scuba camera

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Anyone have experience with underwater cameras? I don't need any high end camera just one that is good down to 100 ft for under $350 or so. I have read a lot about the GoPro and the different models but I want to see what else is out there that is worth looking at.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone have experience with underwater cameras? I don't need any high end camera just one that is good down to 100 ft for under $350 or so. I have read a lot about the GoPro and the different models but I want to see what else is out there that is worth looking at.

GoPro

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I doubt anything in Teddy's kit cost under a grand, but he may have some pointers. I'd look at some of the action cams with the waterproof housings, JVC just released a new one that has an LCD and looks pretty sweet.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I have no experience with go pro. I used to own a sea and sea motomarine and it was a sweet setup. Digital last I checked when I was doing it, did not work with ttl metering. Had to run in full manual. Which means less looking and more camera fiddling. Olympus also had a nice setup last I looked into it.

If you're interested, I have a rebel XT with housing, dual strobes, dome, complete setup I could probably be talked out of. About 2 grand invested total and only was underwater once.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've rented a Sea&Sea a couple of times and was very pleased. Can't recall what model or anything but renting was a great option and it took good pics.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah I just got in from another trip shooting underwater offshore. This is a video I made a few months ago:

That was made with a 5D Mark II in an Aquatica housing. It took a year of pool work to get the buoyancy and trim perfect on me and the camera to get those smooth shots. That camera setup is just a little out of your budget though.

For your budget your best choice is probably going to be a GoPro with the red filter option. If I had to do that I would get a tray/handles setup and some floats. The most important thing is to get the buoyancy and trim of the setup just perfect. You want to be able to let go of the rig and have it just hover in front of you.

Here is a tray that would probably work:
    http://amzn.com/B0050RI7CQ

You can use regular floats from Academy to get the buoyancy right. Plan to do a lot of practicing in the pool. We have regular pool SCUBA nights at LSU you can participate in.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have a playsport waterproof, but I dont think it is good to pressure at 100 foot down. I have swam with it, used it in rainstorms, etc though with great results and it cost under $100.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom