Shooting From Inside the Car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FXDWG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2015
    Covington, LA
    While a gunshot in an enclosed environment might cause damage, it is likely that auditory exclusion which occurs in such situations might gain you a free pass. I only fired once in a moment of need and the sound was a small pop. I could not believe how light that sound was.

I do carry earplugs in my vehicles but not for this reason - they are for going to ranges often and also at night when around noisy places.
    You guys wear hearing protection when you hunt? I never have, the adrenilene rushing through my body somehow protects my hearing.
    I started wearing my head set when hunting. It increased my hearing and a side benefit was that it would cancel the sound of the gunshot.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    After exposure to any loud sounds (gunfire, construction equipt, lawn mowers, rock concerts), if your ears are ringing you have damaged your hearing. It might be minimal, but it is a cumulative effect and over time will result in permanent hearing loss. Once it's gone, it cannot be regained.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    While a gunshot in an enclosed environment might cause damage, it is likely that auditory exclusion which occurs in such situations might gain you a free pass. I only fired once in a moment of need and the sound was a small pop. I could not believe how light that sound was.

I do carry earplugs in my vehicles but not for this reason - they are for going to ranges often and also at night when around noisy places.

I started wearing my head set when hunting. It increased my hearing and a side benefit was that it would cancel the sound of the gunshot.
    That is not how auditory exclusion works.

Your brain tunes out ("excludes") the sound such that you are not aware of it at the time. That's why you only perceive a small pop.

Tuning out the sound does not mean that your ears are not subjected to the pressure from the sound, which can and likely will still cause damage.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Having spent several years in the US Army with the Field Artillery (big guns) (Howitzers) as a Drill Sgt. responsible for training the Advanced Individual Training trainees from start to graduation and being on the firing line with every thing from the 105mm"s / 155mm"s / 175mm"s / and the 8 inch howitzers.. some in the towed version and some in the self propelled version.... And later testing a completely new design 155mm Howitzer that had a new recoil design as well as some newly designed ammo that greatly surpassed previous range distances.. But the draw back was the sound report and the concussion upon firing at the gun position was such that the gun crew was limited as to how many rounds that they could fire within a given time frame because of the sound damage to the ears (even with protection) as well as internal body organ damage suffered by the gun crew.... Now this was under extreme Artic cold weather conditions (up to and included greater than -50*F )... The damage can be cumlative over the years from many different sources..................... drill sgt.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    If you hold the gun up and sideways you can get your strong side shoulder to cover that side ear. Use your off hand index finger too plug the other ear. Not going to be able to use your sights, so a laser would be good, or train point shooting from this position.

Or just do what this thread has advised, shoot your suppressed gun in 38 spl out of the sunroof.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you hold the gun up and sideways you can get your strong side shoulder to cover that side ear. Use your off hand index finger too plug the other ear. Not going to be able to use your sights, so a laser would be good, or train point shooting from this position.

Or just do what this thread has advised, shoot your suppressed gun in 38 spl out of the sunroof.
    Dammit
    You've got me trying to cover my right ear with my right shoulder.
    I can't. Either I need more upper body work out, or you're joshing us.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Dammit
    I have a short neck and wide shoulders. You may have to use your upper arm. Trust me it is an awkward position.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Dammit
    Bring your right hand over your head and left shoulder, with your right thumb horizontal towards the left. :D

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I just cringe every time I see a cop firing at a perp thru the windshield! You not going to hit anything like that and it's a safety hazard to the surrounding people. That bullet is being deflected to no telling where.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I just cringe every time I see a cop firing at a perp thru the windshield! You not going to hit anything like that and it's a safety hazard to the surrounding people. That bullet is being deflected to no telling where.
    they dont have to pay for it, and their hearing probably could get them disability at work, but at the end of the day you've still got to shoot a hole out of the windshield so that you can shoot through it. It's just part of the process. You cant have a rolling shootout, like you're in Afghanistan, without properly field modifying your ride.

Wtf you been bro? That's how it works! Survive at all cost, stop the bad guys at all costs, go home at the end of the day at all costs, no matter who, what, where, or collateral.

The Public always pays!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom