Shipping LONG guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biglag

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Prairieville
    I've seen the threads that says it's legal to ship long guns from one resident to another. But I've brought the gun to UPS and the post office and they say it's illegal. Then I called another post office and they said it is legal, so I brought it there and then the supervisor says I was misinformed, that it is illegal. So what now?

ComeToHim.org

vmcdonald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Greenwell Springs, LA
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

My understanding of this is that handguns are not to be shipped via USPS. Assuming my understanding is correct, I have been shipped from an individual from another state to my FFL handguns that were shipped via USPS. Or is this just within ones own state? Confused???

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    FFL's can ship them USPS as long as they jump thru the hoops that the USPS has set. It's allot easier to ship FedEx. This is what I do. Rule of thumb, If it's a handgun or an out of state shipment then it's going to the FFL.

biglag

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Prairieville
    Hey Donald will you please show me where you found that law at?
    Every single place I went to and called today will not do it
    ComeToHim.org

vmcdonald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Greenwell Springs, LA
    Hey Donald will you please show me where you found that law at?
    Every single place I went to and called today will not do it
    ComeToHim.org

This is where I pulled it from, you'd have to go to a local library or look online to read the full language. Cornell University Law School's website is a very good source to lookup Federal Code

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...ons-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-usps

Link to Code on Cornell's website:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

Last edited:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    FFL's can ship them USPS as long as they jump thru the hoops that the USPS has set. It's allot easier to ship FedEx. This is what I do. Rule of thumb, If it's a handgun or an out of state shipment then it's going to the FFL.

I ship handguns usps every day. There is a for to fill out for each package but the post man picks up and carries on.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I ship handguns usps every day. There is a for to fill out for each package but the post man picks up and carries on.

I had to fill out several different forms and bring authorized copies of my FFL info. Now after I did that I can ship whatever I need. My postman will not handle it ,I have to go to the Post Office and they check me out every time. It must be nice working/living in an area that's not in Baton Rouge.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I had to fill out several different forms and bring authorized copies of my FFL info. Now after I did that I can ship whatever I need. My postman will not handle it ,I have to go to the Post Office and they check me out every time. It must be nice working/living in an area that's not in Baton Rouge.

LOL. Yeah that sucks. I wonder if it's because we ship so much through them or if it's just the postmaster being a a$$ to you.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    LOL. Yeah that sucks. I wonder if it's because we ship so much through them or if it's just the postmaster being a a$$ to you.

I'd say it's the latter. I've been with an FFL buddy at the post office when he was sending a handgun via USPS. Just handed them a copy (not notarized or anything) of his FFL and the destination FFL, and one little form that basically stated both addresses and that it was indeed a firearm. They barely looked at the paperwork and the whole process took about 2 minutes tops.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    If anyone needs boxes to ship rifles, call me. I've got them coming out of every orifice. You can have as many as you can carry for free.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    no ammo.

I ship pistols USPS flat rate boxes often. One form(1508) and your done. Never have I had any issues.

If you ship a long gun, wrap the box in brown paper. You do not need to tell them what it is.

Top Bottom