Shooting on family land near a highway

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadwall

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Houma
    Me and some friends go shooting by my family property down Montegut , they have a hurricane protection levee that we shoot towards acting as a back stop , my question is its only about 200 feet. From the highway what is the law of discharging a firearm by a highway and its not around camps ? Reason for asking some people said our bullets are going thru the levee. I doubt that but im not aware of the law and we never go approached by law enforcement yet

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Damn. Through the levee? WTF you shootin?!

If there's a road on top of that levee I'd seriously rethink shooting in that direction. Otherwise, I believe the parish (insert Sherriff dept here) would be able to tell you the lawful distance from a roadway out of city limits. Probably 500 feet though.

Gadwall

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Houma
    There is no road way on top the levee , the road is to our back , we only shoot , Ar, AKs , .308 , and our pistols , where we shooting at people can go fishing on the other side in a boat its ponds , I highly think its just the sounds of the weapons going off because its like a war zone its anywheres from 3 to 4 assault rifles at a time. They have a drainage ditch between us and the levee and the levee is 20 feet tall and over 50 feet wide. When I was told its going thru the levee my reponse was damn I wouldnt be about to even go to a rifle range.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Ricochet, bullets do strange things!
    If you have some tracers and aren't worried about setting anything on fire, do a mag dump into the levee and you'll see!! Their not going through the levee tho

Gadwall

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Houma
    I really think its the sound of the guns going off , where the people were fishing behind the levee the other day were about 300 yards from us up the bayou behind the levee fishing. The levee is about 60 yards from us and is 20 feet high 60 feet wide

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I think you will open up a can of worms if you go tell people you are shooting into a hurricane protection levee. You need to ask, without incriminating yourself, the proper authorities, including the levee district or Corps of Engineers.[ Whoever built the levee].

I don't think you will hear the answer you hope to hear.

Gadwall

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Houma
    I hear you , we are shooting targets and we arent shooting directly at the levee to tear it up , my question is how far from a highway is it legal to discharge a firearm. The levee is behind our targets and on our property , and the levee is about 60 yards from the target. These people are saying our bullets are going thru and tbru and buzzing by their head. We shoot into the ground most of our shots

Top Bottom