Shopping for a Church in Baton Rouge... Looking for suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The wife and I have tried a few different Churches in town... We tried local Lutheran, Baptist, and Methodist Churches. We aren't looking for a particular domination, but some type of Protestant church with a "Modern" service (read: polos and khakis) where the first thing isn't about raising money for the new addition and sermons relative to life.

Not looking to meet up with someone and go, we'd like to just attend a few services and see how it is. Just looking for some suggestions of places to try with good down to earth folk.

Thanks!

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The wife and I have tried a few different Churches in town... We tried local Lutheran, Baptist, and Methodist Churches. We aren't looking for a particular domination, but some type of Protestant church with a "Modern" service (read: polos and khakis) where the first thing isn't about raising money for the new addition and sermons relative to life.

Not looking to meet up with someone and go, we'd like to just attend a few services and see how it is. Just looking for some suggestions of places to try with good down to earth folk.

Thanks!

I sent u a PM but didn't really address the "modern service" you mentioned. I'm not sure exactly what else that could be referencing other than the music. We have mostly contemporary music, like the stuff they play on KLOVE, but the pastor does use the bible for sermon material. IOW, it's not necessarily always what some may refer to as a "feel-good" message, but he does a pretty good job of relating it to everyday life and no old-school fire and brimstone. I hope that helps.

MBS next to Woodlawn high

is Most Blessed Sacrament Protestant now? ;)

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    First UPC of Baton Rouge on Jones Creek. Good place, good people. I don't go there, but have been in the past and went about a month or two ago.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Check for a Waters Edge Church, there are a bunch around the US. I have seen the one here in LC several times and it's definently modern , laid back and people wear shorts or what ever they want

I go to a little Baptist CHurch here in the woods, wear shorts and flip flops ...on the platform playing Bass, they haven't booted me in 3 years ( so far )

I personaly wouldn't go to one that had a dress code...IIRC the founder of Christianity wasn't a snappy dresser either.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Healing Place on Highland Rd between Airline and I-10. Several morning service times, three I believe.

i've also heard good things about the healing place.
    very real, very meaningful - brought new life to a few of my frustrated ex-catholic buddies.

I don't know what this guy is selling, but his congregation is buying! I just hope not hook, line, and sinker.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    Chapel on the Campus has a mixed audience ranging from college kids on up to retired folks. Great group of people. Greenwell Springs baptist is another really good option but its up in Central. A very patriotic pastor there.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    First Presbyterian of Baton Rouge

www.fpcbr.org

Has an 8:45 Contemporary (Casual clothing fine) and 10:45 Classic (fine dress advisable- lots of blue hairs).

Everyone is really friendly and very welcoming to new people. You won't find much "clique" activity going on.

Top Bottom