Shooting classes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I do not want to come off as a cheap but i was wondering if anyone knows of a place to get some hands on/tips on shooting? I have been watching youtube for the most part but as if i can only train myself from what i see granted if someone is being safe. If i make a mistake i am not normally inclined to notice as were someone else might. As far as which type of training i am looking for it would be anything from self defense, hunting/controlled breathing trigger squeeze, even tactical.

Just interested in learning more but i am limited to paying due to bills and college. I would not say this is a hobby but more of a way of life i may be missing fundamentals and experience on grasping.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Awsome thanks guate, im not trying to insult guys by getting free shooting classes or anything i just thought that thier might be a few guys out there that do it as a community service.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Go to some of the USPSA matches in the area. Start off going to watch and talk to folks. You'll be wanting to shoot the matches as soon as you get the feel for what's going on out there. Always folks willing to give pointers to new shooters out there.

www.lagator.org

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Awsome thanks guate, im not trying to insult guys by getting free shooting classes or anything i just thought that thier might be a few guys out there that do it as a community service.

I help anyone and everyone that asks me questions at the range. Now, lemme preface by saying there's a lot of guys here who shoot so much better than me its almost embarrassing, but I'm always available to those that don't shoot as well. The most important thing (and what the vast majority of gun owners don't know) is to know and live the 4 fundamentals of marksmanship. Everything else is specialized. Once you Know and practice those, your marksmanship with everything is a lot better.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge

The only potential drawback to your approach is that you stand a very good chance of being taught inefficient ("bad") techniques. Then you practice using those techniques and ingrain very bad habits. There are plenty of folks at various ranges who will be happy to "help" you -- but they frequently have some weird, personalized, self-developed style of shooting that they saw in a movie.

I understand your economic situation. If you truly can't afford to invest in a lesson or two from a knowledgeable instructor, you should at least invest $10 in a book entitled "Surgical Speed Shooting" by Andy Stanford. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ld-keywords=surgical+speed+shooting&x=15&y=13

This book contains step-by-step instructions (with step-by-step photos) on the Modern Isosceles grip and stance. This book explains why, as well as how, this style of shooting works. You will find few, if any, of the top competition shooters in the country who do not shoot using the isosceles style.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What Dawg said. It's just not worth risking bad advice. Read books until you can afford training with a proper instructor. In fact, I have a copy of Surgical Speed Shooting, as well as Tactical Reality by Louis Awerbuck you can borrow if I can dig them up. Also, there is an Intro to Defensive Pistol class with Paul Gomez coming up in a couple weeks. I'd sell bodily fluids if you have to... ;)

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Have someone video you shooting in a local competitive shooting match or set up some scenarios in your back yard to shoot with airsoft Have them focus more on you than the targets.

Review it and you will probably be motivated to do whatever it takes to get some top-notch training.

Keep having someone video you as you progress and keep all of the old videos.

As you learn to diagnose yourself in the videos, your ability to fix your technique while shooting will improve.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    In Metaire you might also be able to talk to Brannon or William with NOLATAC.

I know they are no longer sponsors here but the guys do have experience behind them and they might be able to squeeze you in on some basic intro stuff if they have something on their calender, or they might just be going to the range and invite you to tag along.

The class mentioned by Speedracer is def a great class in the next couple of weeks but the cost might turn you away, I believe we were ALL in your shoes at some point or another and it took a while to understand why we HAVE to invest in this sort of things.

Barret has an INTRO to defensive shooting class that is VERY affordable and I believe runs in the 3hr time frame.

Other than that, read read read read

But remember that NOTHING you do will replace trigger time with live ammo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom