Share your water purification set-up.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onebigbagostupi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    So i searched around a bit and did not find any thread dedicated to water purification. Lets talk about water sterilization!

I will start out the thread with this little gadget I got this week.

IMG_20110302_180057.jpg

It is a sterilization tool that utilizes UV rays to splice pathogens killing them and not allowing them to reproduce, it is pretty handy considering the nasty tasting tabs that either take time to work or only give you a short window when the water is potable, in terms of pathogens/germs.

I think this will come in handy when boil orders are in affect, I think some of us can testify that boiling water in a house with no AC leads you to say things like "its' like a sauna in here"

Here is a link to the company's website.

http://www.steripen.com/

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I use several layers,

for bulk, I have pool shock
    for on the run I have several portable straws that filter..
    for family or group setting I have camelbak inline filters and a hand pump and barrel
    and for a larger freakin group I have a servicable pump that has a ceramic filter that ya just scrape off to make usable again if thiings are too bad..

all filter beyond better than 2 microns and I have used them to test them.. but I also have instructions for others if I am out of the picture..

I carry a straw filter in every vehicle, then one in every bugout bag , plus the larger filters in my big bugout..

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Baton Rouge Water Co.....outdoor gas stove/generator/charcoal boil if shtf, but it would have to hit hard to stop BRWC. It would mean citywide decimation. On the run...I'd have to make some decisions.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    remember all it takes in the water in the pipe to drop to less than 5lbs before **** starts needing to be boiled.. I would not trust ANYONE to keep water on if things last longer than 2 weeks..

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    MSR filter, plus potable aqua+ tablets.

I've used the general ecology filters before without treating with iodine. They work fine (and we drank from some nasty black swamps!) without problems. They clog though and there's no way to backflush. Its a sealed canister, so you have to toss it. They're a bit heavy too.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    2 microns sounds great. Its not. It takes care of protozoa but that's it. Bacteria average about a half micron. Virii are hundreths of a micron. A carbon filter is nice to neutralize many chemicals and pesticides.
    I treat with either iodine (potable aqua) or chlorine. THEN I use a filter that gets down to about a micron.
    I've done just the iodine before but I don't like drinking leaf bits, even with gatoraide to hide the taste.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

One other tip. Wrap a coffee filter (or t-shirt) around the tip of your water intake. It will filter out the bigger particles and keep your filter from clogging so quickly.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    your right. I couldnt remember if it was 2 or .2 the miniworks is .2

I always try to pre treat with poolshock and use the carbon to take out the taste..

ammac

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie

That's a cool setup. I didn't look at all the links, but do you have complete setup and instal directions? I've been considering a rain catch water purification system.

One question, how many microns does this system filter? As referenced earlier, I currently have a Katadyn "base camp" filter that has a .3 micron filter rating. I've got tablets to do the rest. Anyway, rain catch seems to be the most logical SHTF system, until BIG BROTHER deems it illegal!

Top Bottom