SCCY CPX-1 CBCR 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikacct

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2015
    Ponchatoula Louisiana
    Curious if anyone has had an experience with SCCY?

I was looking for a less expensive round to fire and did not want to spend a lot of cash, so I was looking at less expensive guns. I am a S&W guy and my wife likes Glock.

I had considered a Glock 17 gen 3. The CPX is half the cost and I can't believe I am saying it, but I like the wild colors.

If you have an opinion I would like to hear it.

http://www.sccy.com/sites/default/f...public/CPX-1-CBCRIMSON-left.jpg?itok=ZfVEATnM

GUY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    DENHAM SPRINGS, LA.
    I've had one for about six months. I have the flat dark earth with stainless slide. Fit and finish is perfect and mine has never malfunctioned in any manner. The warranty is lifetime of the gun and word is that the customer service is very good. I have not needed service so I am going by word of mouth. I would recommend this gun as an every day carry.

AL

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've never handled a CPX-1, but just looking at the specs, it is a very, very different pistol than the Glock 17, which I have owned several of, along with 19's, 26's, a 43, a 42, and miscellaneous other models in other calibers. I really think you're comparing apples and oranges.

The striker fire pistol (Glock) will give you a much better trigger than the double-action only (5.5 lbs vs. 9 lbs trigger pull, and likely a shorter travel, but that's not listed on the CPX specs). That would be enough in itself for me. Also, I am not a fan of the external thumb safety.

The CPX-1 appears to be a sub-compact, with a 3" barrel, vs. 4.5" in the full size G17. Based on weight, and barrel length, I would expect felt recoil to be pretty snappy compared to the 17, presumably, less accurate, as well.

Glock is an established military and LE pistol with much more in the way of aftermarket support, accessorizes, holsters, parts, etc. There are plenty of professional soldiers and law enforcement officers who will tell you that they would be comfortable gambling their life to a Glock 17. I don't think you'll find that with the CPX-1.

I think this would definitely be a case of getting what you pay for, but admittedly, I don't know what your intended use is. If you want a sub-compact 9mm, I'd look to the G26 or G43. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    There is a reason the CPX is half the price of the 17---reread JCypress---buy a 17 and have it refinished in your
    favorite color---win/win situation. Have a good day!!!

GUY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    DENHAM SPRINGS, LA.
    I would ask anyone who is denigrating the SCCY CPX2 if they have ever owned or fired the latest version.

By the way, the CX2 doesn't have an external safety.

AL

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would ask anyone who is denigrating the SCCY CPX2 if they have ever owned or fired the latest version.

By the way, the CX2 doesn't have an external safety.

AL

I don't think that I was denigrating the CPX2, as that's not the gun that the OP asked about. I also don't think that I denigrated the CPX-1, but pointed out (just a few) simple, objective differences between the two guns, as listed on their websites and generally accepted industry knowledge.

That said, since you mention it, I will be happy to meet on an open range where we can put both pistols through their paces (say, 1500 rounds each?) and compare aftermarket support, and general worldwide acceptance as one of the greatest combat handguns ever built. We can gather a panel of 10 neutral observers and judges to make the call at the end of the day. If the CPX 1 or CPX 2 wins, I will give you $100 and I will donate $1,000 to Marsoc Foundation. If the Glock wins, you owe me $100 and donate $1000 to Marsoc Foundation. I am available next weekend.

Deal?

mikacct

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2015
    Ponchatoula Louisiana
    (big smile on my face) I love an active forum. 1,500 rounds! I thought I shot a lot, which is what got me started on looking for a gun to fire a less expensive round in the first place. Not only do I like to shoot, I like to look. My brother mentioned Kriss Vector, which he has been looking at. I checked them out, but the 9mm defeats the purpose of their design imho. I looked at 22s and stumbled across HK and others. Anyway.....

I kept looking and now really like the HK VP9 along with a couple other choices. Since my wife does not work, I will have her do some looking around to see what is available and to take some notes on prices. I still want to check out the CPX too. Fortunately, I have plenty of guns and ammo, so no need to rush.

Edit: (curiosity killed the cat) https://www.marsocfoundation.org/

Last edited:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I picked up a SCCY but did not like the ergos. That's subjective so whatever. If you are looking for an economical double stack carry pistol the KT P11 is another option.

GUY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    DENHAM SPRINGS, LA.
    JC, I can't help but occasionally poking a stick at one of you Glock fanboys. I have no interest in having a shooting contest with you and I hope you can regain your sense of humor and refrain from having a stroke.

I happen to like Glocks but I just can not bring myself to worship them.

I choose my own charities and do not require a bet to loosen my wallet.

Happy shooting shooting and have a nice day.

AL

mikacct

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2015
    Ponchatoula Louisiana
    So I came across a dirt cheap CPX-2 and could not resist. Took it out to Honey Island earlier today. I always clean a gun first thing. This CPX was pretty tight. After a good cleaning and a little lubrication it loosened up a little.......a little.

The trigger is pretty weird. 9 pounds I read and a very long pull. Takes some getting use to.

For me it was a fairly accurate point and shoot pistol. I tried it 2 handed, right and left; very easy to shoot one handed. The accuracy was not bad at all. Recoil was not as bad as i expected.

Super easy to take apart, clean and reassemble.

I am kind of new to guns, so I am still learning. I am sure I prefer revolvers over automatics. Just a matter of taste I guess.

So would this newbie recommend a CPX.....probably not, but having said that, I still kind of like it, but it will never be my first line home defense weapon.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    JC, I can't help but occasionally poking a stick at one of you Glock fanboys. I have no interest in having a shooting contest with you and I hope you can regain your sense of humor and refrain from having a stroke.

I happen to like Glocks but I just can not bring myself to worship them.

I choose my own charities and do not require a bet to loosen my wallet.

Happy shooting shooting and have a nice day.

AL

All that I have done is offer objective facts about the firearms in question, and my own conclusions based on those facts and common industry knowledge. When challenged on my argument, I offered to participate in a neutral field trial between the two firearms to prove my points. You have chosen to make personal statements toward me, inferring that I "worship" Glocks and am a Glock "fanboy," that I am worked up to the point of having a stroke, and that there is an issue with my sense of humor.

Shifting the focus of the argument to the individual, rather than presenting actual facts, is a common, albeit ineffective technique that is often employed do distract from the fact that a person can't substantiate their claims.

I gave the OP about a half dozen facts upon which he could compare and contrast the two firearms. All you have told us is that yours looks good and hasn't broken in the 6 months you've owned it. If you don't want to participate in an actual test of the two guns, can you at least provide some facts as to what makes the CPX a better choice than the Glock 17? I'll give you a head start: The CPX is cheaper, and more concealable...

Top Bottom