See; I Told You So! Always Grab That Gun!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If any of you have been here long enough, you may remember a thread that discussed how frequently or infrequently some people (permitted to CC), actually carry their weapons. In my contribution to that discussion I declared that my pistol is always at the ready in my truck, and I NEVER get out of the truck without grabbing that pistol. Not even if I am just pumping gas.

Let this news article be a lesson to those of you that are lazy, forgetful, ambivalent, unworried, or are convinced whatever you are doing will only take a moment.

Now that the details of this have come to light: http://www.wafb.com/story/35025980/attempted-murder-charge-added-to-beggar-accused-of-stabbing-man

I have been asked for money on several occasions at gas stations, by individuals that just happened to appear out of nowhere. I have been asked for money when my family and I were parking to go eat. I have been asked for money while walking into stores. Whether they were true beggars/bums or testing the waters to see how prepared I was or not, I was prepared mentally and physically to deal with the situation regardless. But the lesson to be learned, is; don't sit on your gun when you are driving, and do not leave that gun in your vehicle when exiting! Not for anything! No matter how short the duration!

This victim is lucky to be alive!

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    This is a coincidence that you posted this. Just a few minutes ago I was parked in a parking lot eating lunch when a woman (crackhead) walked up out of nowhere and knocked on my window. She asked for money which I didn't have any cash on me so I told her no. She got angry with me so I rolled up the window and drove off.

As I left I kept thinking what if she pulled a knife on me? Do I have it in me to shoot a woman? I didn't even think about being ready to draw because it was just a woman, but she could have been just as dangerous as a man. In my head I didn't even consider her a threat until after I left.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    This is a coincidence that you posted this. Just a few minutes ago I was parked in a parking lot eating lunch when a woman (crackhead) walked up out of nowhere and knocked on my window. She asked for money which I didn't have any cash on me so I told her no. She got angry with me so I rolled up the window and drove off.

As I left I kept thinking what if she pulled a knife on me? Do I have it in me to shoot a woman? I didn't even think about being ready to draw because it was just a woman, but she could have been just as dangerous as a man. In my head I didn't even consider her a threat until after I left.

60 year old white woman committed an armed robbery (pistol) of a convenience store in Hammond @0500, like two days ago. I'd be willing to bet she's a druggie, looking for cash for her next high. Today, everyone is a threat until proven otherwise.

http://www.actionnews17.com/news/60-year-old-woman-arrested-in-ponchatoula-for-hammond-robbery-2068565

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    If any of you have been here long enough, you may remember a thread that discussed how frequently or infrequently some people (permitted to CC), actually carry their weapons. In my contribution to that discussion I declared that my pistol is always at the ready in my truck, and I NEVER get out of the truck without grabbing that pistol. Not even if I am just pumping gas.

Let this news article be a lesson to those of you that are lazy, forgetful, ambivalent, unworried, or are convinced whatever you are doing will only take a moment.

Now that the details of this have come to light: http://www.wafb.com/story/35025980/attempted-murder-charge-added-to-beggar-accused-of-stabbing-man

I have been asked for money on several occasions at gas stations, by individuals that just happened to appear out of nowhere. I have been asked for money when my family and I were parking to go eat. I have been asked for money while walking into stores. Whether they were true beggars/bums or testing the waters to see how prepared I was or not, I was prepared mentally and physically to deal with the situation regardless. But the lesson to be learned, is; don't sit on your gun when you are driving, and do not leave that gun in your vehicle when exiting! Not for anything! No matter how short the duration!

This victim is lucky to be alive!
    Well if you read my story from Wed. before last, and this one, I hope it brings awareness to those of us who get complacent in our CC. Lesson I learn could have cost me my life. Now I'm better prepared and will never be without a loaded gun on my side even when I go to put out the garbage. Think about what you should carry, is it reliable, make sure you have a light/laser/optic if you traveling after dark.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Emp, I have to agree with you....I'm a firm believer in the saying: "The secret to success is successful planning."

"Failing to plan is planning to fail."

I do not get out of my car in a public area without a gun. The only exception is if I am on a school's campus or at a post office. Other than that, if I'm getting out, I have a pistol. Preparedness is key. I certainly am not looking for a fight, but having a force-multiplier, such as a firearm, allows one to choose whether to be a victim or not if put into a demanding situation.

As for people coming up to my window, I do not roll the window down for strangers. I also don't typically ride with my windows down...and my doors are certainly never unlocked (they lock whenever I put the car in drive).

I've had beggers come up to me numerous times in parking lots or in gas stations. In cases like that, I have absolutely no qualm sticking my hand under my shirt and holding my pistol...as I am telling them no and to please leave (firmly). If people ask me for cash, the answer is always "No" and if they hover, "back up." Usually they get the hint.

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA

Or worse, she could have been a lure sent to distract you while others moved in around you to spring the trap. This happens more than we know and all too often goes unreported in the media.

You did the right thing by getting the heck out of there fast.

Years ago, a wise instructor taught me that when approached, all that I should say to them is "Sorry, but I can't help you." and then walk away as fast as I can to safety, ignoring any further attempts at conversation or distraction. Doesn't matter what they ask you, the reply seems to cover it nicely.

Glad everything worked out for you ...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

And there's a question.... what if its a 10 year old kid? could you shoot a kid? That knife will still cut you. You need to learn (and practice) some knife disarms and blocks. That'll at least give you time to draw, or maybe some stupid kid time to surrender before he gets shot. And it might save you if you can't get to a weapon.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've developed a habit of keeping one of my guns on the center console, as an armrest, if I'm stopped somewhere. Not super noticeable to John Q. Public unless I move my arm and fairly comfortable to boot. I've had the homeless ghosts do the silent sneak up to my window before.

The ones on bicycles at night are the ones that worry me the most. Fast, silent, good at showing up unexpectedly.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Years ago, a wise instructor taught me that when approached, all that I should say to them is "Sorry, but I can't help you." and then walk away as fast as I can to safety, ignoring any further attempts at conversation or distraction. Doesn't matter what they ask you, the reply seems to cover it nicely.

That's exactly what I say and keep moving, usually before they finish asking.
    I have seen them waiting a number of times as I'm pulling in to park. Approaching you is a probe to see how close they can get before you notice and or respond, how you respond and whether or not you appear willing to defend your space.

Carrying and situational awareness. If you don't already see someone approaching before they get there, you aren't aware if your surroundings. Whether on foot or in your vehicle, be alert. Especially in transitional areas that could present a hide/ambush point. Try to avoid such areas. Scan the area before you park. And if the scene looks wrong, don't get out. Move the car to a better spot first. Convenience should never override safety.

Another huge thing to remember, when you see a person at a distance watching you, flanking you, following you, approaching you, etc, MAKE EYE CONTACT. I like to stop in my tracks for a second, stare them down and take a look around. Their actions will tell you their intent after that. If they are any distance from you when you let them know you're on to them, many times they divert.
    We all have the sense of knowing when someone is up to no good. Listen to it. Muggers etc prey on the weak and unaware first. Try to change their mind before they commit. Has anyone ever been surprised by how far a perp will take things once they've committed? Even in the face of an armed victim, many times things don't just end there.
    Time of day and part of town do make a huge difference in potential danger of making contact, but don't assume it can't happen just because it's daylight and there are people around.

And as to the OP, absolutely make the most of your permit. Why bother going through the motions if you aren't going to keep your arm attached to your person? If there's ever a situation that makes it uncomfortable to carry, carry something else.

Emperor, good thread

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom