Shortage on Ammunition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I need some hlep understanding this please. Yes I can see why people are running out buying every .223 5.56 and 7.62 in sight but why is 9mm in such high demand and flying off the shelves just as fast? I go to the store and they have a reasonable selection of .40 and .45 but no 9 at all. Did I miss something? Is 9 really that much more desireable and popular that the other handgun calibers? Maybe a ton of people have 9mm AR?

I just bought an AR in 9mm and wanted to try it out, guess that will have to wait.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    .40 is still a relatively new caliber compared to 9mm so there are a lot more 9mm weapons out there. Also a lot more people who never decided 40 was the new and improved 9mm.
    As for .45, well the .40 came along and made that obsolete.
    There ya go. Question answered.

Now I'll just lay down in this fox hole while the flak starts

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I think its all ammo both of the wal marts close to me don't have much other than rifle and some shotgun ammo left. I haven't seen a bulk box of .22 since all this started even academy has sold out of all the .22 ammo they had and even the Choot em brand that i thought would never sale is all gone. Just a box or two of 50rnd federal is left.

I guess with everything being harder to find people have started shooting .22's a lot more these past couple weeks which would explain the shortage. I'm happy that i have some supply but i still find it odd because something that is always there is now gone lol.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I think its all ammo both of the wal marts close to me don't have much other than rifle and some shotgun ammo left. I haven't seen a bulk box of .22 since all this started even academy has sold out of all the .22 ammo they had and even the Choot em brand that i thought would never sale is all gone. Just a box or two of 50rnd federal is left.

I guess with everything being harder to find people have started shooting .22's a lot more these past couple weeks which would explain the shortage. I'm happy that i have some supply but i still find it odd because something that is always there is now gone lol.

Someone on here mentioned .22 was a favorite amond preppers, that would explain why there are no .22 and you cant even find the junk stuff, I'm kinda pissed because I wanted some of the green tracer in the .22 looks like I may never get my hands on it (by never I mean having to wait 8 months lol)

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    .40 is still a relatively new caliber compared to 9mm so there are a lot more 9mm weapons out there. Also a lot more people who never decided 40 was the new and improved 9mm.

I beg to differ. 45acp has been around for more than 100 years and it's still very popular. .40 was not designed to replace 9mm or 45acp but it was the FBI's answer to a compromise between 9mm and 10mm. 40 is a good round but it will never replace the 45acp nor the 9mm, and it wasn't meant to.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie

Not even the crappy stuff is left, you can find 40 and 45 in both crappy and supreme makes. I was just really suprised by what I found, especially with all the bashing of 9mm that I see and hear about

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    9mm has always been popular, and even more so when ammo prices went up after the '08 election. Lots of people dumped their .40 and .45 pistols for 9mm. I'd say it's easily the most popular handgun round right now. As to why everyone is buying it up...for the same reason they're panic buying ARs and .223 ammo.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i think it has more to do with people being retarded more than anything. anytime something happens people freak out and go out and buy up everything they can. same way with hurricanes. people feel the need to go out and buy all kinds of "stuff" just in case.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    i think it has more to do with people being retarded more than anything. anytime something happens people freak out and go out and buy up everything they can. same way with hurricanes. people feel the need to go out and buy all kinds of "stuff" just in case.

For the last hurricane I stopped off at the doller store to get some snacks and everyone was in there panic buying and such. I walked up to the register with 2 packs of oreos, animal cookies and some mini snickers and she gave me the strangest look... so i said "I am getting JUST the essentials"....

I don't have a ton of prep but I am never caught with my pants down either..

Last edited:

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    9mm has always been popular, and even more so when ammo prices went up after the '08 election. Lots of people dumped their .40 and .45 pistols for 9mm. I'd say it's easily the most popular handgun round right now. As to why everyone is buying it up...for the same reason they're panic buying ARs and .223 ammo.

I can understand being scared into buying .223 with the mention of baning AR or large mags all that, but there was no mention to banning 9mm or handguns. Yes I went to buy 9mm but only 1 box, not 5 cases like some did. I was just simply shocked that they ate up the 9mm as fast as it can be put on shelves while 40 and 45 sat, .22 .223 and 7.62 I understand

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    For the last hurricane I stopped off at the doller store to get some snacks and everyone was in there panic buying and such. I walked up to the register with 2 packs of oreos, animal cookies and some mini snickers and she gave me the strangest look... so i said "I am getting JUST the essentials"....

I don't have a ton of prep but I am never caught with my pants down either..

Hey, as long as you have oreos, you have the world. Nuff said

nomadic1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    St. Tammany
    I can understand being scared into buying .223 with the mention of baning AR or large mags all that, but there was no mention to banning 9mm or handguns. Yes I went to buy 9mm but only 1 box, not 5 cases like some did. I was just simply shocked that they ate up the 9mm as fast as it can be put on shelves while 40 and 45 sat, .22 .223 and 7.62 I understand

You might want to re-read the proposed Feinstein legislation. It seeks to ban all semi-automatic rifles, HANDGUNS, and shotguns.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    johnny-carson-toilet-paper.jpg

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    You might want to re-read the proposed Feinstein legislation. It seeks to ban all semi-automatic rifles, HANDGUNS, and shotguns.

I will have to seek the actual legislation as most of what I have read are hear say and posts on here. The mojority of what I have been reading are failed attempts of gun control in other countries where criminals run around stealing whatever they want because nobody has a gun to pull on them and take control.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I need some hlep understanding this please. Yes I can see why people are running out buying every .223 5.56 and 7.62 in sight but why is 9mm in such high demand and flying off the shelves just as fast? I go to the store and they have a reasonable selection of .40 and .45 but no 9 at all. Did I miss something? Is 9 really that much more desireable and popular that the other handgun calibers? Maybe a ton of people have 9mm AR?

I just bought an AR in 9mm and wanted to try it out, guess that will have to wait.

If you are unable to find any 9mm to try your rifle out contact me by PM. I am in Walker and have a small amount of Quality Ammunition. None Listed For Sale!
    American Eagle in 115/124/147, Lawman in 124/124+P, Winchester 124 NATO.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The argument can be made that this panic and shortage shows what americans really want. When I hear some meatpuppet on the news saying "Americans want gun control" I think of how americans are buying rifles and ammunition faster than they can be supplied because they want to own the weapons. If americans really wanted gun control, the panic would be at the police stations. Squads of people lined up with assault rifles saying "Please, take this gun from me and destroy it. It has no legitimate purpous and it is nothing more than a tool of destruction." In a inconvienent kind of way, this shortage is hopefully sending some kind of message.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    "Trickle down" buying. People go shopping for ARs, 5.56, etc. Nothing left, so maybe I'll just stock up on some 9mm while I'm here. Just more people shopping, and while they're out, they'll get whatever they can use.

I don't quite understand why you can't find a 10 round mag for an AR. Just wow!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom