security cameras

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    Interesting.

Do you think you would have to re-install any software when you upgraded the Hard drive? If not I wonder where they store the software for the DVR? Maybe on a flash memory built in or something?

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There is no software, it's firmware in a ROM. The hard drive is only for storage. You swap it and goto the settings menu and find the format or re-initiate drive setting.

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    SA - WEET! Ok well then just take out and install the 3 TB! I can handle that for sure! Thanks W1nd! Best damn news I have heard since this morning!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Oh, not to pop your bubble or anything, but there is a possibility there is a linit on the size drive it will recognize. One would hope there were far looking enough that that limit is somewhere beyond 3TB but you never can tell when you're dealing with cheapish Chinese electronics :p

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    Sadly that is Too true. Why they would put a cap on something like that is beyond me... Well actually I suppose that is how they come out with something that has that storage capability and forces you to come back for the up sale.

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    You might be in for a surprise dark when I ordered mine it said 500gb but it came with a 2 tb you have a newer model than I do but best wishes

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The cap will have to do with what the operation system can and can not handle and being that they are usually based on Linux there ma be no cap that you would have to worry about.

philup

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    denhamsprings
    southern electronics in baton rouge will sell you everything you need its off plank rd not a good area but good place the only thing they wont sell is a alarm control panel .. I am a service tech for tyco intergrated security used to be adt commercial.. I am there special system tech so ive worked on any type of system you can think of.. word of advise don't do wireless use either bnc or ip cameras .. I have 5 cameras on a 8 ch dvr with a one tb hard drive one camera is a ptz made by pelco it runs 3500$ :}... I love that camera .. the other four are American dynamics cameras with infrared lighting in pitch black I will see you !!

philup

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    denhamsprings
    Yeah tell William or Dewy that Will sent you :p Their stuff is extreme quality and pretty pricey though.

I bought a 4 channel dvr there a couple years ago with 500gb hd for 400 an some change didn't think that was to bad .... but I also deal with dvr's that are 10k! lol

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    So just a quick update. This last weekend was a NO-GO on setting up the camera system as it was Mother's Day weekend... I was vetoed on working around the house and we went to the beach instead. So this weekend I will most definitely be setting up the Camera system I got last week.

I did get to pull everything out of the boxes and give it a good once over. Everything looks to be in good order. @ W1nd not sure if you already purchased the DVR replacement but the SWANN you are looking at is the same model as the one I have. I am installing this weekend and if you havent purchased your replacement by then I will be happy to share my opinions on it.

I will also be documenting the installation process and sharing some photos and lessons learned for anyone else that is interested once I have the system all set up.

I think the only challenging parts will be getting the cameras where I want them as I only have a six foot ladder. Maybe I can talk the wife into letting me purchase and extension ladder finally!

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    Well now its like waiting for Christmas morning! Thanks Andim!

Andim,

I forgot to mention. Sadly the DVR came with the 500 gig. So no early Christmas. But I am going to play around with it for a little while (maybe a month or two) and then will think about upgrading the HDD if its needed. Right now I am only planning on using 3-4 of the channels. So not sure if I will need it to be bigger yet or not. Thanks again for all your help!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    @ W1nd not sure if you already purchased the DVR replacement but the SWANN you are looking at is the same model as the one I have. I am installing this weekend and if you havent purchased your replacement by then I will be happy to share my opinions on it.

I'm interested to know how the "My DVR" set up thing works. I didn't see it as worth over $100 more between it and the Q-See. The specs between the two are the sames. I do like the blue lights though LOL

Maybe I can talk the wife into letting me purchase and extension ladder finally!

Get the little giant, it does both... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Gi...e-IA-Model-4-6-Adjustable-Stepladder/21804500

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    Was interested in getting some ideas as where to start on a surveillance system for outside of my home.

Tried searching the forum but I came up dry any help would be great.

So Hattrick did you ever find a CCTV system? I haven't seen much on here in regards to your original post. Any updates on your research?

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    I'm interested to know how the "My DVR" set up thing works. I didn't see it as worth over $100 more between it and the Q-See. The specs between the two are the sames. I do like the blue lights though LOL

Get the little giant, it does both... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Gi...e-IA-Model-4-6-Adjustable-Stepladder/21804500

So the installation of the cameras went really well. Tonight when I get home I will post some photos as well as my larger lessons learned portion as I promised. But wanted to let W1nd know that I didnt see the "My DVR" thing as a major benefit unless you have PTZ cameras. It is essentially a program that you can install on to your computer that gives you full control of the DVR system without having to interact with the DVR itself. So if you wanted to hide the DVR or put it in a lock box of sorts you would never have to interface with the DVR again unless you were going to change out the HDD. So I guess that is a pretty cool option. But I dont know if it is worth the 100 extra bucks. I can say I am very happy with my camera set up and DVR choice.

This DVR also has an alert system which I havent gotten into too much yet as I still have to run my LAN line for the DVR to be online and accessible by phone or internet. But essentially you can have all sorts of different alarms set up with in the camera system. So lets say you have your camera set to motion activation for recording. If Motion is detected you can set up and alarm for the system to send you an email or text notifying you that there is motion on the camera. I thought that was pretty cool. The only thing is that the motion is very sensitive out of the box (However, it is adjustable) and if a spider or bird come through the vision of the camera you will get motion. It even started recording after the spider in question left a web across the field of view of the camera and recorded something like 45 mins of a strand of web blowing in the background. I will be playing around with the sensitivity settings needless to say. You can also set the motion sensors sensitivity levels by time. So if there are certain times of day/night that you want the cameras to be more sensitive than others you can do that.

Anyways, I will write up a longer review and show the pics of my install tonight. These things are very easy and I dont think anyone should pay for something this basic to be installed. If anyone needs help I would be happy to. Just tell me when and where. Thanks for all the tips and links through this process, as I probably would have spent way more money and wasted a lot more time if I hadnt been linked up with such helpful folks like yourselves.

TAS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Wife and I are currently in the security camera market ourselves. Glad I found this thread, it'll save me A LOT of time trying to figure out what to get.

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    How's everything after a few days bud? You tuned down the sensitivity or you still recording spiders and termites lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom