Scuba Certfication

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    “Sea Hunt” got me started when I was a kid. Started with a second hand Agualung that you had to roll to clear and a bag of rocks. Have since put many hours in underwater doing various types of research diving including deep submersible work. Still a licensed submersible pilot to this day. Miss it like nothing I have ever done in my life since I have gotten older.

As far as where to dive... Grand Cayman, Brac & Little Cayman. Nowhere in the world even comes close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    The first dives I ever made were solo. In 1957 divers were few and far between. Roland's Army Surplus and Sporting Goods and Security Sporting Goods were the only places that sold scuba gear. There was not yet any instructional organizations yet except for Los Angeles County Life Guards and the US Navy. You read the instruction book that came with the tank and regulator and went diving. I got certified by YMCA in 1970 because dive shops and charter boat started requiring it to rent equipment or book charters.
    Harry Cauldwell opened Harry's Dive Shop in 1970 and taught the course at the New Orleans downtown YMCA. Harry Certified me.

i worked and dove with some old timers that told stories of filling propane tanks from tire repair shops to 300psi and diving with them, because scuba bottles were so expensive.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I've been certified since 1990 through PADI. I will tell you that it is a very dangerous thing, IF, you are not ready and properly trained. When trained properly, it is relatively safe. I saw folks who signed up in training classes get in a 7' crystal clear pool and not be able to complete the basic safety skills and drop out of the class. I had a friend shoot to the top during his check out dive and get the bends and pretty messed up. One of those things were you have to be able to remain calm to handle things. I'd get certified before you go, just so you can be sure. I've heard horror stories of foreign dive operators strapping people up and putting them out there. Very scary. Good luck!

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Definitely learn your stuff because it can (and does) kill people who take it casually. By all means BE SURE that you know how to use a real dive table properly and ALWAYS dive with a hard copy on you. DON’T rely on a “dive computer” gizmo! Learn the concept. Bent once, bent for life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    also choose your dive tables carefully.

navy tables are for fit 18-30 yr olds.

padi/naui tables are verrry padded navy tables, for very padded people.

you can find alot of commercial dive company(cal-dive, stolt, helix, chet morrison, etc...) tables, designed for fair shape 25-40 yr olds to maximize water time.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I used the old Navy tables (60 feet for 60 minutes, 60 feet per minute accent rate) for years until the Edge computer came out and I bought one in 86. I still have it, it still works. Computers changed diving for the better but diving still requires an understanding of the tables and algorithms behind them. I don't know if a basic PADI class even mentions tables today. Is the PADI wheel still in use?

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I got PADI basic, deep, advanced, nitrox certed this summer. Tables (and the concepts behind them) are taught but use and operations of the computers is the emphasis. I was taught to dive with 2 and it worked out great.

Like anything else, personnel gear is better than rental...but no way would I spend that money unless I had 20-30 dives with a plan to continue. High *washout* rate of the hobby.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I got PADI basic, deep, advanced, nitrox certed this summer. Tables (and the concepts behind them) are taught but use and operations of the computers is the emphasis. I was taught to dive with 2 and it worked out great.

Like anything else, personnel gear is better than rental...but no way would I spend that money unless I had 20-30 dives with a plan to continue. High *washout* rate of the hobby.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I will likely only dive whenever we travel, so once or twice a year. It also depends if I like it or not.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I will likely only dive whenever we travel, so once or twice a year. It also depends if I like it or not.

Then I'd only buy masks and snorkle, and a few extra regulator mouth pieces that fit your mouth. Just swap them on the rental units.

Try on lots of masks before you buy. A well fitting comfortable mask is key. I have very Slavic features(broad nose, high cheeks, broad forehead, narrow chin) and finding a good mask was very difficult to find.

Last edited:

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I forgot to mention that. Find and buy your own mask that works for you. I liked having gloves too. I stopped using dive booties and started using Converse All Stars. Chucks work great on the boat, for beach dives and they worked better in the water for me too.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    A lot of the dive resorts do not allow gloves to be worn. Logic is with bare hands people will be less likely to touch the reef. I first ran into that rule in Cozumel in 97.

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    Mark Smith certified me in 92. I can tell you that underwater adventures in baton rouge will train you to handle any situation in any environment. Im still diving now and would recommend whoever you choose to train with should be experienced and up to date on all the technology. UA has taken trips all over the world and can advise you on just about any destination you choose. And no. I don't work for them. Im just a satisfied customer for many decades.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Y’all can have all of that diving nonsense. There are things in the ocean that have yet to be discovered. I’d feel like bait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Y’all can have all of that diving nonsense. There are things in the ocean that have yet to be discovered. I’d feel like bait

I think the most disappointing thing about getting scuba certified would be getting to the bottom of the local lakes and waterways and not finding all of the guns lost in the boating accidents that are discussed here.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central

when i was diving commercially 90%of the time the water is so muddy you could shine a light in your helmet and see nothing. a lot of guys did not like that.
    the worst biting creature we usually encountered was trigger fish. any exposed skin was a target for those razor sharp squirrel teeth.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I think the most disappointing thing about getting scuba certified would be getting to the bottom of the local lakes and waterways and not finding all of the guns lost in the boating accidents that are discussed here.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    when i was diving commercially 90%of the time the water is so muddy you could shine a light in your helmet and see nothing. a lot of guys did not like that.
    the worst biting creature we usually encountered was trigger fish. any exposed skin was a target for those razor sharp squirrel teeth.

I’m friends with an old under water welder. No matter how much money they make, it’s not worth it

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension

I got bit by triggerfish, spearfishing. They're like snapping turtles; they don't let go.
    One of the reasons I started wearing a beanie, to cover my ears. :D

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA

My contention was it was good trigger fish were the size they were, if they were any bigger they would be the most dangerous fish in the sea. Once a dive buddy had one latch on to his hand between his thumb and index finger and wouldn't let go. He had to climb in the boat with it before it finally let him go.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I got bit by triggerfish, spearfishing. They're like snapping turtles; they don't let go.
    One of the reasons I started wearing a beanie, to cover my ears. :D

My contention was it was good trigger fish were the size they were, if they were any bigger they would be the most dangerous fish in the sea. Once a dive buddy had one latch on to his hand between his thumb and index finger and wouldn't let go. He had to climb in the boat with it before it finally let him go.

If you have a mask with excess adjustable straps, it wiggles like a worm and draws them in! Then, I think they bite your ears out of spite! And, yes; it is not pleasant!

Top Bottom