School me on knife laws - Concealed and Open Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I know you can't carry a Ka-Bar in the state, concealed or not. Had to ask a cop about this on another forum. Big no-no, apparently.

If you mean LA, he was mistaken. Not only is it legal, I carried mine on my belt for three years before I discovered CRKT knives.

You can carry a machete on your hip if you want. Don't act the surprised victim if you get questioned regularly, but there is nothing illegal about it.

Kahuna_Kennen

Redneck With An AK-47
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Alexandria
    If you mean LA, he was mistaken. Not only is it legal, I carried mine on my belt for three years before I discovered CRKT knives.

You can carry a machete on your hip if you want. Don't act the surprised victim if you get questioned regularly, but there is nothing illegal about it.

A full 7-inch bladed Ka-Bar, in cities and towns? Really? :eek3:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    My pleasure.

One time a cop kindof checked on me, but he knew I was legal, and could tell I wasn't a hoodlum, so he advised me to find a good folder just as friendly advice, which I took.

My problem was I use my knives ALOT, and I know a guy who cut his thumb to the bone from a blade lock failing on him, so I was leary of folders. But when I discovered the Autolawks CRKTs, I jumped on them.

Kahuna_Kennen

Redneck With An AK-47
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Alexandria
    My pleasure.

One time a cop kindof checked on me, but he knew I was legal, and could tell I wasn't a hoodlum, so he advised me to find a good folder just as friendly advice, which I took.

My problem was I use my knives ALOT, and I know a guy who cut his thumb to the bone from a blade lock failing on him, so I was leary of folders. But when I discovered the Autolawks CRKTs, I jumped on them.

Yeah. Snapped the blade of my old folder down on my thumb once. Then I bought one with a heavier blade last June and almost took on the same thumb again. That's why I switched to my Ka-Bar. But, it's just a bit overkill atm.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My pleasure.

How do you like CRKT's? The people of arfcom say they are bad... but then again... it's arfcom :mamoru:

tso

Observing...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Covington
    Their logic was that a butterfly knife is a weapon while chef knives are not. I tried to tell them it was a box opener but they weren't going for it :D

After looking through La Revised Statute, and discussing it with a couple of friends that are into knives and law, there are only two items defined as weapons in LaRS; Firearms and Explosives. All other materials are not weapons until used as one. Therefore you cannot be carrying a weapon if it is not one under the law.

In LaRS 14:95 the language "or other instrumentality customarily used as a dangerous weapon," seems to create a large gray area that has been exploited when charging weapons violations.

Can you be charged with carrying an illegal wepon with a knife concealed, depends on the officer/agency, will the charges stick ... depends on the DA and the Judge (and your defense attorney).

Unfortunately the language of the law leaves considerable lattitude in interpretation.... the good news is you'll get your day in court, the bad news is you'll get your day in court.

If you claim you carry the for defense, then it may be interpreted that you view it as a weapon. If you claim the knife is used as a tool for work, hobby, etc, then it is difficult to articulate your mindset that it is a weapon in the police report.

I am not a layer, just my .02.

tso

tso

Observing...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Covington

^^^THIS^^^

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    Louisiana Revised Statutes 14.2(3) "Dangerous weapon" includes any gas, liquid or other substance or instrumentality, which, in the manner used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.

Louisiana Revised Statutes 14.95 A (1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person; or

LRS 14.95 A (4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

-----

These are the applicable statutes, to the best of my knowledge.

The wording is vague on purpose so as to be applied across a broad range of circumstances. I recall one fight where the 'dangerous instrumentalities' included fire extinguisher foam, the metal canister of the fire extinguisher, a 1/2 gallon can of gasoline and a clothes iron. Not exactly things that tend to get enumerated as weapons.

Louisiana doesn't have the 'bad tools' list that a lot of states have. For instance, Oregon, a state where I held residence in the late 90s, has this bit of code.: ORS 166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

The 'dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot' phrase appears in a number of various states statutes.

Lest we forget, cities and municipalities can enact, and enforce, their own codes/statutes that are more restrictive than the LRS.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom