Scope for my deer rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    I just bought a Howa 1500 in 308 caliber. Now I need a good scope. I hunt Whitetail in South Mississippi so the shots are not very far. 300 yards and less. I am willing to hunt in low light conditions. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I appreciate higher magnification so that I can see buttons on a button buck. You only need 4-8x for solid aiming at 100yds, but 10-14x+ lets you inspect your target better and it's fun to look around. I'm not the most experienced but thus far....

I do not own one, but Arken Optics has gotten a lot of good reviews for a $400ish scope.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Illuminated reticles are great for shooting in low light conditions where a black reticle will be hard to see.

VX-3 would be good but hard to find for $400

I would recommended a Burris Fullfield IV or Trijicon Huron if you don't need illumination. They are on sale at Europtic for $300 right now

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    They have cheaper leupold’s with firedot, bit just vx3… a illuminated is a must for me for deer and hogs at last minute light… it’s a game changer for me

But also vortex ect

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    I appreciate higher magnification so that I can see buttons on a button buck. You only need 4-8x for solid aiming at 100yds, but 10-14x+ lets you inspect your target better and it's fun to look around. I'm not the most experienced but thus far....

I do not own one, but Arken Optics has gotten a lot of good reviews for a $400ish scope.
    Thanks

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    They have cheaper leupold’s with firedot, bit just vx3… a illuminated is a must for me for deer and hogs at last minute light… it’s a game changer for me

But also vortex ect
    Totally agree. Trying to shoot a black pig at early morning or last light is hard without an illuminated reticle-especially if ground/background is dark as well

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Tract scopes are a good optic for what you are looking for. I like Leupold also, but for what you are looking for may be a little bit over 400. I think if you do a little research you will find lots of good scopes in the 400 dollar range. I like good glass, but let’s be honest and say that most deer killed in our area could be killed with a scope that cost way less than 400 dollars. Buy the best you can afford and then shoot with it and see how it does. It’s nice to shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yds but again, in my humble opinion, as long as you can hit a grapefruit size target at 100 yards you are good to go for deer hunting in our area.

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville

Tract scopes are a good optic for what you are looking for. I like Leupold also, but for what you are looking for may be a little bit over 400. I think if you do a little research you will find lots of good scopes in the 400 dollar range. I like good glass, but let’s be honest and say that most deer killed in our area could be killed with a scope that cost way less than 400 dollars. Buy the best you can afford and then shoot with it and see how it does. It’s nice to shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yds but again, in my humble opinion, as long as you can hit a grapefruit size target at 100 yards you are good to go for deer hunting in our area.
    Thanks for your honest response. I’ve hunted with hundred dollar scopes and $400 scopes. I killed deer with both. What do you think about an illuminated reticle? Does it make a difference?

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I don't take that far of a shot near dark yet but I would rather put the money toward a better clarity optic than an illuminated reticle. Although I do have an astigmatism which causes light to "burst" so I wouldn't listen to me.

If you end up wanting a non illuminated retical, the Athlon BTR Gen 2 is only $370ish. Their customer service from what I've read is outstanding. With that said, I'd rather have it and not need it.

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    I don't take that far of a shot near dark yet but I would rather put the money toward a better clarity optic than an illuminated reticle. Although I do have an astigmatism which causes light to "burst" so I wouldn't listen to me.

If you end up wanting a non illuminated retical, the Athlon BTR Gen 2 is only $370ish. Their customer service from what I've read is outstanding. With that said, I'd rather have it and not need it.
    Thanks.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Like SVT, my eyes are not good enough to see a deer when it get late so I don’t really take shots at that time. I’m interested in the firefly scopes though as I think it’s a good option for late hunts.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    A scope with a 50 mm objective lense will gather more light and help you see better in low light conditions when compared to a scope with a 32 mm objective lense. I don't side with the illuminated reticle idea. In low light conditions, if a light is shined at your eye, what happens? Your iris closes and admits less light. You will see the crosshair better but your clarity of the target diminishes. Food for thought.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom