School me on mulching blades

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Well I need new blades bad and since I popped my mowing belt today and have the deck off I might as well do it now. I have been considering mulching blades because I hear they make nice small grass pieces but I have no experience with them. Pros/cons, tips? I have a Scott 48" with a Kholer 20HP. I tend to cut before it gets bad but I have been known to let it get high when work gets long or hunting season starts. I realize its getting to the end of cutting season but I would rather get it done now.

So, anyone have mulching blades and would like to share?

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Pros:
    Grass is healthier.
    No bags to dump.
    No clippings sprayed into sidewalks/driveways/beds.
    Can rake leaves into a pile and then shred with mower.

Cons:
    Requires more HP due to high lift blade design and slightly slower cutting speed.
    Wet grass is harder to cut
    Clippings will get on your feet up to a day later if you walk in wet, cut grass.

For you, you've got plenty of mower to run mulching blades and it WILL turn anything into small pieces.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Ive tried both at my house, and it just looks so much neater and takes way less time to cut with mulching blades because you dont have to deal with clippings. My grass grows between 2 and 3 inches a week and you cant even see the clippings with mulching blade.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    We stopped using our finishing mower because after changing the blades, the clippings are left in a big pile and looks horrible so its been parked since. Does anyone think mulching blades would help? There is no discharge on it.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have an older scott mower (2001) and I have only found these mulching blades so far.
    330-389.jpg

It might be the wrong picture but do these look like mulching blades? I always thought they looked different.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom