Shipping of Firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sil-40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    What is the most efficient way to have firearms shipped from one private person to another?

What are the legalities and requirements that must be met to do so?

Also, if anyone knows what company would be best, please let me know.

The reason I ask is because my mother (who lives in Florida) is shipping my smith and wesson .357mag, .308, and .30-.30.

Flipn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    correct me if im wrong.. but firearms can only be shipped to an FFL and then it must be transfered there (from one owner to another)..

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    if they belong to you, i'm relatively certain they don't have to go through an FFL since you're not purchasing them. someone else should probably chime in, though. i know ive read before that you can ship a firearm to yourself so this would pretty much be the same thing.

sil-40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I'm not purchasing. I'm just trying to save myself from having to fly and/or drive to St. Pete, FL just to get my guns.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    not sure what company mine was shipped with... I dont think the postal service can ship guns... UPS or Fedex w/insurance should be your best bet. call a local ups/fedex office and see what their rules are for shipping firearms. I'd imagine you cant ship ammo in the same box, and possibly would have to box it up before you bring it to the office.

sil-40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    not sure what company mine was shipped with... I dont think the postal service can ship guns... UPS or Fedex w/insurance should be your best bet. call a local ups/fedex office and see what their rules are for shipping firearms. I'd imagine you cant ship ammo in the same box, and possibly would have to box it up before you bring it to the office.

Do you think I could put them in a carry case or 2 and then have them put that INSIDE a box? That's just an odd shape box.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    The required overnight shipping of a handgun is the carriers decision. I ship my firearms Fed-Ex and most of my handguns have gone 3-day delivery every time. Just declare the package is indeed a handgun and let the person at the counter ship it however they see fit. The one near my house asks me "What shipping method do you prefer?" even after I say it's a handgun. I say "3-day is fine." They tape it up, label it, and I'm outta there.

Some people think not shipping a handgun overnight is a violation of BATF regulations, it's not. Here's info straight from each carrier:

1) US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the US Post Offer Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

2) UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM an unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modifications.

3) FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.

As you can see on #3 above...it states FedEx will only ship firearms overnight, but some locations will let you ship them however you want to if you're lucky (like the one by my house). Them letting me ship any way I choose literally cuts my shipping cost in half on firearms.

I've tried all of them...if you're not licensed, FedEx is the best carrier to use when shipping firearms, period.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph

you can ship long guns with USPS

FFL's can ship pistols USPS

the best bang for your buck would be go with UPS (united package smashers) vs FEDEX

depending on the number of guns it may also be cost effective to actually drive them down.

glockboy98

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2006
    Metairie
    i think it's safer having the guns sent to a gunstore, just to be on the safe side. It's not worth the hassle and possible legal set backs for shipping guns to your personal residence(which i don't think you can do without an ffl).

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    There are special circumstances where you can have the firearms shipped to you since they are yours. Call and find out the details.

Worst case scenario they will have to go to an FFL and you'll have to pay a transfer fee to pick them up. But like you said you are just wanting firearms you already own sent to you so you shouldn't have to worry about the FFL.

Last edited:

hickman

hiding in the piney woods
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    Alexandria, LA
    The last time I checked, it is legal to have your guns shipped directly to you, otherwise you would have to have them shipped to an ffl when they come back from being repaired at an out of state 'smith.
    here is what I found over on the high road.

Here's a clipping from the ATF's FAQ http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10 about shipping to yourself

Quote:
    May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom