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Those are great ideas. I tell ya, before yesterday I would NOT have looked twice at these tracking devices, but in this day and age, no kid is safe! There are some seriously F*CKED up people out there.

I'm sure most of you knew about this site but I will post it anyhow. It is the Family Watchdog site that you can put in your address and it shows you of any registered sexual predators in your area.
    http://www.familywatchdog.us/Search.asp

In lieu of your recent scare I will try to be gentle. Those tracking devices aren't going to stop your child from drowning, getting run over by a car, falling and breaking their necks, etc., etc., In fact, in the extremely rare case that your child may be abducted, the creature that has taken him/her will know exactly what those devices are.

cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    In lieu of your recent scare I will try to be gentle. Those tracking devices aren't going to stop your child from drowning, getting run over by a car, falling and breaking their necks, etc., etc., In fact, in the extremely rare case that your child may be abducted, the creature that has taken him/her will know exactly what those devices are.

Yeah, you're probably right. Just gotta keep an eye on them. It doesn't take but a second and the next thing you know, they are out of site.

I thought about not posting the fact that I took out the belt. The truth of the matter is that I gave the belt to my wife to whip my son because I was too angry. There is a BIG difference between discipline and a beating! If I am pissed, I do not spank my kids, I will wait until I cool off. Besides... That was the worse part when I was a kid; when my stepdad said "Go to your room and wait for me to get my belt!" You know how some people are... Could get social services called on me!! Just for the record people... I do not "BEAT" my children.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah, you're probably right. Just gotta keep an eye on them. It doesn't take but a second and the next thing you know, they are out of site.

I thought about not posting the fact that I took out the belt. The truth of the matter is that I gave the belt to my wife to whip my son because I was too angry. There is a BIG difference between discipline and a beating! If I am pissed, I do not spank my kids, I will wait until I cool off. Besides... That was the worse part when I was a kid; when my stepdad said "Go to your room and wait for me to get my belt!" You know how some people are... Could get social services called on me!! Just for the record people... I do not "BEAT" my children.

It sounds like you are fairly newly married (just a guess). In time you will realize that you will be better off using the belt on your wife! :mamoru:

Chances are, it won't do anything for her, but I guarantee you will feel better! :p

Last edited:

cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    It sounds like you are fairly newly married (just a guess). In time you will realize that you will be better off using the belt on your wife! :mamoru:

Chances are, it won't do anything for her, but I guarantee you will feel better! :p

LMAO. Agreed. Sometimes I would like to take the belt to her. Been married 6 or 7 years... Can't remember which.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Lucky I can just look at my son and he can read my mind! When he gets caught and I look at him he goes straight to the corner if I tell him to or not, heck, he punished himself before!

If I took one of my belts after him I'd probably be breaking a law or two, that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

I am glad your kid's are alright, and be glad they have that entrepreneurial spirit!

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The very first memory I have is that of being beaten by my dad one summer day when the windows were open to catch the smallest breeze, and I was wearing my little blue and white striped jumper. I'd wandered down the street to talk to the Spanish kid who lived across the corner, and my parents freaked out. I was 3. My dad used a piece of wood.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    When I was 9 I used to ride my go cart and atv all around the neighborhood and had a
    curfew for when the street lights came on. I remeber just about every night I was out I
    would break that curfew riding around in the sorrounding woods at night with my buddies in out atvs, go carts, and dirt bikes was just too much fun. I would get home and get welps
    from the leather dog leash and grounded for 3 months at a time but usually still was allowed tv. After the 3 months was served I was out past curfew again lol good times was worth
    getting my butt beat. The only thing I regret is the look on my moms face after getting
    spanked it hurt her so much to see me get whipped. Threads like these make me greatful of the times I grew up, it would majorly suck not to be able to leave the yard. We used to
    ride miles away from the subdivision.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom