Shield EZ .380 problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I bought my wife a .380 Shield EZ recently. She and I have problems with the grip safety. It inconsistently works. Sometimes preventing firing even with a good grip. For a CC weapon this is unacceptable. Anyone else have this problem? Thank you, Charles

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I’ve shot a couple of EZ 380s and had no issue with the grip safety but I had an EZ9 and had problems with the grip safety. I found that you had to grip higher( at least for me) to make it reliable. It didn’t feel natural to me so I ended up selling it. It’s great for people who have trouble racking slides on other pistols. Plus they are super easy to load.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    If it is the grip safty and not user error send it in.
    I allways had great parts and service from Colt, S&W, Kimber, and Ruger. Major brands have no.problem sending a call tag,

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    My CC instructor had a EZ 380 and my wife and girls liked it way more than my RAMI 9mm. It was his wife’s CC and had lots put through it. I agree with 340 six and sending it in. Don’t know how old it is it I seem to remember about some of them having issues. I’m reconsidering getting one in 380 as I like the size and the wife could deal with it with no problems.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Thank you gentlemen.
    Thank You indeed. I gave one as a gift a couple years ago and bought some more when they weren't popular and went on clearance (PC gold). If I remember correctly, these came with or without a thumb safety. All of mine are without. Of those that had issues, did it have a thumb safety or not? Wondering if that makes a difference? Only 1 of the 4 I purchased has been shot and no issues.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I wanted to get one of these for my wife and then when the equalizer came out I was really interested but after doing some research and talking to a few folks I trust I steered clear of both. The most common problem I hear about is the guns beating themselves to death very early on or issues with the grip safety. I have 0 personal experience with one other than manipulating the action on one at a local gun shop.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I sold a bunch of those EZ Shields. S&W came up with a great concept. I used to keep four in stock at all times. One each with/without manual safety, and in each caliber.
    I had a group of female customers buying them during a period when gas station car jackings were in the news. They were all from the East.

Never had a complaint. I've fired all four variants without issue, but in itself, that is a very small sample size.

S&W customer service is fantastic. If it's an issue with the hardware, they'll take care of you.

I'd suggest try a software fix first, with a bit of training. Training is always a good thing, and any excuse to put lead downrange is a great one.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Do you have the regular one or the performance center one?

We've got 3 of them in the family, and the PC version with the silver or gold grip safety is an overwhelmingly terrible design because it won't depress flush with the grip and makes it very uncomfortable to shoot. If that's the case, you can send it in to Smith and they'll replace the shiny thing with a normal black one that depresses completely.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    Do you have the regular one or the performance center one?

We've got 3 of them in the family, and the PC version with the silver or gold grip safety is an overwhelmingly terrible design because it won't depress flush with the grip and makes it very uncomfortable to shoot. If that's the case, you can send it in to Smith and they'll replace the shiny thing with a normal black one that depresses completely.
    It is a standard model. Not PC.

Top Bottom