Shed/ garage storage ideas?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Anybody have any ideas that work? I've got a 2 car garage full of stuff that I'm trying to cram into a 10x20 shed...
    I have a very old open wire rack shelf system but it seems to attract clutter. Cabinets would be better.

immediate needs:
    Spare lumber storage
    Fishing rod rack
    Secure power tool storage

I had a nice place to clean rifles at one point but it seems to have been buried!

ideas and photos greatly appreciated!

kdavis1984

Practice, Practice
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Denham Springs
    what about one of those storage benches?? they have different sizes and are the rubbermaid kind i think. storage on the inside, seat on top and durable enough to be outside and not get destroyed. ive seen them at lowes, and stine lumber

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was kinda hoping to build something rather than blow $200. Seating isn't something I really need out there anyway. Not a bad idea though...

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Shelves- can't have too many.
    Peg Board - can't have to0 much.
    Plastic "Shoe" boxes from Walmart for $0.99.
    And bigger plastic bins as needed.

Use Avery or 3M labels to label everything.

If you want some old cabinets for peanuts, Camper, get thee to the Habitat Re-Store in the Marigny:

2830 Royal Street
    New Orleans, LA 70117

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Finished inner walls or studs? I cut 2x4's between the studs to store things on. Works great for all of the little stuff that seems to take so much space and now if I send the wife or kids to the shed to get something, they can find it easily. Got the idea from some orginizing book my wife bought.

ETA: at the 5 and 7 foot marks I have shelves going almost all the way around so I can free up as much floor space as possible.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Garage sale? Do you really need all that stuff?

Attic? Maybe make a new hole in the garage for easy access. Lay some decking down.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Ha! The attic is full of my wife's stuff... I couldn't fit another box up there if I tried! (we flooded for Katrina. What survived? All the crap I couldn't get my wife to get rid of pre-Katrina! She's a serious pack rat. That junk for a short time became my only worldly possessions! How's that for irony...)
    The stuff in the shed is probably 85 to 90% of value. Not enough for a garage sale. I do need to clean out but that's part of the organizing process.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I saw this cool idea, I think it's a ready made system but could be scratch built to your own measurements/needs. Basically, you install wood or metal rails spaced across the ceiling of your garage, even over the space where your garage door rolls up if there's enough clearance, and the rails are/can be made to fit set-sized storage bins between them. You fill the bin, lift it at one end of the rails, and slide it along to make space for the next one, the rails catching the top lip of the bin from underneath so the lid can even be put on the bin. Some stick-on/write-on labels can help recognize contents and sort for longer term storage in the middle and more often used items at the ends, or cycle seasonal items (holiday decorations and such) from one side to the next in a sliding rotation. I'm not the most handy do-it-yourselfer, but I think I could even manage building this set-up and am strongly considering giving it a try.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I recently went through the same process, and found more important than any amount of storage is to simply throw/give stuff away that you are realistically not gonna use. Some stuff was hard for me to get rid of (I'm quite a packrat), yet a few months later I don't miss a bit of it.

Other than that, go vertical. Every square foot of shelf and cabinet space used is a square foot of floor space saved. I got a couple nice Craftsman cabinets and shelves from Sears, they put them on sale pretty often and are usually the best deal. The cabinet I have does accept a lock, though would realistically be pretty easy to get into if one were determined. For valuable tools watch Craigslist for a nice job box.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    for power tool storage. the metal 4-5 drawer file cabinets work pretty well. if you watch craigslist you can usually pick them up fairly cheap. they also work well for storing other items like boxes of nails/screws paint cans stuff like that. the drawers aren't deep enough to stack stuff so deep that you have to dig to find stuff and they pull all the way out so you can visibly see what is in each drawer.

i went through the same issues a couple years ago. when i bought this house it had a small 12'x16' shed that was in pretty rough shape. it got to the point where i couldn't walk in without taking stuff out. i had all my tools, yard tools, 2 fourwheelers, riding mower, motorcycle in this thing and stuff stacked to the ceiling. i ended up building a new 16'x24' building for all my tools/toys and then built a second building 8'x12' for storage items (holiday stuff/ stuff the wife packratted and all of the kids outside toys) this proved to be the best option for myself as i don't have an attick. the storage building i built a 2' deep shelf all the way around it about 4' high. this allows me to use the rubber made bins and stack them 2 high all around it. then all the larger items i can store standing on the floor under neath that and still be able to move around in there. i have a pile of stuff stored in that little building but i can walk in the door and get to everything i need pretty quickly without moving stuff to do so. for storing outside in a building like this the rubber made bins are definatly the way to go because if critters (mice) or something get in they will make a mess of your items if stored in a cardboard box.

good luck with you "adventure" im fixing to do some remodeling in my shed as my needs have changed yet again and my 16' work bench is no longer adequate and im pretty sure i have some items that will no longer be of need. don't be afraid to throw stuff out. i tend to go through stages where i will collect stuff because it was given to me and i might be able to use it. then i end up with to much crap laying around and go on a cleaning spree. if i have stuff that has been laying around for 6 months and i haven't needed it chances are i probably wont so i trash it or give it away.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I just finished a 24X30 detached garage. Got tired of having to move things out of attached garage to get mower & stuff out. Also have been paying for 2 10X10 storage units for over 14 years. I now have a place for my mower to move in and out. Unfortunately after emptying the 2 storage units the new garage looks like the old one. Still no place for a vehicle. :(

Top Bottom