Selling a pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    I know that we are able to sell directly to Louisiana residents, but what would we have to go through to sell to a resident of a neighboring state? This resident's wife is a Louisiana resident.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I know that we are able to sell directly to Louisiana residents, but what would we have to go through to sell to a resident of a neighboring state? This resident's wife is a Louisiana resident.

A Louisiana resident could sell a handgun to the other Louisiana resident, the wife. However, the wife, as a Louisiana resident, could not legally transfer the handgun to her husband, if he is a resident of a different state.

I am curious though, as to how husband and wife are residents of two different states? This would indeed be rare.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    A Louisiana resident could sell a handgun to the other Louisiana resident, the wife. However, the wife, as a Louisiana resident, could not legally transfer the handgun to her husband, if he is a resident of a different state.

I am curious though, as to how husband and wife are residents of two different states? This would indeed be rare.[/QUOTE]

Happily married??? :)

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010

I am curious though, as to how husband and wife are residents of two different states? This would indeed be rare.

My wife and I are legal residents of two different states. We are both deaf. We both have children of our own. THAT is the reason we do not yet want to leave our native state.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    ---removed---

EDIT:

Hold on. I tried finding the bit about this on atf.gov but cannot find it. I might be mistaken.

Yea, sorry, I can't back up my original claim. I don't think it is possible for unlicensed persons to transfer a handgun to a resident of another state, even if married, even if it's your offspring.

Or at least, I can't find anything to back it up. I thought for sure you could gift to family though.

Last edited:

petelanca

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Grand Lake 70607
    The ATF's expectation is pretty simple to comply with. I would rather dot the I and cross the T on the deal than having to acquire legal representation out of state. The 4173 he processes will give you finalization. Possibly offer to split the fee with the buyer.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    ---removed---

EDIT:

Hold on. I tried finding the bit about this on atf.gov but cannot find it. I might be mistaken.

Yea, sorry, I can't back up my original claim. I don't think it is possible for unlicensed persons to transfer a handgun to a resident of another state, even if married, even if it's your offspring.

Or at least, I can't find anything to back it up. I thought for sure you could gift to family though.

There is an exception for inherited guns, but not for just a regular gift or donation. There is also an exception for a "loan" of a weapon for sporting purposes.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

Joking aside :D , residency is different from domicile, and individuals can maintain multiple state residencies even though they may have only one true domicile. Used to be wives were automatically presumed to have the domicile of their husbands, but that has since changed and spouses can claim separate domiciles. Where handgun transfers come into that I do not know :)

*IANAL*

Last edited:

tbeubs17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    NW LA
    Military members may be residents of another state for tax purposes and marry person in the area they are stationed. That person would be a local resident. When I got stationed here yrs ago my wife became LA resident while I was still a FL resident.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Military members may be residents of another state for tax purposes and marry person in the area they are stationed. That person would be a local resident. When I got stationed here yrs ago my wife became LA resident while I was still a FL resident.

You may be a resident of more than one state, but for ATF purposes, you may only by a firearm where you are residing. If you have a home in two states, in you legally buy in either state, while you are actually residing in that state. ATF is very clear about this.

So if you were a FL resident, but stationed in LA, you could be a resident of LA and buy a handgun here, but you could not legally buy a handgun from a FL resident while you were living in LA.

Wouldn't I be able to legally sell to his wife?

You can legally sell to the wife if the wife is a LA resident as you are. You cannot legally sell to the wife if she is currently living in another state, even if she has a LA drivers license, house, or anything else.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Joking aside :D , residency is different from domicile, and individuals can maintain multiple state residencies even though they may have only one true domicile. Used to be wives were automatically presumed to have the domicile of their husbands, but that has since changed and spouses can claim separate domiciles. Where handgun transfers come into that I do not know :)

Residency is different than domicile, and that is why I said it would be rare for husband and wife to have different residencies. They are each residents of where they are living, so they would not have different residencies unless they were not living together.

A driver's license, real estate ownership, etc., does not necessarily make a legal residence. BATF recognizes that individuals may have multiple residences, but they may only buy a handgun in the state in which they are actually currently living.

DPangle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Morgan City, La
    Confusion

I've read the La. statute and the ATF regs. Just wondering, if a person living in Louisiana buys a gun here then moves to say, Georgia. Once he achieves residency there can he sell a personal weapon to a neighbor in Georgia as a personal sale without going through a FFL? Just curious as I have a son from here now living in NC with a weapon he bought here 3 years ago.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've read the La. statute and the ATF regs. Just wondering, if a person living in Louisiana buys a gun here then moves to say, Georgia. Once he achieves residency there can he sell a personal weapon to a neighbor in Georgia as a personal sale without going through a FFL? Just curious as I have a son from here now living in NC with a weapon he bought here 3 years ago.

Sorry I just saw this--yes, once you are a Georgia resident, you can sell to other Georgia residents without going through an FFL. It doesn't matter where you lived at the time of acquisition--the gun is not 'registered' anywhere. It is your status that matters.

Top Bottom