Shipping a rifle and ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exterra1

Oldiebutgoodie
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello all, I'm hoping to get some help with packaging and shipping a rifle, with scope mounted, along with 400 rounds of ammo, a benchrest, and a few other items that I have up for sale. I've never sold a gun before that required shipping and now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure where to begin with it. I know I can box up the canvas bag containing the ammo, benchrest, tail rest, etc, that's easy, but what's the best way to package the rifle and scope itself? The gun is in a plastic case that I typically use for transporting it to and from the local range and it's pretty sturdy, just not sure if that alone is enough. Any help from someone that has done this successfully would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you're sending it out of state, you will need to ship it to a FFL.
    If you're sending it in state, I would still send it to a FFL, although I can't remember if it's required.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    EX, you cannot ship the rifle and ammo together. Like Dave said, if shipping out of state then you have to ship it to an FFL. You need to include a readable copy of your D/L and it better be up to date. You will also need to pack the rifle in a box for shipping. Protect it as much as possible, you would be amazed at how these shipping companies can mess up a package. Make sue the package is taped up securely, same problem as before. The address needs to be BIG and readable, put tape over the address as well. Put a copy of your license in the package also. This should take care of it. It will cost more put the post office is easier to deal with around here, unless you use one of the others on a regular bases.

Beauxdog

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    just put the rifle in your hard plastic case, make sure it is unloaded and there is no ammo in case. Place your rifle case into a box, make sure it fits snug, tape it up, slap your label on it, pay to insure it and ship it. just do not put anything on the package that will identify it as a firearm, typically just identify shipped rifles as "Sporting Goods"..Ship the ammo seperately

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Shipping ammo is its own can of worms ... if you want to do it legally.

Loaded ammunition is considered hazmat and must be shipped as such. Luckily it is classified as ORM-D which puts it in the same class as shipping WD-40. This allows the average Joe to ship but some hoops have to be gone through.

CFR 173.63 states, "Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions that fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips". What this means is to pack it in boxes similar as what factory ammo comes in. If you have no boxes then find the cheapest plastic ammo boxes you can find. The only exclusion is .22 caliber rimfire ammo which can be shipped loose in a strong box.

The box has to be labeled as containing hazmat. Dig around the net and you can find images of the ORM-D sticker. Typically blue with white lettering. I have seen black with white lettering also. At least two sides must be labeled but CYA and do all four. Now weigh it. Maximum weight per box is 30kg or 66 pounds.

Take the box to a UPS or FedEx hub. Not the little stores in the strip mall. They won't accept it. At the hub you'll probably get a hassle from the counter person. They are trained to reject all hazmat unless you are registered as a hazmat shipper. Ask for the manager. Explain what you are shipping, Cartridges, Small Arms, and that it can go as ORM-D since it has been packed as per CFR 173.63 paragraph (b)(III) and is ORM-D as per CFR 172.101 in the hazmat table. Both carriers have hazmat experts they can call and get the OK to accept.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Or u can box it up and take it to the post office and if anyone asks its your dear Aunt Polly's alarm clocks.
    Shipping ammo is its own can of worms ... if you want to do it legally.

Loaded ammunition is considered hazmat and must be shipped as such. Luckily it is classified as ORM-D which puts it in the same class as shipping WD-40. This allows the average Joe to ship but some hoops have to be gone through.

CFR 173.63 states, "Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions that fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips". What this means is to pack it in boxes similar as what factory ammo comes in. If you have no boxes then find the cheapest plastic ammo boxes you can find. The only exclusion is .22 caliber rimfire ammo which can be shipped loose in a strong box.

The box has to be labeled as containing hazmat. Dig around the net and you can find images of the ORM-D sticker. Typically blue with white lettering. I have seen black with white lettering also. At least two sides must be labeled but CYA and do all four. Now weigh it. Maximum weight per box is 30kg or 66 pounds.

Take the box to a UPS or FedEx hub. Not the little stores in the strip mall. They won't accept it. At the hub you'll probably get a hassle from the counter person. They are trained to reject all hazmat unless you are registered as a hazmat shipper. Ask for the manager. Explain what you are shipping, Cartridges, Small Arms, and that it can go as ORM-D since it has been packed as per CFR 173.63 paragraph (b)(III) and is ORM-D as per CFR 172.101 in the hazmat table. Both carriers have hazmat experts they can call and get the OK to accept.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Or u can box it up and take it to the post office and if anyone asks its your dear Aunt Polly's alarm clocks.

With advice like this I wonder why people would bother coming here for this advice.

Do not follow that advice since it is in fact a felony.

A link to people following stupid advice like the above suggestion.

http://www.dgtraining.com/Enforcement/Penalties/criminal/DOT_oig.htm

It is really not a problem to ship ammo or firearms.

The rifle should be inspected carefully to ensure it is not loaded and there is no ammo in the case. The few I have shipped I removed teh bolt so there was no question it was safe. I also photographed the rifle in the box before I sealed the case. You can ship it USPS but I shipped mine fedex and just brought the closed box to the local Fedex/Kinkos. I explained what I was shipping to the clerk which is required. they then provided a suitable box for the cased firearm. It si then shipped overnight albeit a small fortune.

Ammo is done the same way but it is shipped ground normally. You box it up and declare it as hazmat small arms ammo.

Do not take shortcuts. If you do you cross the ATF & DOT and each count can be a felony.

A link to UPS
    https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/packaging/guidelines/ammunition.html

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    With advice like this I wonder why people would bother coming here for this advice.
    I don't feed trolls so that post wasn't worth my bandwidth.

It is really not a problem to ship ammo or firearms.

Ammo is done the same way but it is shipped ground normally. You box it up and declare it as hazmat small arms ammo.
    Technically, "cartridges, small arms". Got to declare it properly. The DOT takes a dim view of improperly declared hazmat.

Shipping ammo really isn't a big deal. Done a bit of it myself. Think about this. What of all those individuals who go to say Thunder Ranch or Gunsite for days long training. Think they buy their ammo local? Nope. They pack up the 1000 rounds and send it ahead to the training site. Granted you can carry ammo with you on the flight to the location. It's got to be in checked baggage. (duh) And you're limited to 5kg or 11 pounds of weight. Some carriers even specify how many rounds you can carry. Each airline has their own contract of carriage so it pays to check.

On point doing it right is a minor hassle at worst. Powder and primers? Ho boy a whole new level and even I who is trained in this can't do it.

Do not take shortcuts. If you do you cross the ATF & DOT and each count can be a felony.
    Neither of these agencies have a sense of humor. I've seen what the DOT can do and it isn't pretty or cheap.

Last edited:

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I usually pack rifles in a strong plastic case then enclose in a cardboard shipping box. If you go by your local florist and ask for a couple of rose boxes, you will have the outside box covered and who doesn't like to receive roses? LOL. Ammo, I have found is easiest to ship by UPS but not a storefront office. It has to be marked appropriately, and there is plenty of information about that online. Good Luck!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom