Secret Service dog falls to its death from roof of New Orleans parking deck

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I find this incredibly sad. I know a number of LEO's that use Mals on duty and I personally love the breed. I plan on getting one as soon as I can afford a place with a yard.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/27/us/louisiana-secret-service-dog-death/index.html

(CNN) -- A Secret Service dog fell to its death Saturday night while doing a sweep of a multi-story parking deck near a hotel where Vice President Joe Biden was speaking.

The Belgian Malinois fell from the roof of the six-story deck adjacent to The Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans where Biden was speaking at a fundraiser for U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu, reported CNN affiliate WWL.

Secret Service spokesman Max Milien told CNN the death was a "tragic accident."

The agency began its canine program in 1975 to detect explosives. It uses Belgian Malinois because they are small and have short hair -- making it easy for them to work in the heat. They are also very sociable.

Each dog and its handler has to complete 20 weeks of training before beginning work, the agency said.

When it's time for a dog to retire -- usually after about 10 years -- it is retired to its handler.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Poor dog probably couldn't stand doing something worthwhile for Biden...that being said I feel sad for the pooch but what the hell made it jump off the roof?

I don't know that it jumped.

Reminds me of the NOPD officer whose K9 fell to his death in an elevator shaft during a security sweep.

snoopygw73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    mandeville/covington
    Great........... Now biden is going to propose banning roofs. soon, your children won't even be able to inherit your old roof even if it is a considered a pre-ban roof. i guess i am going home depot to start stocking up on shingles before the shelves are wiped out and the shingles are sold for 3x as much on shinglebroker.com

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Great........... Now biden is going to propose banning roofs. soon, your children won't even be able to inherit your old roof even if it is a considered a pre-ban roof. i guess i am going home depot to start stocking up on shingles before the shelves are wiped out and the shingles are sold for 3x as much on shinglebroker.com

:chuckles:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Now y'all have me wondering, too.

Is there any evidence to suggest the dog could actually hear Biden speaking prior to this happening?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Jumped might have been the wrong wording on that first post but with these types of dogs usually the handlers have a harness or collar so it's just crazy that they fall.

On many of the behind the scenes video I have seen of Secret Service bomb sweeping the dogs are running loose. Probably easier to just let the dog go when sweeping large stadiums and office buildings. My dog lost his balance and fell into a swimming pool once. It happens.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006

tumblr_lvsx1u3VZ31qixfalo1_250.jpg

Top Bottom