Shotgun Legal Tips Needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilcrazykev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Marrero/Harvey
    Hi, I am about to purchase an Mossberg Maverick 88 Home Defense version and I'm 18 years old. I was wondering if I purchase a third party tactical kit (which includes a fore-end, 6-Position Stock, and a Pistol Grip), am I allowed to purchase and install the kit on the Mossberg Maverick 88, even though I am 18 years old?

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hi, I am about to purchase an Mossberg Maverick 88 Home Defense version and I'm 18 years old. I was wondering if I purchase a third party tactical kit (which includes a fore-end, 6-Position Stock, and a Pistol Grip), am I allowed to purchase and install the kit on the Mossberg Maverick 88, even though I am 18 years old?

Yes, as long as you aren't cutting the barrel down to less than 18 inches it's fine. (That would make it a SBS-short barreled shotgun and would require a tax stamp for being an NFA item) At 18 you can legally possess a rifle or handgun. You can purchase long guns from an FFL but handguns must be acquired through private sellers until you are 21.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I think the correct answer here is most likely legal, I think there is a minimum barrel length and a minimum total gun length, but I think most / all the commercial pistol grips make for a legal length gun.with any legal barrel ON a technicality if you remove the stock from some shotguns without first removing the barrel while working on it you may be breaking the Short barrel shotgun law.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    What are the mavericks selling for nowdays? When I bought mine a few years back( it was under $140), it was half the cost of an 870. Mine has had 0 issues and was bought as a bang around gun and has had cases thru it, maybe cleaned twice.
    I will say that if I were going to trick a shotgun out such as you say, the aftermarket has a lot more available for the 870 and some others.
    Kind of like the ruger 1022 not really being the best .22 rifle you can get, but the aftermarket makes it a good choice for customizing- there are better out of the box .22s out there and they cost less than a 1022.
    Really though, it is all in what YOU want.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Ok, but why is it that I must be 21 to purchase a shotgun with a pistol grip, but yet I could get the aftermarket parts with no problems?

Some companies have stupid policies not to sell "tactical" rifles (read: AR or AK) and pistol grip shotguns to persons under 21 even though it is perfectly legal. Uninformed employees will pass these policies off as "law" because they don't know any better.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Howdy,

Just something you should know about the 88 Maverick.
    It is made in Mexico and distributed by Mossberg.
    It does not accept regular Mossberg accessories so be certain you can actually modify it the way you intend before you buy it.
    I believe the forearm (pump part) is not replaceable.
    Same for the stock.
    That said, they are great shotguns for little money.
    Quite reliable.
    Hope this helps.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Howdy,

Just something you should know about the 88 Maverick.
    It is made in Mexico and distributed by Mossberg.
    It does not accept regular Mossberg accessories so be certain you can actually modify it the way you intend before you buy it.
    I believe the forearm (pump part) is not replaceable.
    Same for the stock.
    That said, they are great shotguns for little money.
    Quite reliable.
    Hope this helps.

I was looking at the Maverick 88 as a cheep home defense gun but opted to look elsewhere because I read the same stuff. From what I read SOME but not all of the accessories for a Mossberg 500 will fit the Maverick 88 but the deal killer for me is that I read, like you stated above, the forearm can't be replaced with anything aftermarket.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I had the 88. It was a nice gun. Bought it from academy and got the pistol grip from Hebert's. I bought the standard mossberg pistol grip and it fit right on no problems. You just can't really Change the forend.... But I didn't intend to do no problem and money saved.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom