Selling Gun is FFL needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • electronicwiz

Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Brusly
    I am selling a gun to a friend. I bought the gun about 5 years ago from a dealer in Baton Rouge. My friend lives in Baton Rouge. What are the appropriate steps I should take to sell this gun?

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    quas is close, but kinda wrong.

As long as you have NO reason to suspect him of not being allowed to own. You know he is old enough, you have not heard of him being a felon, was not told he was a felon or otherwise incapable of owning, you dont think he is crazy, etc etc.

The only way to KNOW, would be to do a Background check....which would probably involve an FFL....

So, you don't need to know, you just can't have any reason to think otherwise.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    quas is close, but kinda wrong.

As long as you have NO reason to suspect him of not being allowed to own. You know he is old enough, you have not heard of him being a felon, was not told he was a felon or otherwise incapable of owning, you dont think he is crazy, etc etc.

The only way to KNOW, would be to do a Background check....which would probably involve an FFL....

So, you don't need to know, you just can't have any reason to think otherwise.

Plus 1

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    and to more accurately answer the original question....

if as far as you know he can legally have a gun he needs to hand you money and you hand him gun - Bill Of Sale is NOT a requirement, although some people like to have it just for a record.

Doug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Lake Charles, LA
    Bill of sale is a good idea in case the gun ends up being involved in a crime and is traced back to you as the purchaser from the dealer. Could save you a lot of trouble.

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    He has to be 18 though. Ignorance isn't a defense in that case. However, as for felon, mentally ill, ect. You just need to not have any reason to beleive otherwise

Rainman

Justified!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Near I-55 & I-12
    You can either make up your own Bill Of Sale or print one from the internet, or modify one from off the internet. Buyers Date Of Birth is good to have on the BOS.

Top Bottom