Secure room construction

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Who are these safe crackers? Stainless steel walls with concrete between is a very easy breach. It's rigid. No give. Your safe busters are liars or nitwits or lying nitwits.
    In regards to a safe room at a house, not a bank vault. For a storm shelter or something like that, what they mentioned would work well. Of course if you plan on hiding out from someone with decent breaching skills you are going to want something more. Your everyday robber is not getting through steel and concrete and a storm won't affect it. On a slightly different note, I did inquire how they get into seemingly impenetrable bank vaults and I decided I would absolutely hate their job.

Dgraham225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Denham springs
    Its not something i would argue over but the reason its cheaper is because it replaces some of what makes concrete what it is. Fly ash is a cost saver because it flows easier and requires less "work" to fill the forms. It doesnt make it better, it makes it less labor intensive to pour thereby increasing profits on the labor side and also cutting the cost of the product by "filling" the concrete mix with something other than cement.

The cost savings is one of the many benefits, calling it just a filler for cost savings is selling it short.. Don't get me started on permeability, durability, sustainability, ASR mitigation, the list goes on. Pozzolans have cementitiuous characteristics of their own, Portland cement is hardly the only material to do so. Ash both in Class C and F, blast furnace slag, silica fume, etc. have ALL improved ready mix to unimaginable achievements.

One of the only negatives I can say about its use is slightly delayed 7 and 28 day compressive strengths. After that, it not only evens out but surpasses pure Portland due to cements inability to fully hydrate on its own

Dgraham225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Denham springs
    But yea, if I were building a safe room without breaking the bank, it would definitely include block walls slam full of concrete and rebar lol. Cheap and effective.:bowdown:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Im from Indiana and it took me a while to think of why nobody was mentioning digging out a basement, but ya......

Up North the perfect secure room is a basement, you don't even have to worry about walls, just the roof. To bad it isn't an option down here. Dig hole, pour a regular concrete foundation wall, add roof/floor for the room above and block the door with a vault door. Its as safe as it gets for storms, and if you hide the door/entrance its the ideal place to keep a valuable collection.... Or skip the vault door and just have a hidden door and your just as safe if nobody knows its there. A real shame you don't really have the option here....

As for a suggestion you could use. Concrete block with rebar, lots of rebar. Install actual shelter grade vents and fans and you would be set for a long time.

Good point, where is this thing being built?

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    I rely on layers of security rather then better then bank vault walls. Fences, maybe dogs, locks, construction, etc. and my eggs are not all in one basket. Crooks are naturally lazy. I would consider the placement of the room within your metal building. If I were paranoid enough to worry about breaching crews, not having the secure room against an exterior wall of the metal building may make it a little harder to get to. Surprised no one has suggested moats, razor wire and guard towers! Oh wait those are on my to do list.

Top Bottom