self defense shooting/missing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I'm in security licensed to carry a .38. I have spoken about self defense in the home here on another post.

Never ever can you use lethal force to defend property of any kind.

You will need an attorney sooner or later. An innocent person did get shot and hopefully not very badly. He/she has a legal right to receive compensation for being shot. Think about it. If it was you that got shot, wouldn't you want to be compensated?

Thanks. I know a little bit about that thin line. (came up in class a few times)
    I plan to have a reliable attorney on standby once I myself get established in the legal community.

Oh and, coming from a family of nurses, I respect your occupation.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    If things were right and fair, it would be the BG causing the waves, so he should be held responsible for any collateral damage.

That should be the case, but if I truely feel that my life or my family is in danger it is my instinct to eliminate the hazard.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Poor interpretation of what law? I was thinking of possible civil penalties. Please post a link to the statute you think i was interpreting.

Not on your part. I mean that our laws get perverted in way that often seems to favor the criminal and punish the person rightfully defending himself.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You fire it, you own it. Simple as that.

Hell, these days, expect to be sued by the person who was the agressor, if they live.

And on a related note, what do you throw a drowning lawyer?

Answer: His partner. Da dum dump. :)

Seriously, most reputable training, and I am not referring to CCW license requirements, will deal with this issue to some degree. Get some is a great idea.

It will open your eyes to many things you may have not previously considered, for example, if you would use a weapon to defend someone else rather than yourself (answer: think LONG and HARD before hand) even though such an action may be legal in your state.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Can surviving family of the attacker bring a wrongful death suit?
    In Louisiana, if your shooting is ruled a justifiable homicide, than no.
    Some other states have similar laws in place that protect the victum from lawsuits.
    Some do not.

:)

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    In Louisiana, if your shooting is ruled a justifiable homicide, than no.
    Some other states have similar laws in place that protect the victum from lawsuits.
    Some do not.

:)

How can the case be ruled a justifiable homicide if it isnt brought in front of a judge. Does anybody know what the process is for official exoneration following a clear case of self defense shooting?
    The only limit on the possibility of ending up in court i can think of is that a lawyer can be sanctioned for bringing a suit with no merit (for civil suits).

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Any such suit has merit. By statute however,, you are exempted from liability, not lawsuits. Be prepared to defend yourself through summary judgment, at which time the suit should be dismissed.

Top Bottom