shooting prone at honey island, or sherburne

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    does anyone know if either of the two ranges will let you shoot prone? i know you can benchrest, but didn't know about the other. thanks.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    He was on the concrete, but think he used a small mat, wasnt sure what distance though, bc they had targets at 25 and 50 yards.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have shot prone at Sherburne. Plus who the heck is gonna stop ya? Last time the wife and I went we brought pumkins and shot them up. We just made sure we cleaned up our mess after we done.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Prone at Honey Island on the rifle line is fine. Remember the angle of fire changes when shooting prone and rounds still need to impact the berm. Targets should be far enough out and stapled low for this to happen. Usually, targets need to be at least 50 yards out, but probably better suited at 75 or 100.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Prone at Honey Island is fine. Remember the angle of fire changes when shooting prone and rounds still need to impact the berm. Targets should be far enough out and stapled low for this to happen. Usually, targets need to be at least 50 yards out, but probably better suited at 75 or 100.

yeah that's why i didn't know if they would let you out there

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    You mean like a RO in the military or at a USPSA match? No you just go out and shoot at will. Never been to a civilian range that had an RO outside of a match.

ARboy

Master Class
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    I've shot prone tons of times out at Honey Island, at both 50 and 100 yards. It was not a problem. I staple the targets low, so that I don't have to change my position very much to get my NPA right.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    there is no range masters there?

can you set up whatever you want to shoot? im really wanting to shoot a "paintball match" with some friends. a paintball on a golf tee at 50 yards

I have never seen anyone but a few other fellow shooters at Sherburne. I have never even seen a Wildlife Agent come by the range while I was there. I have shot various things there, but nothing that would leave a mess. Unless things have changed there, shooting paintballs off golf tees would be no problem. It actually sounds fun to try!

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    I shoot prone at Honey Island, frequently. It's not an issue, and yes, do bring a mat. The concrete is not forgiving. Also, I suggest setting up on the right side of the bench. Yesterday I was setup on the left as usual, not thinking about the guy next to me shooting an AR. Hot shells kept landing on the back of my bare legs, so I switched sides.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I shoot prone at Honey Island, frequently. It's not an issue, and yes, do bring a mat. The concrete is not forgiving. Also, I suggest setting up on the right side of the bench. Yesterday I was setup on the left as usual, not thinking about the guy next to me shooting an AR. Hot shells kept landing on the back of my bare legs, so I switched sides.

That is why I tell my juniors to wear long pants. If they don't, it is only 1 time. :)

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I have had an agent come by and observe while I was shooting. (at Sherburne) I stopped and talked with him a while. The only thing he said to me was not to shoot at objects on the ground, and to try and make sure the bullets hit the back stop. When no one else was there but me, I have moved forward of the concrete and shot from the grass. As long as safe gun handeling is used I don't see a problem with it. Now I shoot mostly at my own range so I can pretty much do what I want. (Always keeping it safe, I don't try to qucik draw, and shoot my self in the foot)

Top Bottom