Selling firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    So I have several builds I want to complete. Being how much this cost I will sell the builds I that aren't my favorites. I am not looking to start a business and only looking to sell 3 or 4 in a month at most. What determines if I need an FFL? I am looking here before asking ATF in case someone has been through a similar situation.

Jorfontenot08

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    lafayette
    supporting a hobby is not defined by the ATF as needing an FFL or business front to acquire an FFL. if you are selling a few guns because you dont want them anymore and they financially support your hobby or interest of building more firearms then you are ok.

EDIT: im sorry, i meant to say they cant financially support your living. they cant be a means of income. hope that clears it up

Last edited:

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I read a thread where there were some issues on BS about people grabbing the attention of government for transactions they were involved in. Don't want it to look like I am building just to sell, I building to find my perfect rifle, only way to find that is try them all

Jorfontenot08

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    lafayette
    which technically is just supporting a hobby. ive had a friend who has sold plenty of guns, just to buy others. some he keeps, most he doesnt. but in the scheme of it all your a small blip on their radar as far as selling a few guns. just be sure to create some bills of sales for a back up and you could even get them notarized to make it even more legit.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Sounds like a bad idea to me. You're stepping into all kinds of grey area. And grey area is not a place you want to be with the BATFE.

Like Jack said, don't rely on internet answers. Go straight to the source, write a letter to the BATFE and express what you'd like to do. They'll tell you the deal.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The ATF is very good at figuring out people who making a business out of selling guns in the manner you describe. You can't really ******** them. Your post says you plan to sell 3-4 every month that aren't your favorites. That's almost 50 guns a year. That's a lot. All it takes is for one of them to be used illegally before the ATF starts knocking on your door asking questions.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    Don't forget about the IRS ... they are going to want their piece of the pie as well. Technically you are supposed to report any income, even the $5 bill you found laying on the ground next to your car. Just saying ...

Top Bottom