Shed Foundation?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I'm planning on building a little 8x12 shed behind my car port to have some indoor work space, store my tools, and other guy stuff...RC trucks, stuff for my Camaro and pickup, etc. With my girlfriend moving in, I'm going to need to have a central location for MY stuff as the house will be quickly overrrun :eek3:

Anywho, the location I picked is relatively dry in the rain, at least compared to the rest of the yard. It doesn't hold water and is pretty level. The floor is going to be framed out of 2x6 and covered in T&G 3/4 ply. I was looking at putting 4x4 runners under the whole thing and setting it on solid concrete blocks. Would this be suitable? How many runners would be ideal?

Thanks. Any other tips would be great. I'm going off a nice set of plans and directions I found online. I have an adjustable miter saw, circular saw, drills, impacts, etc that I've been given or bought over time. I'm no carpenter but I can measure, cut, and nail/screw :)

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    my father in law just recently built a shed in his backyard. He dug up the yard, framed it out, and poured cement and put metal posts in the corners (I guess so one the shed was built on top it couldn't shift off the foundation. But it looks solid to me and he has a small ramp to push his lawn equipment up.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    my father in law just recently built a shed in his backyard. He dug up the yard, framed it out, and poured cement and put metal posts in the corners (I guess so one the shed was built on top it couldn't shift off the foundation. But it looks solid to me and he has a small ramp to push his lawn equipment up.

I briefly considered concrete but I would like to make it a non permanent structure that I could take with me when I relocate, whenever that may be.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you are in a flood zone then there are some coverage advantages to building on a concrete or permanent foundation. Talk to your favorite insurance agent for the coverage details before you start construction.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    If you are in a flood zone then there are some coverage advantages to building on a concrete or permanent foundation. Talk to your favorite insurance agent for the coverage details before you start construction.

No flood zone in our area, but good info to know. Thanks.

I may also walk up and down the street and see what some other folks have. 14 houses on this street and everything from pre-built steel sheds on runners and blocks to two story steel building on concrete foundations. There is quite a variety.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I built a 12x12 last year. Built floor frame with 2x6. I put a runner down the middle, and every 16" the other way. After floor frame was built, I put 9sets of cinder blocks (a set in center) Just yesterday I was making a material list to add 6' to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    If you think you might want extra space down the road go bigger. My 16x12 filled up FAST

Haha, I bet! The size was mostly chose based on what junk I have now, and what I've had in the past. My junk pile hasn't seemed to grow any, and I am trying to bank on the idea that if I limit the space I have, I'll limit the junk I hold onto. Budget came into play as well. I think this should work out nicely though. Thanks!

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I built a 12x12 last year. Built floor frame with 2x6. I put a runner down the middle, and every 16" the other way. After floor frame was built, I put 9sets of cinder blocks (a set in center) Just yesterday I was making a material list to add 6' to it...

I sat outside for a little bit and did a little brain storming. I'm considering three or four runners with up to 6 blocks under each one. I won't be storing any heavy equipment inside (riding mowers, etc).

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I built a 12x20 in 2003. I used 6x6 as the foundation and its still in place. Leveling the space under the 6x6 is a pain. You should use 4" gravel, 4" of sand, and a compactor. You could get away with a 10 lb tamper if you're willing to spend some time. Don't plant near an invasive tree such as an oak or Cyprus as they'll just tear up the foundation over time. Good luck.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Haha, I bet! The size was mostly chose based on what junk I have now, and what I've had in the past. My junk pile hasn't seemed to grow any, and I am trying to bank on the idea that if I limit the space I have, I'll limit the junk I hold onto. Budget came into play as well. I think this should work out nicely though. Thanks!

You'll just find a way to get more junk in there :rofl:

If you're limited on budget, maybe a steel structure is the way to go.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    You might want to get a price on a prebuilt portable building before you build it yourself. It can be cheaper to buy than build. 'Quality Building' makes a nice building and affordable. They will deliver and level it for you.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I built a skid out of lightweight I-Beams then framed the floor out of 2"x12" and decked with 3/4" tongue and groove plywood. I bought one of those 12'x20' Carolina Carports that everyone and their cousins sell, and put it on top of the skid. It is an absolute solid floor and movable with a tractor or tuck in case I ever decide I don't want it where it currently is.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    You'll just find a way to get more junk in there :rofl:

If you're limited on budget, maybe a steel structure is the way to go.

Could be! I'm not against steel, but I don't like its limited workability. This is going to end up being sort of small work room as well. Eventually I plan to tie it to the house and run a small 5,000 BTU ac inside for when I'm working on small items at the table. That will probably be next summer some time.

You might want to get a price on a prebuilt portable building before you build it yourself. It can be cheaper to buy than build. 'Quality Building' makes a nice building and affordable. They will deliver and level it for you.

I haven't looked at a lot of other places yet, but I know the Tuff Sheds at Home Depot were $1900+ tax without paint. ($2100+ with). I priced the exact same sized building at $800 worth of materials using some plans online. They want $150ea per window to add windows, and for the hell of it I bought three windows today for $10 each, standard slide open style with a screen, two 23x35 and one 35x35 from the flea market. Great shape.

That being said, I'm not against buying something from somewhere if I find the right place and price. My time is worth money.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I priced sheds all over. It was more cost efficient for me to build one. I believe mine cost about $800+/- for my 12x12. I also wanted the ability to add shelves anywhere I wanted, and add nails all over to hang things.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In 2003 I had a 24' wide by 20' deep workshop built on-slab (like a small house). It is literally the best thing I've done with my property. If I had it to do over, I'd build 30X24 or bigger. ALWAYS build bigger than you think you need, unless you KNOW you will be leaving in 24 months or less. If you have a free space, fill it up!!! Within reason, of course.

My rule of thumb - build twice what you think you need. I started out wanting 12x16. Trust me.

Top Bottom