Shooting at night?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    I recently rescued a golden retriever from the local high-volume, outdoor breeding facility. She is a relatively well behaved dog. She doesn't have problems with other dogs, cats, squirrels, or birds. The only big problem is with rabbits. We live outside of Covington, in a rather rurul area on 5 acres. It isn't uncommon to have a rabbit in the backyard at night. I try to make sure all is clear before I bring the dog out, but at 1 a.m. PJ is a lot better at spotting rabbits 50 yards off than I am. Luckily I have been able to get her back before she hits the treeline, but I am worried that one night she won't listen.

So, on private property would it be legal to shoot rabbits at night for the purpose of pest control? Also, would it be legal to eat said rabbit which was killed for the purpose of pest control? I was taught not to let good meat go to waste as a child, and it would seem wasteful not to turn a perfectly good rabbit into a tasty meal.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm 99% sure they'd consider that "spotlighting"/"bull-eyeing", but I would have to agree that rabbit is pretty damn good eating. Just sayin'.;)

AB%20036.jpg

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Uh... ever heard of this thing called a "leash"?????

Yes I have, and I do put her on the leash sometimes while bringing her out. I know there is a leash law in Louisiana, and I suppose I should read it in it's entirety to find out if I am breaking a law by letting the dog do her business in our own yard off-leash. The area we live in is rather rural, and everyone else just seems to let their dogs out and close the door. My neighbors dog for some reason feels the need to come and do hos business in our yard several times a week. But seeing as it is a small dog and makes small messes, and the neighbor is a LEO that works to protect our community, I don't see it as a big enough deal to bother him over it. I would just like to remain on the porch when my dog has to go crap in the middle of the nite. I suppose that is just laziness on my part though, and leashing her everytime I bring her out would reduce the chances of her getting away from me. 70lb dog and a collar that isn't tight enough to cause discomfort is a combination that could easily fail, if she decided she wanted to slip her collar and eat a rabbit.

So, no shooting at night. Got it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Leash laws are typically up to the parish to define, I haven't seen one in LA law. EBR Parish says dogs must be fenced or leashed at all times, cats must remain on owners property.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Leash laws are typically up to the parish to define, I haven't seen one in LA law. EBR Parish says dogs must be fenced or leashed at all times, cats must remain on owners property.

I will try to find it in the parish ordinances. I'm not really concerned that I'm going to have someone show up and write me a ticket, seeing as they would need to ticket everyone else out here, I would just like to know. Anytime I bring her out in the front yard or off our property, she is on a leash.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Oleheat, I'm not sure what all else is in that other than rabbit, but it looks delicious. Seems like you did a good job browning that meat without burning it, bet it didn't last long.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You know, since you live in a mostly rural area, you could also plant some ryegrass towards the back of your property. Plant it close to the edge of where they're coming from- the briar patch (seriously) or woods, and pick them off legally with a scoped .22 rifle just before dark. Rabbits love ryegrass. You already like rabbit meat, and I guarantee you that you'd have a ball doing it....Just a thought.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Oleheat, I'm not sure what all else is in that other than rabbit, but it looks delicious. Seems like you did a good job browning that meat without burning it, bet it didn't last long.

Haha, I wish I could take credit for that- but I just borrowed the pic from the net!!:rofl:

We have fried plenty of rabbit in our day, though. That is some good stuff....

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    You know, since you live in a mostly rural area, you could also plant some ryegrass towards the back of your property. Plant it close to the edge of where they're coming from- the briar patch (seriously) or woods, and pick them off legally with a scoped .22 rifle just before dark. Rabbits love ryegrass. You already like rabbit meat, and I guarantee you that you'd have a ball doing it....Just a thought.

Definately something to consider. I would like to find some of those arrowheads with the little grasscatcher thingymabobs on em and try to hit one with my bow

Top Bottom