Sealing trailer deck boards

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore
    I got a used utility trailer a few months ago with a wood deck it has treated deck boards bolted to a wire mesh bottom and I’d like to seal it . The boards are about a year old and I’ve re configured it with the grain “cup down ” spaced for swelling . I’d like some more experienced opinions on protecting the boards so they last longer in the south and not be slippery it’s 5’x8’ and 1”x6” boards .
    so what works good in this climate ?
    should I take them off and do the bottom of the boards too ?
    im gona oil some gun stocks and figured id plan on doing the trailer too but use something else on the trailer . I’m planing to use raw linseed oil or tung oil on the gun stocks I don’t know if that would work for the trailer

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    What I learned from an old timer I’ve always done: in the summer sun when the deck is nice and dry, take an old mop and the used oil out of whatever vehicle needed a change, swab the deck. It’ll soak in fast in the sun so hit it again. Some may mix diesel with the oil but that’s just a trick to thin it down for using a pump sprayer. It’s better to mop it on straight. The deck will be a little slick, especially when it gets wet, but it’ll last a long time.

Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore
    I have heard of boiling diesel and moping it on flat bed trailers back in the day . I have an old boat paddle my grand father gave me , he found it in the spillway and sealed it with used motor oil it’s ruff feeling and I’d hate to use it for an extended paddle

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    It’s a deck board. Use what’s used in decks. Thompsons Water seal or similar. it works well.

What usually kills trailer boards is weather and sun topside or some leaves etc left on it. pressure wash and Seal it on top and keep anything that can hold moisture off of it long term and the boards can last 10-15 plus years.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I bought a new trailer early this year and debated going with the old oil treatment. Did a good bit of reading and ended up going with this stuff since the wood and trailer were all brand new. When the wood gets old and cracked I'll probably look at doing the used oil method. My FIL painted the deck on another trailer a long while back (with paint) and it has held up really well, but slippery as ice when wet.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I just use straight diesel fuel about once a year, roll it on using a paint roller on a long pole. Use a fluffy roller to better hold the relatively thin fluid, and the pole extension to keep from having to bend over a lot.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I just use straight diesel fuel about once a year, roll it on using a paint roller on a long pole. Use a fluffy roller to better hold the relatively thin fluid, and the pole extension to keep from having to bend over a lot.

This is what I use to do when I had my bigger trailer. It seemed to do the job for a lot cheaper, diesel was still cheap back then lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Thompsons water seal on deck both sides---Tru Oil on guns (wooden furniture) ---it doesn't get any better than these
    tried and true methods---reseal trailer boards yearly for best results.

Top Bottom