Scope choices for a rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Ok guys,

Here is where I'm at. I've narrowed down scope choices to finish the rifle build. The rifle is a Remington 700 in .308 and I'm looking at 3 scopes. I really doubt that I would need to shoot anything beyond 300 yds; but hey!

Scope #1:
    Millett 4-16x50mm TRS-1 Tactical Riflescope, Mil-Dot Illuminated Reticle

trs_2008_2.jpg

Scope #2:
    Nikon 4.5-14SF x40mm with Mil-dot

i712275sn04b.jpg

and last...
    Scope #3:
    Nikon 3x9 x 40mm with BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) but I might buy the "kit" that also has the digital range finder. SO it throws this scope up into the 300 dollar range too.

The Nikons have great glass, I've looked thru them, I'm just not sure on the Millett.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    #2 would be my choice....and I'll tell you why...

BDC reticles are a gimmick. The only way to make an accurate BDC knob is to give the scope maker your exact ballistics and even then it would only be accurate at the same elevation, temp., humidity, etc. The same round does NOT shoot the same speed/trajectory out of all rifles or even two duplicate rifles with the same specs. Get the Mil-dot......get a mil-dot master.....then learn to use them. That way WHEN you get the chance to shoot further you won't have to worry about the BDC reticle being off that much more and the scope will be interchangable with any other rifle you might want to put it on.

Even if the BDC is accurate for 168 SMK's out of your rifle....what are you going to do when you want to go hunting/shooting and only have 150 soft point's or 175's???

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    +1 on #2. Nikon is excellent glass and you can't beat a mildot reticle. Millet makes okay glass but the Nikon beats them hands down. Spend the bit extra on the Nikon and you won't regret it.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    +1 on Ritten factory BDC for multiple calibers cannot be accurate, you may want to look at the Leupold custom shop scopes, they are not far priced at what you are looking at, you can get a VX11 with a custom designed reticle all of your exact bullet's dynamics = ballistic coefficient, velocity, weight, temperature and altitude for an extra $69.99, all for under $400.00, that way, the holdover marks at 200, 300, 400 and 500, are exactly calibrated to your bullet / load, its exact science, and its a Leupold, go to the website and put in the info, its that easy and 2 to 3 week delivery on a custom scope made for you, you can even have your name laser engraved on the tube, I like the holdover scopes as they are faster, no turrets to turn, but I shoot tactical 3 gun and not F - class like Ritten, I guess its all what you are looking for

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Then I chose wisely....

I picked up # 2 last week and it really is great. The mil-dot on it is really superb. The BDC has tiny circles and just looking across the showroom, I could see where one could get distracted with that. The only reason I mentioned that one, was of the rangefinder, but don't really need it.

I'm just waiting to hear back from Nikon now on a sunshade. Supposedly, I can get either a 2" or 3"; but Cabelas didn't have any in stock nor showed them in their catalogue.

T&TGu

tommy
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Maurice
    As of now I only get to shoot on the makeshift range at home. I have both a nikon and leupold and for the money I rather my super sniper 10X from swfa.

bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I agree/disagree on the BDC. It's great for its intended purpose, which is giving easy elevation when shooting an area the size of a 'kill zone'. It's NOT a target/varmint reticle. Shooting a bulls-eye at 300 yards sucks. Shooting 12" balloons at 600 yards is great.

Until this weekend, I'd never shot beyond 200 yards. The BDC allowed me to quickly transition between yardages. It doesn't give you the precision that tried and true elevation adjustments will give. I can see where it will serve REALLY well "in the field", where shooting opportunities are random.

I view the BDC as a specific tool for a specific purpose. Over hyped? Absolutely. A gimmick? Not from my point of view, or that of the fellas I was shooting with.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    T&T. Do you find that the 10x is good for 25yd+. What I mean is sight picture between the distances. I really want one and have read A LOT about them I just don't k ow anyone with one to ask about them personally.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Of your three choices, #2 sounds like the better deal. I think the Buckmaster was one of the scopes recently suggested in "Field and Stream" (I know they had the coyote series of Nikons). As I understand it, the "slam" package (#3?) is the Prostaff Nikon which I do not believe is as high a grade scope as the Buckmaster. I do agree that Nikon glass is hard to beat (for me).

I'm in the process of putting a good .308 rifle together, too. I've never owned a rifle/scope combination of moderate cost (not cheap) where the scope was matched in quality to the rifle.

Good luck with your new piece.

wallstdevil

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nikon scopes are really great and their customer service was painless for me so far. I also have a mueller on .22 and the glass have been pretty clear. Both also have life-time warranty.

Top Bottom