Sgt. Rory Miller : Introduction to Violence Seminar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    For those of you that have read Meditations on Violence, or any of Rory Miller's books, you know that this man is a wealth of information as it relates to violent encounters.

Rory will be lecturing in New Orleans on his experiences and opinions on violent attacks November 10 and 11.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHovZEjmSKI

75ungy1cxl2bvki2qtpk.jpg

Last edited:

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Here it is folks! Event Flyer attached.

Additional info and tickets can be found at www.chirontraining.com

I would suggest getting tickets online, we already have people coming from as far as Florida for this.

Ambushes&Thugs.jpg

Last edited:

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    After having a naked 250lb psych patient wielding a stainless steel trashcan chase me across the ER the other day i think ill order his book "talking them through" :rofl:

Pretty good so far...

Please let me know how that one turns out. I have suggested that book to a close friend who is a Psych RN. We have the Conflict Communications lecture Saturday morning NOV 10th and that covers a lot of the knowledge from that book (talking them down, talking them through, when there is enough talking...and time to take em down!)

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Please let me know how that one turns out. I have suggested that book to a close friend who is a Psych RN. We have the Conflict Communications lecture Saturday morning NOV 10th and that covers a lot of the knowledge from that book (talking them down, talking them through, when there is enough talking...and time to take em down!)

Finished it last night! Couldn't put it down. He covered a lot of the stuff that I was briefed on before doing a rotation at Jackson east. Mr Smiley(iirc?) taught us a lot of that stuff. A good RN/MD/First responder shouldn't allow it to get physical in the first place. If it gets to the physical aspect then 99% of the time that means you failed to intervene soon enough. He covered that in the book too.Only took an hour to read, worth the 6 bux on amazon imho.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    For those planning on attending the 2 day "hands on" seminar.....there are still some spots left (12-15 last checked), but I suggest purchasing tickets in advance on the website. LEO/MIL contact me prior to purchasing.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Good review of the seminar we will have here in November:

Taken from www.functionalselfdefense.org

Rory Miller Violence Seminar Review
    This past weekend I attended a seminar by Rory Miller (website and blog) covering violence dynamics, the context of violence, conflict communications, and the logic of violence. It was hands down the best seminar or course I’ve ever attended, and I’d highly recommend anyone and everyone do the same. I’ve recommended his books before. The seminar was even better.

The school hosting Rory requested the seminar be all lecture and no techniques. It was 16 hours of lecture. Even without any techniques, especially without techniques, it was outstanding. I’ve been to a large number of seminars over the last 20 years, both by very well known teachers everyone knows, and those lesser known. In almost all cases I was left picking bits and pieces of useful stuff out of days worth of material. Normally I feel 16 hours could be condensed down to 1 or 2. Not the case here. Every hour of the 16 hours was extremely interesting, but most of all useful.

There were countless “take-aways”, and it will take a couple more days to internalize it and see exactly how it fits in and adds to what I’m currently doing. But one of the biggest for me was a simple way to look at and describe certain types of violence: a fighter vs. a fighter is nothing like a hunter vs. prey. Most martial artists, and sadly even most self defense instruction I’ve seen, addresses violence from a fighter vs. fighter perspective. This type of violence is almost always avoidable and is not self defense. The hunter vs. prey dynamic is entirely different. There is no “fight” there. While I’ve understood that for many years, the seminar helped crystalize that, to simplify it further.

The great thing about this material for martial artists and those practicing self defense, is that it doesn’t make your material useless by any means, unless it was already so. Having a functional base of skills, effective techniques and training methods…it’s all important and it all matters. Getting a better understanding as to why violence happens, where it happens, who it happens to (including behaviors you can change), and how it happens, will give you better context and better direction. If you’re teaching and training stuff that’s not realistic, Rory’s material will make that clear and obvious. It will show you not only what you need to change, but why and how. If what you’re doing is functional, Rory’s material will give you a new way to see it and ensure that you apply it when you should and not when you shouldn’t.

For those that don’t practice martial arts or physical self defense, the material is also invaluable. By understanding the why, where, who, and how of violence, your ability to prevent it will shoot up to near 100%.

Highly, highly recommended.

FSD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Various
    Hey guys,

I wrote the review above that SR-NOLA pasted in. As I mentioned in the review, the seminar I attended (in Slovenia) was all lecture. However, it was outstanding nevertheless.

Although I no longer live in N.O., I was born and spent most of my life there...owned a house and self defense school in the Bywater/9th Ward until 2007. Coincidentally, I'm going to be in N.O. for this seminar and will be attending. So I look forward to meeting you guys then.

David

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just want to say that this seminar was incredible. Unfortunately, I could only attend one day, but it was packed. We started at 9am and didn't finish 'til 8:45pm.

I'll type up my recollections this evening.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Just want to say that this seminar was incredible. Unfortunately, I could only attend one day, but it was packed. We started at 9am and didn't finish 'til 8:45pm.

I'll type up my recollections this evening.

Please post an AAR when you get a chance, I am planning on writing one this weekend.

Thanks to all of the guys and gal, that came out......it was the best hand to hand training seminar I have been to (instruction and participants).

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I was otherwise engaged, but this lecture sounds like it was very good. I have always been "upset" by self defense, whether it be with a firearm or my hands or a mechanical weapon like a knife. You can't just got shooting/stabbing/punching everyone who looks at you wrong, but at the same time, you can't let people close distance with you, etc. when they mean harm. I guess what I mean is, the best martial artist who is the fastest, most accurate shooter is dead in the water if you attack them from behind and they are otherwise engaged. It always upset me to know that no-matter what talent I had in defense, it was worthless without detection capabilities. Obviously I always listen to my gut, but I want a smarter gut. I look forward to the AAR!

Top Bottom