Score for the citizen!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    People are always focusing on the bad. How many officers DIDN'T trample anyone's rights that day? Rather than just complain, what can you do to fix the problem? Hint: doubtful it happens sitting behind a computer.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    Just to name a few,

Because there are way too many people on this forum that have a chip on their shoulder where police are concerned and will never give them the benefit of the doubt nor have the ability to actually understand what law enforcement is and how it functions.

Because there are too many people on here who think that high scores on Call Of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, or Medal of Honor makes them experts on everything there is to know about every subject there is and will ignorantly get into pissing matches with real experts.

Because there are too many people on here that are closet sovereign citizens or think they are.

Well said.

I agree.

JR1572
    This made me laugh!

Last edited:

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    Now, forgive me for being skeptical, but who do we have as a witness besides the 64 year old Army vet that the officer in question, for no reason whatsoever, pulled his duty weapon and pointed it at said veteran?

I am not saying this couldn't or didn't happen, I just find these stories hard to believe.

This x10!

That article is so full of slant and fail that I actually thought it was a CNN article!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I still have a problem with the OC crowd accepting money. They claim they want to do this to promote 2A rights, why take the cash. Cover the legal fees and demand training for the officers. Now he should use the money to buy vests, equipment, training, etc to help the officers whose time he wasted.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    It was a learning opportunity and the officer did apologize, the important part is he didn't point his weapon at him, if he did, that would have been grounds for assault. But even though he just unholstered his weapon, if a citizen did that, he would have been brandishing a firearm and the end result wouldn't be pretty. Double standard.

I never heard of that charge. What's the result from it that isn't pretty?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I never heard of that charge. What's the result from it that isn't pretty?

I know where you're going, but for our uninformed friend...

An officer of the law, in performance of his duties cannot be charged with assault for pointing his duty weapon at an individual he believes is a threat to his or another's safety.

If a citizen unholsters a gun in the presence of an officer, he'll be lucky if he doesn't get shot. THAT would not be pretty.

And yes, there is a double standard because generally, police officers don't go around pointing their guns at people for no reason.

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    While I believe there is indubitably a need for open carry to be legal, I cannot shake the feeling that it is often unnecessary and in many cases akin to asking to be harassed by the police. Concealed carry accomplishes much of the same goals without causing the alarm associated with open carry. That being said, the line between an officer of the law drawing their weapon on you and having a conversation about the legality of an action seems to be a little close for my comfort.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I know where you're going, but for our uninformed friend...

An officer of the law, in performance of his duties cannot be charged with assault for pointing his duty weapon at an individual he believes is a threat to his or another's safety.

If a citizen unholsters a gun in the presence of an officer, he'll be lucky if he doesn't get shot. THAT would not be pretty.

And yes, there is a double standard because generally, police officers don't go around pointing their guns at people for no reason.

If the officer pointed his weapon because his was pissed and out of control, would that be assault?

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Absolutely!!!
    And further more, being a veteran or a leo for that matter, does not make you a firearms expert.

If a Combat Soldier/Marine/SEAL/Airman carries and maintains their firearm, and the team's other weapon systems every day for 15 months-4+ years, knowing the inner workings of them, it's shortcomings and advantages, as well as the optics and attachments, and trains/uses it 3+ times a week, that doesn't make them proficient or an expert in their field of use?

Same goes with a career LEO.

I truly think you're incorrect here.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    If a Combat Soldier/Marine/SEAL/Airman carries and maintains their firearm, and the team's other weapon systems every day for 15 months-4+ years, knowing the inner workings of them, it's shortcomings and advantages, as well as the optics and attachments, and trains/uses it 3+ times a week, that doesn't make them proficient or an expert in their field of use?

No dog in this fight but what I think he was trying to say is that just because a person is in a particular field or trade it does not make them an expert. For example I know an Army vet who did his four years and his extent of firearm knowledge is he knows what end the bullet comes out. Ask him to do a basic field strip of a Glock and he looks at you like your speaking Chinese.

Just because you own a piano doesn't mean you can play like Mozart

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA

Not really.

I know officers that can strip their weapons and reassemble them blind folded and they still can't hit the silhouette!

On the one hand they are experts in the mechanics of their weapons, but not the applications.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Roger, understood, I know the type too, that never left the FOB, but lumping an entire category of people is an incorrect way of conveying an opinion. It's like saying all cops are after your guns and rights. Make sense? There's a **** ton that are just the opposite of the claims, chances are you know more that are than not.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge

In my quote I said "firearms" expert. I do believe the vet or leo is an expert concerning their specific weapon.
    The point I was making is that, "Expert" status concerning all things firearms is sometimes conveyed to vets and leos.
    Some are firearms enthusiast, but most that I know just know their duty weapon and that is the extent of their firearms knowledge.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom