Selling to someone with no LA DL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I have somebody looking to purchase a firearm from me that just recently moved to LA. They have a home here but have not filed/changed their DL information yet. Is this a problem and what is the correct way to resolve this? Thanks.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I was under the impression that I could only sell to LA folks without a FFL. May be completely wrong tho. May just be mistaking the cross state lines thing.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    An unlicenced person has 2 rules to follow when dealing with firearms sales. One is the age requirements of 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns. The other requirement is the residency rule. If u don't follow the rules u may find yourself in a sting operation like I did. Fortunately for me I obeyed the rules and didn't have to pay the consequences.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    An unlicenced person has 2 rules to follow when dealing with firearms sales. One is the age requirements of 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns. The other requirement is the residency rule. If u don't follow the rules u may find yourself in a sting operation like I did. Fortunately for me I obeyed the rules and didn't have to pay the consequences.

So you ID every person you sell a gun to or just ask them those 2 questions?

I will add that I no longer buy or sell guns from anywhere but FFLs just looking to learn something new.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Ask to see some kind of documentation that proves the person is a resident of LA. Utility bill, phone bill, etc.

This should be fine to my understanding. They just need to be a resident and if they're showing you they're paying utilities here... Was fine for an FFL when I bought a handgun after changing states anyway

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    The thing that threw a flag was he still has an out of state number so it wasn't obvious that he was a LA resident, that's why I asked if he had a DL. It would be really hard for me to prove his residency if I was asked and the out of state number would have looked questionable on my part. Regardless, guy was super cool about it and is getting his LA DL Monday and we will do the purchase then. All is well now, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom